What's happened to David Cornwell this summer?

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
Saban is not going to throw a kid under the bus especially when the issue is sensitive. He would lose the team if he did.
You are exactly right, in my opinion.

Someone asked what happened to cause him to go from the #2 guy to not even being mentioned. Some have tried to answer that with what they know, have read, or have heard. If you don't want to read any of that, don't check the thread and just be sure to read every Nick Saban quote to find out exactly what happened because all the suspensions for "a violation of team rules" really tell us everything we need to know about a player's behavior.
What bothers me is having "insiders" speculating on things that are frankly none of their business, for example, why is Cornwell slipping? Saban's statement gives me all the info a fan should need to know, in my opinion.

I understand your point...if I don't like the discussion, don't read the thread.

My point is insider gossip is more often than not bad for a program in general.

Are the fans in a better place after we have aired the gossip about Cornwell chasing women? I don't think so.

Last edited:

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame

What bothers me is having "insiders" speculating on things that are frankly none of their business, for example, why is Cornwell slipping? Saban's statement gives me all the info a fan should need to know, in my opinion.

Are the fans in a better place after we have aired the gossip about Cornwell chasing women? I don't think so.
Easy now, you are going to hurt some feelings with talk like that.

Just so we're clear, is Cornwell in the dog house because of a girl, because he back talked CNS, because he complained about Barnett's reps, or does he just simply refuse to call Alec Morris "Alex"?

I never caught which one was the truth and which ones were rumor.

IMALOYAL1

All-American
Oct 28, 2000
Birmingham AL
easy now, you are going to hurt some feelings with talk like that.

Just so we're clear, is cornwell in the dog house because of a girl, because he back talked cns, because he complained about barnett's reps, or does he just simply refuse to call alec morris "alex"?

like button pushed:rolleye2:

I will add when did chasing girls become such a bad thing for a single college age young man? Few teams would have enough players to field a team.

Last edited:

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
Easy now, you are going to hurt some feelings with talk like that.

Just so we're clear, is Cornwell in the dog house because of a girl, because he back talked CNS, because he complained about Barnett's reps, or does he just simply refuse to call Alec Morris "Alex"?

Not trying to hurt feelings, sorry if I have done so.

I understand curiosity is just human nature...it's a fine line between wanting to know everything and trying to be a good fan. Everybody has a different approach.

CrimsonTheory

All-American
Mar 26, 2012
CrimsonBleedRed
All I know is that he didn't transfer and he wasn't kicked off the team. Which means, at least to me, he can bounced back. The question is, will he? Until he is no longer is at UA, DC will have a chance to dig himself out of whatever hole he dugged himself in. Well see what kind of man Cornwell wants to be.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama

I understand your point...if I don't like the discussion, don't read the thread.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
If the question was asked....and then answered....why is the messenger being vilified?
That's a good point. There are several members here who get mad, jealous, or whatever you want to call it when somebody else has information they don't. They are quick to call those people out about how they got the information and who their sources are. Obviously most people who have inside information or sources are not going to out those people so in turn the ones out of the know get more frustrated..

*I am in no way, shape or form an insider and have never claimed to be.*

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL
Same... I just frequently share the company of those who are responsible for these 3 national championships and counting...THEY are the insiders. I'm merely a listening ear to their vents. An unpaid shrink.

*waves @ SavannahDare*

That's a good point. There are several members here who get mad, jealous, or whatever you want to call it when somebody else has information they don't. They are quick to call those people out about how they got the information and who their sources are. Obviously most people who have inside information or sources are not going to out those people so in turn the ones out of the know get more frustrated..

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001

I have a little different take on this.

Players and coaches will make friends with people who are not on the football team, and these people will occasionally learn or find out something the team would rather not become general knowledge. That's just the way life goes.

So when I see someone sharing this privileged information on a public forum, I'm not angry somebody knows something I don't, as you suggest...I'm more disappointed someone would betray a player or coach's confidence.

In this particular example, I'm not trying to focus on one piece of info, but instead trying to explain my point of view. I have no idea if Cornwell slipped this fall due to several of the rumors posted here or if he was just slow to catch on compared to the competition. And in my opinion, I don't need to know, although I will admit to being curious about it. :)

And to be more specific, I'm not trying to criticize WMack because he does a good job deciding what info he's comfortable sharing.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
I have a little different take on this.

Players and coaches will make friends with people who are not on the football team, and these people will occasionally learn or find out something the team would rather not become general knowledge. That's just the way life goes.

So when I see someone sharing this privileged information on a public forum, I'm not angry somebody knows something I don't, as you suggest...I'm more disappointed someone would betray a player or coach's confidence.

In this particular example, I'm not trying to focus on one piece of info, but instead trying to explain my point of view. I have no idea if Cornwell slipped this fall due to several of the rumors posted here or if he was just slow to catch on compared to the competition. And in my opinion, I don't need to know, although I will admit to being curious about it. :)

And to be more specific, I'm not trying to criticize WMack because he does a good job deciding what info he's comfortable sharing.
My only rebuttal to this is that you are going to be disappointed a lot. In today's age of social media and instant information that's just how it is. Once information is known it is almost immediately made public. This instant free flow of information isn't specifically related to this website, it happens everywhere, i.e. social media, Twitter, Facebook, articles by media members, discussion boards etc.
It doesn't make it right or wrong it's just how it is. Frankly, I like being more informed and having access to as much information as possible..

*I am in now way, shape or form an insider and have never claimed to be.*

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
My only rebuttal to this is that you are going to be disappointed a lot.

It doesn't make it right or wrong it's just how it is. Frankly, I like being more informed and having access to as much information as possible..

*I am in now way, shape or form an insider and have never claimed to be.*
We've reached a point of agreement. :smile: I can't argue with the points you've made.

But I will say sometimes I think there can be too much info commonly known...I still remember the shock I felt when I found out the details of how DuBose acted while still coaching at Bama, just for example.

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
We've reached a point of agreement. :smile: I can't argue with the points you've made.

But I will say sometimes I think there can be too much info commonly known...I still remember the shock I felt when I found out the details of how DuBose acted while still coaching at Bama, just for example.
CV,

One can make a legitimate argument that the Dubose Era would have ended much sooner had more information been "commonly known." We might well have avoided the embarrassment of being coached by an incompetent who Costanzaed his secretary, couldn't control his coaching staff and who marched us numbly into probation.

Now, that's a far cry for what's inside the head of a 19-year-old quarterback. But as a rule, here's to the flow of information through more hands -- not fewer.

Last edited:

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
Very true. Having been on here for so long, I know who to listen to (Earl, Mack, runtheoption, Jess, etc) and who to ignore.
I agree 100%. W/o good reliable information we only have rumor. What we have is kind of like asking a Mole to describe a Sunflower... If you guessed the answer is you can't make a determination w/o trusted information. Talk is cheap unless you know the reliability of the speaker. I trust our mods and some of the guys who have been here a long time.

Last edited:

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Maybe the question should be "Why were we so high on Cornwell without him ever taking a snap?"

Ill admit that last year I was leaning toward Coker before the 1st scrimmage, but even after that I could see him as a serviceable number 2 guy. So I didn't fall for the unknown talent over the presumed weaker heir apparent again this year. When I heard that in the second week that Cornwell was taking "SOME" first string snaps, I took it as CNS just working him as an option 2 or 2nd man up. But that is when all the "If it is close then I say let the young bucks take it" rants came, and everyone was jumping on the bandwagon all over again for another unknown guy. Ill also admit Cornwell is talented, but until scrimmages start there is nothing to really go on.

So A day happens, and I gave my opinion that Coker and Morris did the best, but then all the talk " Well Cornwell played with the 2nd string offense and not the first string.", but the problem is in the biggest scrimmage in the spring Cornwell was the 2nd man up for the second string and Barnett got a good deal of first string reps.

Then summer happens, and all these reporters are making all these Cornwell and Why Jake Coker wont start for Bama articles. It was posted just like Jake Coker articles were last year. Then fall practices started and all these "reliable" reporters are using twitter saying "Its Cornwell", but when the REC and others start to see scrimmages reality sets in and says either Coker or Morris.

My point is, we hype up the unknown talent to overtake a presumed weaker upperclassman, but we actually know far less about the unknown talent. Cornwell is highly talented but I think there is a good amount of his readiness to take the job appeal towards fans that was untrue. I think he will be in the mix of things next year if he stays.

as for the girl thing... I don't know so its a rumor in my book unless THE MAN unleashes those details

Last edited:

BadgerTidefan

1st Team
Dec 2, 2006
Jennings, FL

n

I'm better off. I love reading it all, whether from insiders, rumor or pure speculation. I get, at the very least, entertainment value from it and at best real info during a news starved time of the year. I don't post a lot, but I visit Tidefans several times a day checking for new threads and posts and frankly, I really appreciate having place to come and read about Alabama football no matter if the posts are based on real info or speculation, its all interesting to read. I bet that if reviewed almost every single thread with any controversy (and thats a lot of them) has at least one and many times more posters that say we shouldn't be discussing the issue or asking for the thread to be shutdown. If anyone could shutdown a thread this would be a boring site. I trust the mods only on what should or should not be discussed. They do a fine job refereeing. Don't mean to criticize anyone, just want to say I appreciate all the opinions and info.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.