Neutral Site vs Home and Home

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I haven't seen any media comments on the issue. But some people think if you prefer home/homes over neutral site you are being a bad fan and a jerk for disagreeing with Nick Saban on the issue.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Didn't realize there was a media bandwagon for this issue. What does the media have to do with it?
Some media members complain about Alabama's use of neutral site games. Some national media members use it as a way to claim Alabama doesn't want to beef up its schedule by going on the road against a P5 opponent.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Some media members complain about Alabama's use of neutral site games. Some national media members use it as a way to claim Alabama doesn't want to beef up its schedule by going on the road against a P5 opponent.
I don't think we are ducking anyone by the neutral site games, I just prefer the home/home. God forbid someone take a different opinion on a subject.

Nolan

Hall of Fame
Jul 4, 2006
Oahu
I love that we schedule big time programs, regardless of the neutral site. It'd be great to see a few home and home's sprinkled in, though. But considering that we are opening against Southern Cal next year - wow, how can I complain?

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Remind me again how much you pay in "Tide Pride" dues for the right to purchase football tickets for a home game? Colleges stopped caring about their fans a long time ago.

I still love the sport, but it doesn't love me back. :cool2:

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Thank you for the clarification, I didn't think that was necessary but apparently it was.

I thought my brevity (for a change) would be appreciated but apparently it ruffled feathers. My comments had everything to do with the media's attempts to influence perception (unfortunately for many perception is reality).

Now, perhaps my snarky post was a bit much, but my issues with the media existed well before Nick Saban came to Alabama. Their job is to be objective, but all too often they see their job as to influence our opinions for our own good (or their own good). Last year, there were posts here, and articles claiming Alabama had a weak SoS. I argued against that adamantly, it was propaganda, but still some people here got suckered into the notion that Alabama did in fact have an easy schedule (it ended up being the second most difficult in the country). That's the type of thing the media can do though, they can influence perception, sometimes indirectly and I don't like it one bit.

Another issue in which the media influenced things was the "oversigning" issue. They managed to get the SEC to go out on a limb, to handcuff themselves with rules that only exist for the SEC, and now that the SEC has a competitive disadvantage built in, it's a non-issue. Yet, the ACC still "oversigns", the Big 12 still "oversigns". It's just not worth covering since the SEC can't do it anymore, and the goal was accomplished.

So, when I see the several media personalities start saying how Alabama should be doing home and home instead, and are somehow evading tough games in doing so, and then I see posts complaining about neutral site games? Yeah, it gets under my skin, in the same way I guess I get under the skin of some other posters. Personally? My personal opinion? I don't care that much, I just want what ever gives Alabama a competitive advantage, and I just don't want Alabama or the SEC taking guidance from the media on the issue. It's almost always a trap...

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
Remind me again how much you pay in "Tide Pride" dues for the right to purchase football tickets for a home game? Colleges stopped caring about their fans a long time ago.

Agreed. :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011

And for that donation, the biggest non-conference game of the season is never going to be at home.

I don't think anyone on here prefers home/home just because the media complained about the neutral site games.

RT3413

All-American
Sep 14, 2004
Atlanta, GA
As long as we're filling our schedule with quality opponents I don't really care if their Neutral or Home and Home. I've been to Penn State and Dallas (I won't count here in ATL) to see us and can argue the benefits of either.

However... until the SEC puts a final nail in the 9-game schedule having the neutral games enables us to cancel much easier than we can cancel a home-and-home if we have to play an additional conference game.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I'm beginning to understand how some people got the interpretation of Terry Saban's comments that they did. I thought it was partly because they just read the media's interpretations and ran with that. It could just be a broader issue with interpreting what people said. Nothing I said in this thread, or inferred had any bearing on Nick Saban's opinion on the matter, and everything to do with the media, as I explained, at length.

To the issue at hand, you can like or dislike it, but if you dislike the neutral site games you are, intentionally or not parroting some members of the media. That doesn't make you unqualified to have an opinion on the matter, that doesn't make your feelings disingenuous, it just means I'm likely to disagree with it. And of course, we all, not just the coach, are entitled to our opinions right?

Last edited:

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
I'm beginning to understand how some people got the interpretation of Terry Saban's comments that they did. I though it was partly because they just read the media's interpretations and ran with that. It could just be poor reading comprehension though. Nothing I said in this thread, or inferred had any bearing on Nick Saban's opinion on the matter, and everything to do with the media, as I explained, at length.

To the issue at hand, you can like or dislike it, but if you dislike the neutral site games you are, intentionally or not parroting the media's opinion. That doesn't make you unqualified to have an opinion on the matter, it just means I'm likely to disagree with it.
Well, only if you agree because of the same reasons the media does. I am neutral on neutral site games. As a student and fan in Bama I liked home and home games because I was actually able to attend them. Neutral site game tickets are distributed the same as away games. Only 5th yr seniors with over 100hrs or so ever qualified for them. That essentially cheated all the students out of 1 home game every year. So I understand season ticket holders who miss out on a game they pay dearly for every year.

Now that I work a few states away I like the neutral site game in Atlanta because I can usually purchase a ticket and travel to the game without traveling 10+hrs. Unfortunately this year and it seems for the foreseeable future the games are moving even farther away from me. :(

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
So I understand season ticket holders who miss out on a game they pay dearly for every year.
I can understand that part of the argument. To try and nip future sparring in the bud, I get that what I said originally was a bit too snarky. I usually if anything overly engage on a subject and I resorted to something that made it easy to exchange one lined barbs back and forth without having an intelligent conversation. To reiterate, my issue was with it was with the media's perception on the issue. The "Ohio State schedule" part wasn't helping either though, that's another source of annoyance for me, heh.

It's the internet, it's easy for people to misunderstand each other and come off like jerks whether or not they intend to. I, for my part, have a tendency to be a curmudgeon. I generally try to take the edge off a bit (you'll note as you were quoting my post I was trying to work it into something a bit more courteous), but I come from a generation that enjoyed making fun of each other and, talking smack to put it nicely. I suppose I come off as more hostile than I intend sometimes, and I do appreciate those that make the effort to have a civil conversation.

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
I can understand that part of the argument. To try and nip future sparring in the bud, I get that what I said originally was a bit too snarky. I usually if anything overly engage on a subject and I resorted to something that made it easy to exchange one lined barbs back and forth without having an intelligent conversation. To reiterate, my issue was with it was with the media's perception on the issue. The "Ohio State schedule" part wasn't helping either though, that's another source of annoyance for me, heh.

It's the internet, it's easy for people to misunderstand each other and come off like jerks whether or not they intend to. I, for my part, have a tendency to be a curmudgeon. I generally try to take the edge off a bit (you'll note as you were quoting my post I was trying to work it into something a bit more courteous), but I come from a generation that enjoyed making fun of each other and, talking smack to put it nicely. I suppose I come off as more hostile than I intend sometimes, and I do appreciate those that make the effort to have a civil conversation.
Hey man, back off! Jk jk

Your post that I quoted was the first of yours that I read. No snark taken, was just commenting on the subject.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
I'm beginning to understand how some people got the interpretation of Terry Saban's comments that they did. I thought it was partly because they just read the media's interpretations and ran with that. It could just be a broader issue with interpreting what people said. Nothing I said in this thread, or inferred had any bearing on Nick Saban's opinion on the matter, and everything to do with the media, as I explained, at length.

To the issue at hand, you can like or dislike it, but if you dislike the neutral site games you are, intentionally or not parroting some members of the media. That doesn't make you unqualified to have an opinion on the matter, that doesn't make your feelings disingenuous, it just means I'm likely to disagree with it. And of course, we all, not just the coach, are entitled to our opinions right?
That is funny because I have always heard most media members pumping up these games like they are the greatest things since sliced bread. Anyway, I don't give a rip about what the media likes or dislikes (or anyone else for that matter- :biggrin:). I just still like to hold on to the idea of what college football should be in my opinion. Of course, I also like to hold on to the idea of what our society should be in my opinion, too. All I can do is try to provide good examples in my community on that last part, but I have very little control over what the power players do with college football. I just keep hoping they don't screw it up any more than they already have. The last two years, frankly, don't seem like football to me, and I may just lump in the neutral site games with the rest of the ills because I used to like them when there were only a couple and we didn't play in them every single year. Good points have been made, and good discussion has been had on this topic, so I must be moving on. Roll Tide!

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.