Questions about buying a car

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
Always tread carefully. My boss recently discovered that a Jaguar XKR transmission runs north of $10K.
2 things

1, never own a Jag or any British car. I had a Triumph TR7 and my family had MG's growing up so that'll never happen for me personally outside of winning the lottery and buying an early 60's model you never catch me owning a Jag

2. that's when you dump the car and move on.

Catfish

Hall of Fame
Oct 11, 2005
Birmingham
Always tread carefully. My boss recently discovered that a Jaguar XKR transmission runs north of $10K.
That's why I wouldn't consider a high-end car unless I was pretty sure I wouldn't have it beyond whatever time frame the warranty covers. I understand why people do, but a repair bill that high is not something I'd want to deal with. We've had good luck with Hondas and will probably stick with them. Mine was two years old and purchased from an individual. I paid about half of sticker price and $2,000 below blue book. The only repairs I've had are a door lock motor and a wiper motor and it's got 220,000 miles on it now. I drive 35-40K per year. Mrs. Catfish's 2013 Pilot was bought new and has been great. She's a born negotiator who's skills were finely-honed in her previous career, so we got a really good deal on it. She spent two months talking to Lord knows how many dealerships, though.

AlistarWills

All-American
Jul 26, 2006
For the record...I've been in the car business for about 7 years (from sales to management). Presenting the isuue to the sales manager will get you a new salesperson, but the salesperson in question will still get half the comission from the deal. I know alot of people in the business, especially with Honda. I would love to know what dealership you have been working with. There are some good ones and there are some you absolutley do not want to do business with. I have spent alot of time with both Honda and Nissan...buy the Honda. Nissans tend to visit the service department more frequently and are worth less when it's time to get rid of them
P.S...this is not a plug for myself. I am currently with another brand
Brannon is who we're dealing with.

AlistarWills

All-American
Jul 26, 2006
I'm going to be in the market for a new car (well, slightly used) in a few months. Unless I got a great deal on a new car, I think I've bought my last brand new car. The depreciation is a killer if for some reason you have to get rid of it in the first couple of years. A lease turn in on an Accord or Acura is probably what I will look at.

Back to the original post, I had a salesman ask me if I would be willing to "make a decision and sign papers today." I got the hell out. :)
I had the same thing happen. Told him "free" would get me to sign today. The guy called me this past Monday or Tuesday asking me to make an offer. I told him "$5" and he laughed. I told him I was on the phone with a customer and couldn't talk so he told me to call him back. Obviously I have not. Like I said, he's French, and I know their culture comes across as rude here. I'm born and bred Southern. I expect a certain amount of politeness. Pushy won't get you anywhere.

Catfish

Hall of Fame
Oct 11, 2005
Birmingham
That's where we got our Pilot. They seem to be good people. The people at Damson Honda in Florence were good to work with, too. We almost bought from them. I had a bad experience with Tameron once and won't deal with them again.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I've got an older 07 Altima. Had the air conditioner compressor go out 2 months after the warranty expired. Never had tire issues. So not sure about that. I'm currently fighting an issue where the rear rotor keeps warping. Never had a problem with that until the last year or so when I let the Nissan place work on the breaks. Not sure if these new rotors are just crappy or what.

Last car was a Honda (lasted forever.) Current car is an Acura(love it.) My advice, buy something from built by Honda.
The answer is they are crappy. They are too thin now even to turn and resurface...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
For used cars, I've had good luck with CarMax.

They are priced toward the upper end of the price range, but I've found the structure and selection worth the extra money.

If you do go that route, there is also a quirk regarding inspection - they allow a return for any reason within either 3 or 5 days, I don't remember which. But they won't let you get the car inspected before you buy.

Their position is that you have several days to get it inspected, and can undo the transaction if you don't like the findings. Don't know what happens if you sell your old car to them -- as in, can you undo the trade-in? Wasn't an issue for me, but would be something to address.
This is an understatement. My Tacoma is used, a 2011, which I bought a couple of years ago. I looked at a 2010 at Carmax with about 25K on it. I backed out on a tentative deal and shopped a wider area. I ended up getting essentially the same truck, but a 2011 model with between 5K and 6K on it for $1,000 less...

superbamashane

1st Team
Aug 14, 2006
Sylacauga, AL
I can't say anything bad about Brannon...pretty good people. The sales manager at Tameron is a stand up guy, but thats not to say evryone there that way. There are idiots at every store. There is another big Honda dealer in Birmingham whose name i won't call (lets just say their sister store has made the news) that i know very well. I am a firm believer in Honda and have put my whole family in them, but I would buy a used Yugo before i went to this unnamed place.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
I had the same thing happen. Told him "free" would get me to sign today. The guy called me this past Monday or Tuesday asking me to make an offer. I told him "$5" and he laughed. I told him I was on the phone with a customer and couldn't talk so he told me to call him back. Obviously I have not. Like I said, he's French, and I know their culture comes across as rude here. I'm born and bred Southern. I expect a certain amount of politeness. Pushy won't get you anywhere.
with just a few days left in the month rude shouldn't surprise you. He thinks if pushes just right he'll close another sale and I'm sure his GM or Sales Manager is encouraging him to call you

superbamashane

1st Team
Aug 14, 2006
Sylacauga, AL
If you wanna say what vehicle you are looking at, I'll make a phone call and tell you what you can buy the car for. You may have to make some phone calls or email a couple of places to find someone to accept your offer, but somebody will.

Last edited:

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
If you wanna say what vehicle you are looking at, I'll make a phone call and tell you what you can buy the car for. You may have to make some phone calls or email a couple of places to find someone to accept your offer, but somebody will.
If he can find someone to sell a late model used car for $5 with a few phone calls or emails, he should change careers.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
with just a few days left in the month rude shouldn't surprise you. He thinks if pushes just right he'll close another sale and I'm sure his GM or Sales Manager is encouraging him to call you
OTOH, it's frequently not a bad time to get the best deal. One thing I can't understand is why it takes so damned long to buy a car. It's worse than buying a gun - and I always buy cash, bringing a cashier's check. That used to take an hour. The truck I mentioned took a couple of hours. Two years ago, with the Subaru, which I bought in CO Spgs, the dealership picked us up at our hotel in the morning. Six hours later, we were on our way, still having to drive over to Vail - and that was with a cashier's check in hand. Even further back, the previous Tacoma we bought from the local dealership. Hell, the damned dealer was a co-partner in a condo in Vail and it was still at least 3 hours. I've gotten the impression I was being "put on ice."

Catfish

Hall of Fame
Oct 11, 2005
Birmingham
A fraternity brother of mine worked his way through college selling used cars. On day, a guy came in and wanted to look at any BMWs they had. The guy said he'd been looking for a while and had done all of his research. They went to the first one which was listed at $12,500, but didn't have the price posted on it. The guy said, "Nice! That's a $15,000 car." Without missing a beat, my frat brother said, "It sure is." :wink:

superbamashane

1st Team
Aug 14, 2006
Sylacauga, AL
OTOH, it's frequently not a bad time to get the best deal. One thing I can't understand is why it takes so damned long to buy a car. It's worse than buying a gun - and I always buy cash, bringing a cashier's check. That used to take an hour. The truck I mentioned took a couple of hours. Two years ago, with the Subaru, which I bought in CO Spgs, the dealership picked us up at our hotel in the morning. Six hours later, we were on our way, still having to drive over to Vail - and that was with a cashier's check in hand. Even further back, the previous Tacoma we bought from the local dealership. Hell, the damned dealer was a co-partner in a condo in Vail and it was still at least 3 hours. I've gotten the impression I was being "put on ice."
There are 2 types of dealerships...unit based and gross based. You can get a good deal at a unit based dealership anytime of the month. Their goal is to sell as many units as they can every month. Gross based dealerships spend the first three weeks of the month making as much profit as they can, and the last week scratching and clawing to hit the quota. You can definately get a better deal at the end of the month. 95% of dealerships are gross based. As far as how long the paperwork took, that is ridiculous.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
There are 2 types of dealerships...unit based and gross based. You can get a good deal at a unit based dealership anytime of the month. Their goal is to sell as many units as they can every month. Gross based dealerships spend the first three weeks of the month making as much profit as they can, and the last week scratching and clawing to hit the quota. You can definately get a better deal at the end of the month. 95% of dealerships are gross based. As far as how long the paperwork took, that is ridiculous.
I'm glad to hear that about the time though...

CaliforniaTide

All-American
Aug 9, 2006
Huntsville, AL
I'm going to keep reading this thread. My wife and I are looking for a car to replace hers because we need two full-time vehicles as opposed to just one and pray for the other. Our finances just haven't quite worked out for us to do it. I never thought about CPOs before however. Our primary vehicle is a 2009 Jeep, and since I started driving, I've always driven a Jeep and never had any serious problems (knock on wood). We need highly dependable city car that will become our primary vehicle. Thanks for the info!

AlistarWills

All-American
Jul 26, 2006
If he can find someone to sell a late model used car for $5 with a few phone calls or emails, he should change careers.
I have a co-worker that came upon a Mini Cooper a guy had sheltered in his basement. Guy owed him about $1000 for some computer work he did and just let him have the Cooper for somewhere between 3-4k. He drove it for a year or so and traded the Cooper in on a GMC pickup and made $200 off the trade.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.