Breaking News: Reporter and Photographer Killed During Live TV Interview In Virginia

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
This is a story my brother is working from his station:

MONETA, VA (WSLS 10/WPRI) – Virginia Police are searching for a person who they say shot at multiple people Wednesday morning, killing WDBJ7’s reporter Alison Parker, 24, and photojournalist Adam Ward, 27, at the Bridgewater Plaza near Smith Mountain Lake — which is located about 26 miles southeast of Roanoke.

According to Franklin County Sheriff Department’s Spokesperson Phillip Young, the shooting occurred at the Bedford County-Franklin County line in Moneta at 6:45 a.m. Wednesday, August 26.

(Note: he's in Rhode Island, this is NOT his station, he's just the writer of this piece).

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
there is a video out there of the event happening. I made the mistake of clicking on it and then cut it off as soon as the shooting happened. DO NOT WATCH it, it is horrible.

They are talking to a woman from the Chamber of Commerce about tourism and someone from off camera just starts shooting

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
there is a video out there of the event happening. I made the mistake of clicking on it and then cut it off as soon as the shooting happened. DO NOT WATCH it, it is horrible.

They are talking to a woman from the Chamber of Commerce about tourism and someone from off camera just starts shooting
How horrid. Thanks for the head up to not watch the video.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
Yah, I went to a news page where it autoplayed and man, it's pretty awful.
same, auto playing video is a great way to never have me use a site again

got on yahoo! video yesterday and it played 2 videos at the same time, 2. No wonder yahoo is going out of business

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Serious question having nothing to do with the shooting - is there a better "collective" news site than Yahoo that I can go to?

I use Yahoo on my I phone and:

a) about 90% of it is nothing but liberal OPINION
b) another 5% is conservative OPINION
c) about 5% is a basic news story
d) every time I click on Huffington Post - even accidentally - when I go "back" to the main page it take me right back to the HP article.

I mean literally most of it is left-wing shilling (vox, HuffPo) NOT news (and what isn't lw shilling is rw shilling).

Before they messed it all up, MSNBC's web page used to be my first source to check every morning - but they've redone the page and most news is "video" and more shilling. And let's not even talk Fox News, jeez.

Anybody? Anything?

I tend to find out more from local sites where I used to live than I do from the puff pieces masquerading as news.

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
same, auto playing video is a great way to never have me use a site again

got on yahoo! video yesterday and it played 2 videos at the same time, 2. No wonder yahoo is going out of business
The best is when you have like 10 tabs open and videos with > two minute delay. I love hunting down the source of the noise. It's great.

SavannahDare

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Gulf Breeze, Florida
I'm telling you, this Instant News world we're living in, with the inundation of recorded video and live streaming of all the awful things humans to do each other is just NOT meant for general consumption. The vast majority of us are ill-equipped to psychologically deal with that sort of input without warning/preparation (and some not even then).

Add this to yet another thing that's "out there" that I will go out of my way to not look at. It's bad enough even knowing it's out there.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
The best is when you have like 10 tabs open and videos with > two minute delay. I love hunting down the source of the noise. It's great.
Pro-tip. use google chrome it has solved this problem with a speaker icon on the tab that is playing sound.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
Serious question having nothing to do with the shooting - is there a better "collective" news site than Yahoo that I can go to?

I use Yahoo on my I phone and:

a) about 90% of it is nothing but liberal OPINION
b) another 5% is conservative OPINION
c) about 5% is a basic news story
d) every time I click on Huffington Post - even accidentally - when I go "back" to the main page it take me right back to the HP article.

I mean literally most of it is left-wing shilling (vox, HuffPo) NOT news (and what isn't lw shilling is rw shilling).

Before they messed it all up, MSNBC's web page used to be my first source to check every morning - but they've redone the page and most news is "video" and more shilling. And let's not even talk Fox News, jeez.

Anybody? Anything?

I tend to find out more from local sites where I used to live than I do from the puff pieces masquerading as news.
personally I prefer Google news to all the other aggregators, because you can tailor it to you own needs. For example I have property in different states so want local news from both, google does that. I also keep feeds for my larger customers, the company I work for, my industry and partners I deal with. That way at a glance I can see just about anything that is interesting to me.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
I'm telling you, this Instant News world we're living in, with the inundation of recorded video and live streaming of all the awful things humans to do each other is just NOT meant for general consumption. The vast majority of us are ill-equipped to psychologically deal with that sort of input without warning/preparation (and some not even then).

Add this to yet another thing that's "out there" that I will go out of my way to not look at. It's bad enough even knowing it's out there.
agreed

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
its going around Reddit right now that this was the Cameraman's last day on the job and his fiancee was a producer on the show, meaning that she watched this happen live. Horrendous

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
its going around Reddit right now that this was the Cameraman's last day on the job and his fiancee was a producer on the show, meaning that she watched this happen live. Horrendous
i cant imagine how horrible this was for them and for all of the other folks at the tv station watching this unfold live

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.