Link: AJ McCarron and Jameis Winston to square off tonight on ESPN

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
6 teams make it to the playoffs from each conference out of like 15. While the bengals don't have an elite qb in dalton, he must not be doing a ton of things wrong enough for the bengals getting into the playoffs. My point is the inevitable "AJ is better than dalton because he went to bama so he should start over a seasoned qb" mentality has started because of non nfl fans had a reason to finally watch an nfl game. You can see this also on any thread related to Trent and Cody. Dalton is the starter and AJ is fighting for 2nd with the guy that threw 175 yards in the first bengals preseason game.
We can always count on you to explain why Dalton is so much better than AJ. Every, single, thread. LOL

gamersfuel

All-American
Jan 20, 2008
Auburn/near a cow pasture
the Bengals have some talent. I think they are about as trendy as they can get with the head coaching they have. they will be a playoff team this year but nothing more with the current coaching staff.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
We can always count on you to explain why Dalton is so much better than AJ. Every, single, thread. LOL
Better, worse, or indifferent Idk which one AJ is,I'm more or less saying that most people don't watch the nfl and don't understand the norm and politics involved with what happens in decision making. I just don't agree with those people saying that dalton is a horrible qb and AJ is the savior.

Hoping for the best for him,but I'm not cheering for the bengals as a steelers fan.

Last edited:

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
Better, worse, or indifferent Idk which one AJ is,I'm more or less saying that most people don't watch the nfl and don't understand the norm and politics involved with what happens in decision making. I just don't agree with those people saying that dalton is a horrible qb and AJ is the savior.

Hoping for the best for him,but I'm not cheering for the bengals as a steelers fan.
I'll agree AJ probably isn't ready. Dalton played like he'd rather be doing something else last night though.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa

you are a Steelers fan? No wonder you want Dalton starting.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
There's a reason why Cincy fans were pretty happy with McCarron in the mid-rounds. Not many of their fans have a lot of faith in Dalton longterm.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
you are a Steelers fan? No wonder you want Dalton starting.
Yeah makes it easier right ***blue font***

I could really care less who starts for the bungles. Dalton has actually had Stephen Garcia moments on us when we were playing for the playoffs. So it matters not who is their qb in the long run as long as they don't get an elite one.

My point in this was that 1) this is the preseason 2) it's going to take AJ time to overtake a veteran qb and by time i mean probably another year or so. 3) I don't care who starts for cincy as long as they go 0-2 against the steelers.

So let me reiterate, I don't care about if Dalton starts another game, it's just my opinion that he is an average qb on a loaded team, and until a better option is found or a season ending injury happens he is the starter.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Yeah, I think the deal is that I just think Dalton is bad regardless of McCarron being his backup or not. I thought he was overrated before McCarron got there. Now I just think he's bad and not everybody realizes yet within the organization.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
I'll give you dalton is an average qb, but again you don't make the playoffs with crap qbs. Also to Dalton's defense he had played the texans on the road twice and Indy on the road in 3 of his playoff games. The only one he should've won was against the chargers at home. If he didn't have anything to do with the bengals reaching 4 straight playoffs then explain why in the bengals history they have had back to back playoff appearances 4 times and he has 3 of those.
Dalton had plenty to do with the Bengals reaching 4 straight playoff games. He also had just about everything to do with the Bengals being 0-4 in the playoffs in his tenure..

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
There's a reason why Cincy fans were pretty happy with McCarron in the mid-rounds. Not many of their fans have a lot of faith in Dalton longterm.
Yeah, the fans in Ohio hate Dalton, but they hated Dalton before he took his first snap. It has nothing to do with his play. He has made the Pro Bowl twice in 4 seasons.

His problem with the fans - he isn't Palmer. They hate him because the owner "betrayed" them by getting rid of Palmer (fans loved Palmer). The only way that the fans are every going to accept Dalton is if he leads them to a championship.

Roll Tide 57

1st Team
Oct 20, 2014
Plant City FL
I just don't get why a Real Alabama fan cant be happy for AJ.

I thought he looked good & I don't care if he starts or not.

Shane Matthews (Gators) did 14 years as a back up in the NFL. He did just fine for himself.

Just try to enjoy the success he is having now & try to remember he WAS Injured & coming off surgery on his shoulder not his big toe.

Jeezee.

CrankyFranky

Scout Team
Aug 5, 2004
Gadsden, AL
Dalton is a classy young man. I mean that. His story is one that should be told to every kid about not giving up on a dream. I personally think the Bengals are in good shape with either QB. As much as I want AJ to be given the keys to the castle, I'm still a big fan of Andy Dalton as well.

Last edited:

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

First, where is anyone in this thread not happy for AJ?

Second, what is a "Real Alabama fan?"

Dalton is a classy young man. I mean that. His story is one that should be told to every kid about not giving up on a dream. I personally think the Bengals are in good shape with either QB. As much as I want AJ to be given the keys to the castle, I'm still a big fan of Andy Dalton as well.
I think of myself of a sports junkie. My wife wishes I would watch something other than sporting events and sports talk. What story are you referencing? I don't think I've heard anyone mention it.

Last edited:

CrankyFranky

Scout Team
Aug 5, 2004
Gadsden, AL
He was the B team quarterback his freshman year and just kept plugging away. He didn't even become the starter until his senior year. Katy is a powerhouse program in TX so for him to stick with it shows a lot of resolve. His freshman year, he was basically the third string QB. The A team had two QBs ahead of him but that obviously didn't deter him.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama

I thought he looked good & I don't care if he starts or not.

Shane Matthews (Gators) did 14 years as a back up in the NFL. He did just fine for himself.

Just try to enjoy the success he is having now & try to remember he WAS Injured & coming off surgery on his shoulder not his big toe.

Jeezee.
you know this is why I have these love-hate feelings about Tide players in the NFL threads being on the football forum. I love them because no one hardly goes to the Pro Sports forum so this is one of the few times the small percent that watch the NFL can actively have a conversation about the NFL. I hate them at the same time because you get these emotional erratic responses that suggest anything that isn't 100% pro Bama must be a poser Bama fan. To my knowledge this conversation has been more about if Dalton is an average qb or a terrible qb. It was started by other posters and not me. Granted I did kinda bring the depth chart into the argument, but someone else brought up the fact that they believed there was legit chance that Dalton gets benched by performance, I just disagreed. I have actually said I hope AJ plays in this thread and others.

JEEZEE

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.