Korean tensions

gman4tide

All-SEC
Nov 21, 2005
Flint Creek
What is going on over there? Dad was career army and spent 2 years over there in the 70's. He always said those folks would fight forever, guess he was right. What are they so fired up about now?

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Typical back and forth, I suspect nothing will come from it, though the fact that NK fired a few rockets into SK is notable - I think that's the first time since the armistice was signed that SK soil was attacked.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
What is going on over there? Dad was career army and spent 2 years over there in the 70's. He always said those folks would fight forever, guess he was right. What are they so fired up about now?
Power struggle at the top of the NK side.
Un's first, so the ride may get bumpy since he does not know how the game is played.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
Someone in the South said something about that lard _____'s ridiculous hair cut.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Two for flinching.
Yes, but thank goodness.
I remember one year, the North Korean Navy attacked and sank a South Korean naval vessel killing and wounding several South Korean sailors.
At the next negotiations, North Korea's representatives actually told the South, "Our armed forces re literally out of control. If you don't give us some food aid, we don't know what they'll do next. We can't control them." They actually used their own murder of SK sailors as a bargaining chip.

Last edited:

formersoldier71

All-American
May 9, 2004
Jasper, AL
Typical back and forth, I suspect nothing will come from it...
That's my first thought. The U.S. has held 2 major exercises per year with the ROKA for a long time. Those always bring crazy talk. On top of that, there's the crazy talk when crazy wants to talk.
Yes, but thank goodness.
No kidding. It's been a little over ten years since my tour there, and I don't remember specific numbers any more... but during our in-briefing we were told how many tons of ordnance would fall on Seoul (per hour, I think). It was a very impressive number. Also, the average life expectancy in Area 1 (near the DMZ) once the balloon went up was measured in seconds; it was less than a minute.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
No kidding. It's been a little over ten years since my tour there, and I don't remember specific numbers any more... but during our in-briefing we were told how many tons of ordnance would fall on Seoul (per hour, I think). It was a very impressive number. Also, the average life expectancy in Area 1 (near the DMZ) once the balloon went up was measured in seconds; it was less than a minute.
I've never been there, but I've heard similar from those who, like you, were stationed there. It's sad that Seoul is so close to the DMZ as that entire city will be destroyed very quickly.

And unless someone can knock fatboy-kim and his ilk off and free those people, it's just a matter of time before someone pushes it too far.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
I've never been there, but I've heard similar from those who, like you, were stationed there. It's sad that Seoul is so close to the DMZ as that entire city will be destroyed very quickly.

And unless someone can knock fatboy-kim and his ilk off and free those people, it's just a matter of time before someone pushes it too far.
Seoul, north of the river is within range of North Korean artillery right now. And the guns are dug into a mountain so deep, it would be very hard to knock them out. Seoul will be a mess if a real shooting war starts up again.
The North Koreans and the United Nations did not sign a treaty, just a ceasefire, which has generally lasted since 1953, but they are not at peace.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.