The Ice Bucket Challenge Led to a Major Breakthrough in ALS Research

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
It's necessary to remember how preliminary this is, promising as it may be. They are injecting individual neurons in the mice brains. The average human brain has 100 billion, so some other delivery vehicle needs to be found...

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
It's necessary to remember how preliminary this is, promising as it may be. They are injecting individual neurons in the mice brains. The average human brain has 100 billion, so some other delivery vehicle needs to be found...
every journey begins with the first step :)

Catfish

Hall of Fame
Oct 11, 2005
Birmingham
This is great news. Hopefully, more advancements in treatment will follow quickly. It's a horrific disease. Has anybody heard any updates on Kevin Turner lately?

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
That's cool!. ALS is a horrible disease. Shows what scientist can do when they are free to be creative instead of being tied to profits of large drug makers.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
That's cool!. ALS is a horrible disease. Shows what scientist can do when they are free to be creative instead of being tied to profits of large drug makers.
*LIKE* It's called "independent" research. I read a lot of medical articles, on Medscape, etc. The authors are required to disclose potential conflicts at the bottom. Some of them make you shake your head...

tidefanbeezer

All-American
Sep 25, 2006
Atlanta, GA
Yes, and I intend to do the challenge this year. I considered it a gimmick last year. We lost my BIL's father to it and a dear friend last year...
I considered it gimmicky and didn't like it for a host of reasons. But the outcome certainly is positive and in the end that's all that matters.

It will be interesting to watch how this research progresses and how the fundraising efforts at other charities/associations/research facilities are impacted by the success of the Ice Bucket challenge.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.