Link: At Auburn, Athletics and Academics Collide

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
My brother saw "the handwriting on the wall" when he was told he was going to "pass or give an incomplete" to three players that actually showed up for his class less than a handful of times. He was pretty much told by his faculty mentor (who still happens to be there in an emeritus position) that "to get along, you go along".

He decided simply to just "move along".

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Do any of you remember Dontae Jones? He played in the NBA for the Pitino on the Celtics for a couple of years, and he and Erik Dampier were the stars of Mississippi State's 1996 Final Four run.

Before he was at MSU, Jones attended my alma mater, NEMCC (from whence Deion Belue also matriculated). While there he was - shall we say - given grades he didn't earn but one of the Psych profs pulled a Jan Kemp and disagreed with it.

She got fired.

She walked off with $571,000 and her job back.

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
What is wrong with a Publix Administration degree? It's a growing company and this could feed them with talent for new stores.
Are you insinuating that Cowpatties may endow a Shame-us Winnocentston Chair of Publix Five-Finger Discount "Administration?"

IH8Orange

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2000
Trussville, AL, USA
It seems strange to give credit to Pat Dye (the man who lost his pants in Lake Martin) for anything positive, but I worked with a lady in the late 1990's whose husband (henceforth referred to as "Champ") played at Auburn under Pat Dye while majoring in an engineering discipline and being active in many professional organizations affiliated with that discipline. She said that Coach Dye would sometimes let Champ leave practice early or arrive late (or even miss practice on a few occasions) if he had a conflict with one of his classes or organizational activities. Coach Dye simply requested that Champ let him know as far in advance as possible and there were a few occasions where Coach Dye refused to let him out of a particular practice or team activity, but most of the time Champ was allowed to relegate a football-related activity to a lower priority if a schedule conflict arose. I believe that he was redshirted in 1990 and then may have played some limited snaps in the 1991 season, but he lettered in 1992.

When Tiny Terry took over, he allegedly told Champ that he needed to switch his major to something less demanding on his time because Tiny Terry wasn't going to allow anything to take priority over football. Champ allegedly told Buster Brown that he didn't want to change majors because he had three years in his current major, he had no future as a professional football player, and this was his passion and path to success. Buster told him that some players had decided to put the team first and had switched to easier majors, but Champ still refused to change majors. He continued to put his education first and apparently paid the price because he slid off the depth chart and never played in another game.

He is now the owner of a successful Engineering Consulting Firm. I wonder what ever became of those players that switched majors to put the team first?

rolltide7854

All-American
Aug 20, 2007
Birmingham, Ala
When Tiny Terry took over, he allegedly told Champ that he needed to switch his major to something less demanding on his time because Tiny Terry wasn't going to allow anything to take priority over football. Champ allegedly told Buster Brown that he didn't want to change majors because he had three years in his current major, he had no future as a professional football player, and this was his passion and path to success. Buster told him that some players had decided to put the team first and had switched to easier majors, but Champ still refused to change majors. He continued to put his education first and apparently paid the price because he slid off the depth chart and never played in another game.

He is now the owner of a successful Engineering Consulting Firm. I wonder what ever became of those players that switched majors to put the team first?[/QUOTE]

Probably asks "Do you want fries with that?" a lot

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.