Link: At Auburn, Athletics and Academics Collide

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Click

In 2013, Auburn University’s curriculum review committee took up the case of a small, unpopular undergraduate major called public administration. After concluding that the major added very little to the school’s academic mission, the committee voted to eliminate it.

But according to internal documents and emails reviewed by The Wall Street Journal, the committee’s decision was ultimately overruled by top administrators after it met significant opposition from another powerful force on campus: Auburn’s athletic department.

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
This isn't surprising at all. It's an easy degree for kids who don't want to spend too much time living in the "collegiate" side of collegiate athletics I'm assuming.

It wouldn't surprise me if you looked through this year's media guide and a large portion of the football team was pursuing this degree.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

mulletover

All-SEC
Dec 1, 2009
Cullman Alabama
It's the old Sociology joke all over. Hey, might as well go the easiest path to a degree athlete or other. The company I work for doesn't care what your degree's in as long as you have one. They brainwash then reprogram you as soon as you hire in anyway.

Al Becker

3rd Team
Jan 25, 2011
Trussville, Al.
No surprise to anyone, but barners are blaming the REC. Also mentioning that WSJ and Tuscaloosa news are owned by he same company. ​clearly a plot devised by Bama.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
No surprise to anyone, but barners are blaming the REC. Also mentioning that WSJ and Tuscaloosa news are owned by he same company. ​clearly a plot devised by Bama.
Well, the loud mouths among the Barners (and there ARE some good fans of Auburn, seriously) blame the REC for everything. They blamed us for the Eric Ramsey scandal, using the following 'logic:'

Ramsey recorded the transactions on audio tape. Ramsey went to Birmingham and hired Donald Watkins, the attorney of Mayor Richard Arrington. Watkins took the case in an attempt to 'punish' Auburn for the removal of the Iron Bowl from an annual affair at Legion Field. Watkins then released the tapes in an effort to distract the Auburn team in 1991, releasing the first batch before the toughest road game of the year (Tennessee), another batch during the off week (to keep the story in the news), and the alleged conversation with Dye just before the Iron Bowl. Auburn got socked with probation and it's all Alabama's fault.

Never mind that you have to answer:
a) how did we trick Auburn into recruiting Ramsey
b) how did we trick them into redshirting him, which made him jealous
c) how did we get him to get envious of his brother-in-law Aundray Bruce, who was rich thanks to a signing bonus
d) how did we get Auburn coaches to make financial offers
e) how did we get them to pay for the offers
f) how did we get Bobby Lowder's bank to give Ramsey an illegal loan at Dye's direction

No, none of those obvious problems matters. The REC did it, and that's it. And MSU is to blame for the Cam Newton scandal, too.

Yeah, whatever.

I had a great friend back in the late 90s who was an Auburn grad from the Engineering school. A nice, upstanding, Christian guy, ethical in his practices. He - an Auburn fan, one of the good ones - thought his own school should have gotten the death penalty over the Ramsey scandal. Never once did he blame Alabama for any of that stuff.

Wish I'd been around him when the Cam scandal broke to get his take.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
This isn't surprising at all. It's an easy degree for kids who don't want to spend too much time living in the "collegiate" side of collegiate athletics I'm assuming.

It wouldn't surprise me if you looked through this year's media guide and a large portion of the football team was pursuing this degree.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
Of course, many athletes major in a general subject. Some even major in "general studies." This is different, though. Auburn's athletic department, the one that doesn't make much - if any - money, says it is willing to pay the salaries of the people in the undergraduate department in order to keep athletes in the program which will help them keep the necessary GPA.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
In other news, "Water is Wet!!!"..

Seriously though, it was this reason my late brother walked away from a faculty position at Auburn and possible tenure in the early 1980's. An over reaching athletic department leveraging pressure on professors to change grades or retest in order to keep athletes eligible.

Some things never change.

BTW it was widely known that James Brooks was pretty much functionally illiterate when he left heading to the pro's.

steej71

BamaNation Citizen
Feb 17, 2011
Wall Street Journal exposes possible academic fraud at Auburn

http://yellowhammernews.com/sports/...t-uses-power-to-overrule-education-decisions/

Administrators voted to disband a major "... But according to internal documents and emails reviewed by The Wall Street Journal, the committee’s decision was ultimately overruled by top administrators after it met significant opposition from another powerful force on campus: Auburn’s athletic department."

"In fall 2013, around half of the 100 students in the major were athletes, with nearly all the school’s top football players, including starting quarterback Nick Marshall."

steej71

BamaNation Citizen
Feb 17, 2011
Re: Wall Street Journal exposes possible academic fraud at Auburn

Whoops, sorry for the duplicate thread, admins.

Bad Pony

All-American
Nov 14, 1999
Pelham

All that needs to be said...

The report showed that 26 football players, or 32% of the 2014 team, were majoring in public administration.

steej71

BamaNation Citizen
Feb 17, 2011

The posts on the Auburn board are pretty typical: http://www.aufamily.com/forums/topic/146816-wall-street-journal/

Except for this guy: "I seriously doubt that the Wall Street Journal has some sort of plot to smear Auburn. I really don't get the persecution complex some folks on this board seem to have. I'll admit there are certain journalists who are obviously biased against Auburn, but most of them are doing it to get reads from rival fan bases. The next week, they turn around and do it to another school and we flock to the articles. Again though, I don't think that's what's going on here.

Also, even if the major had been shut down, I'm 99% sure they would've let any current majors finish their degrees. That's how these things work; it's not like all of those players would've been hung out to dry with a bunch of useless credits. The issue here is that athletics wants to keep up a specific major that a large amount of athletes tend to major in. Are we really going to say it's coincidence that all of these athletes are just interested in public administration? Does no one here remember what was going on with sociology under Tuberville when we nearly lost our accreditation? Let's take off the orange and blue glasses and hold our school accountable for its mistakes."

Capt. Jack

Suspended
Jun 20, 2006

The athletes are the real losers here. They had the opportunity to get a real education and better themselves, yet chose to just get by.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.