Link: At Auburn, Athletics and Academics Collide

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
Re: Wall Street Journal exposes possible academic fraud at Auburn

Cow Patties' capitulation go "Splat!" - and may stick real good, so one would hope.

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
Well, the loud mouths among the Barners (and there ARE some good fans of Auburn, seriously) blame the REC for everything. They blamed us for the Eric Ramsey scandal, using the following 'logic:'

Ramsey recorded the transactions on audio tape. Ramsey went to Birmingham and hired Donald Watkins, the attorney of Mayor Richard Arrington. Watkins took the case in an attempt to 'punish' Auburn for the removal of the Iron Bowl from an annual affair at Legion Field. Watkins then released the tapes in an effort to distract the Auburn team in 1991, releasing the first batch before the toughest road game of the year (Tennessee), another batch during the off week (to keep the story in the news), and the alleged conversation with Dye just before the Iron Bowl. Auburn got socked with probation and it's all Alabama's fault.

Never mind that you have to answer:
a) how did we trick Auburn into recruiting Ramsey
b) how did we trick them into redshirting him, which made him jealous
c) how did we get him to get envious of his brother-in-law Aundray Bruce, who was rich thanks to a signing bonus
d) how did we get Auburn coaches to make financial offers
e) how did we get them to pay for the offers
f) how did we get Bobby Lowder's bank to give Ramsey an illegal loan at Dye's direction

No, none of those obvious problems matters. The REC did it, and that's it. And MSU is to blame for the Cam Newton scandal, too.

Yeah, whatever.

I had a great friend back in the late 90s who was an Auburn grad from the Engineering school. A nice, upstanding, Christian guy, ethical in his practices. He - an Auburn fan, one of the good ones - thought his own school should have gotten the death penalty over the Ramsey scandal. Never once did he blame Alabama for any of that stuff.

Wish I'd been around him when the Cam scandal broke to get his take.
​Quit using logic. That stuff would never fly with AU's administators.

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL
Without the Crimson glasses on I think you would realize we have a few of these majors too. Sounds to me like the committee failed to do their due diligence on that before making the recommendation. Once that was made - well the horse was outta the barn so the speak. Now "Lucy got some 'splainin' to do... Ooops

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
​Quit using logic. That stuff would never fly with AU's administators.
Or the fans who dreamt up that scenario.

I'm sitting there listening to two Auburn fans complain about the whole Ramseygate thing and the audio tapes (which made it so clandestine) and all I'm thinking is......"But how did Alabama get Auburn's coaches to make the offers they're making on tape...???"

A new movie came out that fall similar to this logic - it was called "JFK" by Oliver Stone.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I feel like SACS is the bigger concern too because accreditation has legitimate blowback for the University.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
I feel like SACS is the bigger concern too because accreditation has legitimate blowback for the University.
They went through a SACS issue a few years ago. If I remember right, it was around trustees (read Lowder and Raine) having too much influence over the academic offerings, and too much involvement in the athletic program.

Lots of sound and fury, amounting to nothing. This will be a mild embarrassment to the boogs, but nothing more.

Wait....they can't be embarrassed. Never mind. This will amount to exactly nothing.

Last edited:

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
They went through a SACS issue a few years ago. If I remember right, it was around trustees (read Lowder and Raine) having too much influence over the academic offerings, and too much involvement in the athletic program.

Lots of sound and fury, amounting to nothing. This will be a mild embarrassment to the boogs, but nothing more.

Wait....they can't be embarrassed. Never mind. This will amount to exactly nothing.
No doubt but you can't disburse federal financial aid without being an accredited institution and I'm pretty sure research grants have similar stipulations. A scare can mean losing out on students and high-quality professors because they don't need the risk.

GP for Bama

All-American
Feb 3, 2011
Nothing has happened with NCAA or SACs with the RAMPANT academic fraud at North Carolina....nothing will come of this at AU.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
Nothing has happened with NCAA or SACs with the RAMPANT academic fraud at North Carolina....nothing will come of this at AU.
ACTIONS speak louder than words. Can anyone name a major college who has been discredited by SACs? They are a "watchdog" agency in effect and won't do anything but "lay the law down (this better not happen again!) and continue to meet occasionally and draw they salary.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
I'm afraid your probably right. The "steering" of athletes into certain majors and undue influence/pressure on faculty has gone on for over 40 years at Auburn. SACS didn't stop then. They won't stop it now.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
I saw an article this morning where Gus is asked to explain why so many of his players major in "basket-weaving". He just shrugged and says each player makes his own decision. No problem, nothing to talk about, next question.

Barner fans, reading Gus's evasion, feel their hearts swell with pride as Gus keeps his language proper. No swearing from that saint, never a cuss word. Why can't more coaches follow his lead?

Capt. Jack

Suspended
Jun 20, 2006
Auburn easily has the most corrupt athletic program of all time. Scandal, after scandal, after scandal.

Jordan54

1st Team
Aug 20, 2007
Gardendale, Al
Auburn easily has the most corrupt athletic program of all time. Scandal, after scandal, after scandal.
I agree. What's disturbing in this case is the fact that Top officials at the University, overruled the committee's decision to eliminate the major, after concluding that the major added very little to the school’s academic mission. Auburn's only "mission" was and always will be, doing whatever they have to do to keep up with Alabama. This case is further proof of that. Just my opinion.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.