Which coach have you hated losing to the most?

bamablood6

1st Team
Mar 27, 2006
Fulmer

sidenote: have they removed the knife from Johnny Majors back yet?
I personally haven't lost to any of them, but coaches that Bama has lost to are.......

Freeze and Malzapahn, because I think both of those coaches are average at best (long term will prove I am right)and don't deserve to have beaten Alabama.

Fulmer was and still is a fat azz slob, and it makes me sick Bama lost to him.

Any Allbarn coach during those dark days of probation and such, because they truly only had that advantage because of probation and a follow up of bad coaching hires. Otherwise Slubberville would never even been close to his thumb.

mikes12

All-American
Nov 10, 2005
Chattanooga, TN
Since the question is presented as a hypothetical, "who would you hate to lose to?", I'll say Dooley. His teams were awful, and that would've been a painful loss.

I hate Fat Phil and he way he played the NCAA into crippling us through sanctions while skating freely still makes me rage.

Dishonorable mention for Chizik's "God thing".

RedWave

All-SEC
Sep 26, 2000
Arlington, Tx
Completely agree with the sentiments on Fulmer. But another I really hated to lose to, and thankfully we didn't lose to him that often, was Houston Nutt. Now, please don't correct me if I am wrong (I am old and stubborn and prefer to just remember things my way, even if I have it wrong), but it seems to me that the whole SEC turned on a dime when Arkansas entered the SEC. They brought in all the backstabbing and bickering that destroyed the SWC with them, and suddenly the gentlemanly rivalries that had forever existed in the SEC suddenly turned the conference into a group of finger-pointing whiners for a while. This was around the same time Fulmer took over for Majors at Tennessee, and he just joined in the fray (and perfected the art). But I always saw Nutt (and moreso his AD and their boosters) as leading the charge.

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
Phil Fulmer.

And nobody else is even close. Folks today don't know how gentlemantly the Alabama-Tennessee rivalry used to be, back when Johnny Majors was there and going way back even before him all the way to General Neyland.

Fulmer single-handedly destroyed all that.

There was a time not so long ago - less than 20 years - when even though nobody likes to "lose" to Tennessee (or anyone), it didn't really bother you. You respected them. A lot of Tide fans pulled for the Vols in every other game.

That's gone, and it saddens those of us who remember it passionately.

We could beat Tennessee 150-0 with Fulmer as the head coach, and I still wouldn't have my bloodlust satisfied.
No doubt, Fulmer. And in 2nd place, Fulmer. He also takes 3rd.

But growing up in Tennessee, I don't ever remember this being a "gentlemanly" game. UT fans have always HATED Alabama. Fulmer has changed the tone of the game from an Alabama fan's POV. I'm not so sure about the Vols perspective.

Roll Tide 57

1st Team
Oct 20, 2014
Plant City FL
Phil Fulmer.

And nobody else is even close. Folks today don't know how gentlemantly the Alabama-Tennessee rivalry used to be, back when Johnny Majors was there and going way back even before him all the way to General Neyland.

Fulmer single-handedly destroyed all that.

There was a time not so long ago - less than 20 years - when even though nobody likes to "lose" to Tennessee (or anyone), it didn't really bother you. You respected them. A lot of Tide fans pulled for the Vols in every other game.

That's gone, and it saddens those of us who remember it passionately.

We could beat Tennessee 150-0 with Fulmer as the head coach, and I still wouldn't have my bloodlust satisfied.
NO WAY I could have said it better, thank you.

Some younger fans are just to lazy to look up what you said, but it's the Pure Truth.

Roll Tide 57

1st Team
Oct 20, 2014
Plant City FL
Completely agree with the sentiments on Fulmer. But another I really hated to lose to, and thankfully we didn't lose to him that often, was Houston Nutt. Now, please don't correct me if I am wrong (I am old and stubborn and prefer to just remember things my way, even if I have it wrong), but it seems to me that the whole SEC turned on a dime when Arkansas entered the SEC. They brought in all the backstabbing and bickering that destroyed the SWC with them, and suddenly the gentlemanly rivalries that had forever existed in the SEC suddenly turned the conference into a group of finger-pointing whiners for a while. This was around the same time Fulmer took over for Majors at Tennessee, and he just joined in the fray (and perfected the art). But I always saw Nutt (and moreso his AD and their boosters) as leading the charge.

To me Arky had nothing to do with it & they were by far the lesser cheater in the old SWC. Heck Lou Holtz had great respect for Alabama.

To me it was when Coach Bryant died, no one would have tried all the crap they did on him. Perkins tried to wipe him from the memory of the fans, Curry was over his head but being undermind by old players to a degree. Stallings has a spineless Hootie Ingram to put up with.
dubose was just bad for the university in every way. Shula's was a great recruiter, judge of talent but like Curry way over his head.

bama579

Hall of Fame
Jan 15, 2005
The Chukker or Archibalds
To me Arky had nothing to do with it & they were by far the lesser cheater in the old SWC. Heck Lou Holtz had great respect for Alabama.

To me it was when Coach Bryant died, no one would have tried all the crap they did on him. Perkins tried to wipe him from the memory of the fans, Curry was over his head but being undermind by old players to a degree. Stallings has a spineless Hootie Ingram to put up with.
dubose was just bad for the university in every way. Shula was a great recruiter, judge of talent but like Curry way over his head.
There is a lot of what you said where we agree. Several things I would like to hear your reasoning or support for it.
* How was Hootie Ingram spineless? Do you mean Bockrath?
* Shula a great recruiter and judge of talent? Yes, he dealt with sanctions for most of his tenure. Still can't figure how anyone gets to "great recruiter."

Last edited:

bamablood6

1st Team
Mar 27, 2006

dubose was just bad for the university in every way. Shula's was a great recruiter, judge of talent but like Curry way over his head.

Perkins was not trying to make people forget Coach Bryant, He was trying to do things his own way-and that was his prerogative as the Head Coach-with Coach Bryant's blessings at that, and probably the only one with big enough attitude to do things his own way, following such a legend. He loved Coach Bryant as much as anyone.

Curry could not close on the top recruits or sign a QB to save his life. Curry was too worried about and too focused on "the Clutter" as Coach Saban puts it, to be a successful Head Coach.

I can say a lot of things about Hootie Ingram, but spineless is not one of them. Hootie had too much spine (attitude) if anything, and that cost Bama in the end. Now if you meant Bockrath, that guy was weak as wet paper, and that cost Bama Coach Stallings, and really what led to the years of program horror. If Bockrath had been run off instead of Coach Stallings, things would have been different those cluttered years.

Dubose was just a crappy leader, but he was good for the university early on as a player and assistant coach--so I don't completely dislike the guy. But way over his head as a leader, and hurt the University as Head Coach.

Shula as a great recruiter? Now that is a new one--as he was not a great recruiter. I can say he had a decent eye for some offensive talent, chasing Tebow, having to "settle" for McElroy...but didn't he also sign Jimmy Barnes? Shula is still Bama family and a good guy, he just wasn't ready for being the Bama HC, or anyone's HC for that matter.

Franchione was actually right where he should be in your post....Nowhere. LOL.... Sorry I brought him up!

But all of that is the past that got us to where we are today....RTR

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.