Link: AJ McCarron and Jameis Winston to square off tonight on ESPN

Capt. Jack

Suspended
Jun 20, 2006
Cincy has a bad team. It'll take some time for AJ to knock off the rest. He had a decent game last night considering. Wallace Gilberry and Dre Kirkpatrick also made a few plays.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Dalton is terrible and overpaid. It shouldn't require a Bledsoe-Brady situation for Dalton to be out as their quarterback if he is mediocre this year (and the W-L suffers for it).
Yeah and remind me what has happened the last 4 years in terms of Ws and Ls.

Yep that's one terrible qb. *** blue font***

I guess you think Phillip rivers is a terrible qb too. AJ might very well overtake Dalton, but it's going to take time because Dalton is a very serviceable qb and AJ is a very unproven one. I am talking in terms of THIS year about a Brady-Bledsoe and Big Ben- Tommy Maddox event.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I agree - Dalton is far from terrible. Teams with terrible QBs don't make the playoffs, and Dalton has made the playoffs every year that he has started.

Could AJ be better than Dalton? Who knows. He needs to wait his turn and hope to get a shot some day. In the NFL you may only get one chance to prove your ability (some players don't even get that). He needs to be ready every day and maybe it will work out for him. Either way, he makes a lot more money than I do.

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
AJ looked good enough to at least have a solid career as a backup, and when that translates into $10-20 million over a 10 year career, that ain't bad.

and who knows, maybe he'll get a shot at starting one day.

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
Once he got over the shakes at the very beginning he seemed to settle in some. I could handle being a backup for the amount of money they make.

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
Once he got over the shakes at the very beginning he seemed to settle in some. I could handle being a backup for the amount of money they make.
yup...tons of money, super hot wife and retiring with your faculties completely intact.

not a bad deal.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
In my very unprofessional critique I'd say AJ showed pretty good presense all around considering it was his first live action in two years.

The two longer throws timing were off and in both cases there was enough pressure where he didn't get to step into the throw. There were times at Alabama he would throw off his back foot and get away with it but not with pro corners. He'll have to clean that up.

Otherwise his short to intermediate throws were classic AJ. He was accurate hitting receivers in stride and he had a good, tight spiral that was very catchable. He also showed good pocket presence and decent ability to scramble to buy himself a little more time.

He was above average and if not for those two longer throws he would have been almost spotless.

Last edited:

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Y'all are on something with this thinking that Dalton has anything to do with their winning games. He's been given the keys to a La Ferrari and always finds a way to wrap the sucker around a tree.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Y'all are on something with this thinking that Dalton has anything to do with their winning games. He's been given the keys to a La Ferrari and always finds a way to wrap the sucker around a tree.
No one said that he was Joe Montana - just that he wasn't terrible. There are at least 15 starting QBs in the NFL worse that Dalton right now. That makes him average at best - or worst.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
6 teams make it to the playoffs from each conference out of like 15. While the bengals don't have an elite qb in dalton, he must not be doing a ton of things wrong enough for the bengals getting into the playoffs. My point is the inevitable "AJ is better than dalton because he went to bama so he should start over a seasoned qb" mentality has started because of non nfl fans had a reason to finally watch an nfl game. You can see this also on any thread related to Trent and Cody. Dalton is the starter and AJ is fighting for 2nd with the guy that threw 175 yards in the first bengals preseason game.

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
6 teams make it to the playoffs from each conference out of like 15. While the bengals don't have an elite qb in dalton, he must not be doing a ton of things wrong enough for the bengals getting into the playoffs. My point is the inevitable "AJ is better than dalton because he went to bama so he should start over a seasoned qb" mentality has started because of non nfl fans had a reason to finally watch an nfl game. You can see this also on any thread related to Trent and Cody. Dalton is the starter and AJ is fighting for 2nd with the guy that threw 175 yards in the first bengals preseason game.
You're absolutely right. This whole "AJ should be the starter" movement started as soon as he was drafted. Dalton isn't a world beater, but he's been a good enough game manager to get his team to the playoffs every year. Anyone who has ANY takeaways from a preseason game must not be familiar with the NFL. Heck, my Viking are (so far) undefeated the last two preseasons and that's gotten us nowhere.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Where in this post did anyone say AJ should be the starter???

Why is AJ such a controversial figure to so many that even a "hey AJ looked good" has to be censured with "but he's not ready to start?"

FWIW, if AJ is "fighting" to be second string it wasn't too obvious last night since the other guy in the "fight" didn't take a snap.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I'm not even arguing for the benefit of McCarron. I don't think he's ready for a shot at starting in the NFL right now. I'm saying that the Bengals are never going to be better than a fringe playoff team with Dalton and it is mostly due to a pretty good defense and the significant offensive talent around him. He's got a career 1.5 TD/INT ratio. His playoff performances have been atrocious with a .16667 TD/INT ratio. This is just my feel but the games I've seen have been full of boneheaded throws for INTs where he didn't even see the defender.

He's just not a very good quarterback in my opinion. McCarron may be worse than him, he may not, but what I'm saying has absolutely nothing to do with the fact McCarron is his backup. He's indisputably bad.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I'm not even arguing for the benefit of McCarron. I don't think he's ready for a shot at starting in the NFL right now. I'm saying that the Bengals are never going to be better than a fringe playoff team with Dalton and it is mostly due to a pretty good defense and the significant offensive talent around him. He's got a career 1.5 TD/INT ratio. His playoff performances have been atrocious with a .16667 TD/INT ratio. This is just my feel but the games I've seen have been full of boneheaded throws for INTs where he didn't even see the defender.

He's just not a very good quarterback in my opinion. McCarron may be worse than him, he may not, but what I'm saying has absolutely nothing to do with the fact McCarron is his backup. He's indisputably bad.
I'll give you dalton is an average qb, but again you don't make the playoffs with crap qbs. Also to Dalton's defense he had played the texans on the road twice and Indy on the road in 3 of his playoff games. The only one he should've won was against the chargers at home. If he didn't have anything to do with the bengals reaching 4 straight playoffs then explain why in the bengals history they have had back to back playoff appearances 4 times and he has 3 of those.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Josh Johnson was released today, so AJ has nothing to worry about.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.