What's happened to David Cornwell this summer?

ATLBAMAFAN

3rd Team
Feb 2, 2005
I've seen bits and pieces in a few other threads, but thought this was worthy of it's own discussion. Can anyone elaborate as to the apparent major drop off? Just a few weeks ago it was looking like it may be his job to lose and now he doesn't even get a mention in Saban's presser.

rolltideface

All-SEC
Jun 30, 2001
hoover, alabama
I was wondering the same thing. He must have done something pretty severe. Even the pic on al.com showing the qbs - he looks perturbed. I don't get it but whatever, Saban and Kiffin know what they are doing

bodiddle

All-SEC
May 14, 2006
Whatever the problem, if he has shot himself in the foot, he may not have much a future at Bama. If so, the time to go would be now because he will lose another year of eligibility if he stays. Whereas if he goes, he would lose that year of eligibility while he is doing the one year of sitting out required by ncaa.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Mostly it was just overhype. Sure, he hasn't developed as much as some would have hoped, but it was never realistic to expect him to push Coker for the starting job.

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
Whatever the problem, if he has shot himself in the foot, he may not have much a future at Bama.
Then again, his jersey number (12) has a history of such illustrious behavior at 'Bama, and a couple of the other wearers have turned in pretty good rebounds from the "dawg" house over the course of their college careers.

TideWatcher

All-SEC
Dec 11, 2006
newton county, ms
I think you are right; he had a couple of moments in the spring, but never looked steady. Who knows, it may click for him at some point.
Mostly it was just overhype. Sure, he hasn't developed as much as some would have hoped, but it was never realistic to expect him to push Coker for the starting job.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I doubt this thread will do Cornwell much good. I'm sure there are very few who may know and if they do they probably shouldn't be saying.

All else will be rampant speculation.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I believe DC was very much in the QB competition entering camp. He was right there with Coker from what I understand.

roltidroll01

Aug 3, 2015
Any chance at all that he has the "injury" that the school requested the media not to report on last week? The timing works out for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

roltidroll01

Aug 3, 2015
Or perhaps a better wording would be: could DC be the cause for the requested media silence last week

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
I'm not giving up on Cornwell. He was and is very much part of the competition as far as we all know. Until something concrete comes out from Coach, I see no reason to believe otherwise. As far as his mind being on the ladies at UA, I can see how it could affect a young man.

gtowntide

All-American
Mar 1, 2011
Memphis,TN.
I'm not giving up on Cornwell. He was and is very much part of the competition as far as we all know. Until something concrete comes out from Coach, I see no reason to believe otherwise. As far as his mind being on the ladies at UA, I can see how it could affect a young man.
As Robin Williams [RIP] once put it, "the good Lord gave each man two heads but not enough blood supply to use them both at the same time".RTR!

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I believe DC was very much in the QB competition entering camp. He was right there with Coker from what I understand.
I'm not well informed on the issue, I just went by my experience and what not as it pertains to people with lack of experience. He has good upside, and I do not doubt that he was given a chance, but freshman make a lot of mistakes, that's just how it tends to be. AJ didn't seem ready to start as a freshman, GMac didn't seem ready, Blake certainly didn't seem ready. I think Blake Barnett might prove to be the exception to the rule next year, but it's just a lot to put on a guy that inexperienced. I guess it's worth reiterating for those that don't know, Cornwell had an injury that stunted his development (his senior year and this carried over into spring practice) and prior to that word got out that he had areas he needed to improve.

So, to me when people ask what's wrong, I just don't see it as really being anything wrong. He's a freshman, the closer people tend to scrutinize someone like that, the more pressure you put them under, the more flaws there are to unearth. I expect him to get better, I just think that (perhaps in part due to Coker apparently not taking a step forward) expectations got a little out of hand. Much in the same way that for a week or two people seemed to think a true freshman was likely to start...

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
I don't know what happened, but something did.

Even a freshman doesn't go from in the discussion for starter to not even mentioned among 5 candidates over the course of 2.5 weeks, without there being an unusual reason.

Maybe he didn't lift anything other than 12-ounce curls over the summer. Maybe he mouthed off. Maybe he didn't go to class. Maybe he told somebody to do something he shouldn't have mentioned. Maybe he hit on Miss Terry. I have no idea.

I just know that to fall that far that fast, it had to be something other than on-field performance.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I just know that to fall that far that fast, it had to be something other than on-field performance.
How far did he fall? That's where I'm confused. People on this forum went over the top about him for a while, but what does that amount to? As far as I can recall, Saban never mentioned all the QBs, like ever. I'm pretty sure there have been times he's both included and excluded Bateman and Morris, and yes Cornwell. The only thing that I think we can ever really tell from that, to my recollection, is he tends to always name the top couple guys and another one or two. He's always left people out though.

The speculation is kind of ridiculous. All we really know is that at the moment he appears to have fallen out of contention, but the guy's a freshman. That's not a big surprise. Did he anger someone or just struggle? We don't know, but once again he's a freshman, either case is nothing particularly surprising. At this point in his college career Blake Sims was a running back...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.