What's happened to David Cornwell this summer?

Roll Tide 57

1st Team
Oct 20, 2014
Plant City FL
How far did he fall? That's where I'm confused. People on this forum went over the top about him for a while, but what does that amount to? As far as I can recall, Saban never mentioned all the QBs, like ever. I'm pretty sure there have been times he's both included and excluded Bateman and Morris, and yes Cornwell. The only thing that I think we can ever really tell from that, to my recollection, is he tends to always name the top couple guys and another one or two. He's always left people out though.

The speculation is kind of ridiculous. All we really know is that at the moment he appears to have fallen out of contention, but the guy's a freshman. That's not a big surprise. Did he anger someone or just struggle? We don't know, but once again he's a freshman, either case is nothing particularly surprising. At this point in his college career Blake Sims was a running back...

Oh you are a wise one, sir. Exactly right. He's been crowned & dethroned in 4 weeks without a word from Coach.

I don't care who it is but I think they will pick the Best.

BTW, we are not the only top program have not chose a starter yet, Relax.

CrimSonami

All-American
Jul 17, 2011
Ardmore, AL; too close to 10erC
Not gonna speculate any longer. I expected DC to be the starter. I was obviously wrong. I was wrong last season as well. I have no idea why he's fallen off the radar. I'm not an insider and I'm not deserving of the information even though I'm a life long Bama Fan. Maybe it's a personal issue or maybe the head on his shoulders is not strong enough to support his football skill set. Maybe KraZy is spot on. I don't know. And after all the hype and energy we as fans have spent on the issue of our starting QB I'm still not overly concerned. We have a stable of talented QB's and the best coaches in the nation to sort it out and tweak to fit the tools available.

I believe we're on the verge of one of the best seasons yet under Saban and staff because our defense is going to carry us this year. AND I LIKE IT!!!!!

RTR!!!

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I'm not well informed on the issue, I just went by my experience and what not as it pertains to people with lack of experience. He has good upside, and I do not doubt that he was given a chance, but freshman make a lot of mistakes, that's just how it tends to be. AJ didn't seem ready to start as a freshman, GMac didn't seem ready, Blake certainly didn't seem ready. I think Blake Barnett might prove to be the exception to the rule next year, but it's just a lot to put on a guy that inexperienced. I guess it's worth reiterating for those that don't know, Cornwell had an injury that stunted his development (his senior year and this carried over into spring practice) and prior to that word got out that he had areas he needed to improve.

So, to me when people ask what's wrong, I just don't see it as really being anything wrong. He's a freshman, the closer people tend to scrutinize someone like that, the more pressure you put them under, the more flaws there are to unearth. I expect him to get better, I just think that (perhaps in part due to Coker apparently not taking a step forward) expectations got a little out of hand. Much in the same way that for a week or two people seemed to think a true freshman was likely to start...
I can tell you he was right at the top with Coker entering fall camp.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
How far did he fall? That's where I'm confused. People on this forum went over the top about him for a while, but what does that amount to? As far as I can recall, Saban never mentioned all the QBs, like ever. I'm pretty sure there have been times he's both included and excluded Bateman and Morris, and yes Cornwell. The only thing that I think we can ever really tell from that, to my recollection, is he tends to always name the top couple guys and another one or two. He's always left people out though.

The speculation is kind of ridiculous. All we really know is that at the moment he appears to have fallen out of contention, but the guy's a freshman. That's not a big surprise. Did he anger someone or just struggle? We don't know, but once again he's a freshman, either case is nothing particularly surprising. At this point in his college career Blake Sims was a running back...
In the spring, Saban was mentioning Cornwell in the press. Now he's not, and it's been at least once after the public as a whole noticed the absence. Nick Saban is the best there's ever been at using the media to deliver messages. It's possible, but not likely, that the first omission was inadvertent. It's unlikely on the order of my chances to win the Powerball that it was inadvertent twice in a row.

He got lots of playing time in ADay, and longtime credible posters here felt he was pushing for the starting job. Now, in the second scrimmage of fall camp, the most important action of the year outside of real games, he gets less PT than a true freshman who clearly isn't ready.

None of that is speculation. Something happened. The only speculation is exactly what that something was.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I can tell you he was right at the top with Coker entering fall camp.
You're a good source of information, I value your contributions, and I am sure you know more about this than I do. But, I never fully bought into the hype for one reason. He's young and inexperienced. Now, I absolutely believe that he was given a shot, that he for a while might have come close to pulling ahead, but there's a mile of difference between giving him the starting job and being in contention for the job. This isn't done yet though, it appears to be Morris and Coker at the top right now that but could change yet again, it's still fluid.

None of that is speculation. Something happened. The only speculation is exactly what that something was.
Maybe he didn't lift anything other than 12-ounce curls over the summer. Maybe he mouthed off. Maybe he didn't go to class. Maybe he told somebody to do something he shouldn't have mentioned. Maybe he hit on Miss Terry. I have no idea.

I just know that to fall that far that fast, it had to be something other than on-field performance.
All of that is speculation, and I have yet to see anything, one iota of proof that it was something other than on-field performance. That doesn't mean it's not the case, but you went way out on a limb there with nothing other than a mere omission of a name. Like I said, if you've been following the QB situation for the past couple of years you'd notice that he omits practically every single guy one time or another. Does it likely point to Cornwell not being one of the top two guys? Yes, absolutely. Does it say anything else? No, not necessarily.

Some people are going to go nuts anyway, regardless of what I say. But we've gone from a point in time most people would have thought it was Coker, to people thinking it was Cornwell, to what I shall think of as Barnett week, and now last I saw Morris was leading in a poll. If people think they have this figured out, they have very short memories. But... I'll try to explain the situation as I see it in another context.

Let's say you have five astronauts competing for one spot right? The presumed favorite is a guy who has had a great career as a pilot, he looks good on paper, but it's not his first time trying to be an astronaut and so far he hasn't made it. Then you have this other guy who looked good to, in fact he kind of looks better. He made great grades in college, he's excelled as a pilot, but he's young and inexperienced. So, those two emerge as front-runners. Well, sooner or later the young guy, he's no longer a front-runner. What did he do wrong, did he do something wrong? Not necessarily. We know that astronauts tend to be people in their 30s. They favor some degree of experience. Did the younger guy just plain screw up? Did he go out late drinking one night? Or did his inexperience and his inconsistencies just gradually prove he wasn't ready yet?

How would we know based on that information? What we do know is that quarterbacks don't tend to start as freshman and astronauts tend to be in their 30s. Barnett and Cornwell were always long-shots, it appears they were in fact given a shot but all those little things they had to figure out, wrap their minds around, adjust to, on and off the field are way more than a junior or senior has to learn.

Last edited:

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Cornwell is done. HE messed up a great opportunity. Maybe he can redeem himself next year. Maybe he won't. I feel like this topic is going in circle... Pointless for now.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
Somebody put up a link a few days ago with a story about Saban giving advice to the team on dating...The advice was very practical and funny as well. Stuff like, if you haven"t talked her into coming home with you by twelve o'clock, forget it.

crimson_flame

Scout Team
Aug 16, 2000
Tuscaloosa, AL
Cornwell is done. HE messed up a great opportunity. Maybe he can redeem himself next year. Maybe he won't. I feel like this topic is going in circle... Pointless for now.
I concur, this had absolutely nothing to do with on-field performance. There WAS an incident, and we can leave it at that. Cornwell is under the dog-house.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Somebody put up a link a few days ago with a story about Saban giving advice to the team on dating...The advice was very practical and funny as well. Stuff like, if you haven"t talked her into coming home with you by twelve o'clock, forget it.
i saw that. i think it was a quote from that bio that came out recently

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I concur, this had absolutely nothing to do with on-field performance. There WAS an incident, and we can leave it at that. Cornwell is under the dog-house.
Well this is the closest I've seen anyone come to confirmation, I don't know who you are but I'll take your word for it. Judging from your wording you are stating this on a factual basis and not a speculative one, and I assume you have no reason to lie and have your reliable sources.

Having said that, those who are young and inexperience have an innate tendency to make mistakes. If no suspension is announced I'll have to assume what ever happened was a relatively minor setback in his long-term development.

Last edited:

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
I have heard of an incident and it is not good. It will take a while to get out of the dog house but hopefully a life lesson is learned and he will show more maturity.

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
I hope he gets his head on straight. I don't like to see anyone derail their potential because of immaturity.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I have heard of an incident and it is not good. It will take a while to get out of the dog house but hopefully a life lesson is learned and he will show more maturity.
I believe that we're all talking about the same incident. Sometimes it's hard to say the right thing when you're speaking around a silver spoon in your mouth...

Rush

All-American
Jul 5, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Heard Wes Neighbors say today that Cornwell talked back to Saban when Saban was trying to explain what he wanted from his QB this year. Not fatal but not smart, either. Don't need a dumb QB.
Good.

Lord...

Your take on it is much more charitable than mine, brother...

spray004

Scout Team
Apr 20, 2007
Heard Wes Neighbors say today that Cornwell talked back to Saban when Saban was trying to explain what he wanted from his QB this year. Not fatal but not smart, either. Don't need a dumb QB.
That's similar to what I had had heard. I heard he mouthed off to Kiffin and/or Saban. So basically his mouth caused him to go from 1st/2nd string to 5th string.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.