Evan Mathis- Game`s Best Guard

Catfish

Hall of Fame
Oct 11, 2005
Birmingham
I'm not really up on NFL, but could it be that he only wanted a 1-year deal?
If, like others have speculated, he wanted to play for a contender, he might not have wanted to commit to Denver long-term. How much longer is Manning going to play? Once he leaves, the Broncos face a tough transition at QB.

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
I'm not buying it. Is he solid? Yes he is. Is he the best? No way. If he was, he wouldn't have signed a 1 year deal.
He wants to hit free agency again next year, because he wants to better dictate where he plays and what he makes.

The window is seemingly closing in Denver, and this one year deal offers more flexibility.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

InsaneMustang

1st Team
Jul 30, 2001
He wants to hit free agency again next year, because he wants to better dictate where he plays and what he makes.
An extremely risky move no matter how bad you want to win. An injury can ruin the odds of you making any money in the future.

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
An extremely risky move no matter how bad you want to win. An injury can ruin the odds of you making any money in the future.
Mathis is already the oldest starting offensive lineman in the NFL, and a rising 34-year old offensive guard is never going to get any real future guarantee. He takes on no additional risk by signing a one-year deal.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
Couldn't he take a fraction of the four million he makes for certain and insure himself against possible future injury?
For some reason, I was thinking that was fairly common practice.

It sure would seem like a lot more fun playing for a contender.

InsaneMustang

1st Team
Jul 30, 2001
Couldn't he take a fraction of the four million he makes for certain and insure himself against possible future injury?
For some reason, I was thinking that was fairly common practice.

It sure would seem like a lot more fun playing for a contender.
At his age, insurance would cost him probably half of his salary and if he doesn't get injured, it's gone.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
He's been in the NFL for a long time and he's been recognized as an upper tier offensive lineman. If he's still concerned about money now, he's in big trouble.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
At his age, insurance would cost him probably half of his salary and if he doesn't get injured, it's gone.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It's possible he has a long standing insurance policy that was priced to him when he was younger, making it reasonable.
And as another poster pointed out, he's been a pro for a good while, hopefully he has put a little aside in savings or investments.
In my opinion, he could likely well afford to play for only 4 million. Many people would consider that pay rate a windfall.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.