Questions about buying a car

AlistarWills

All-American
Jul 26, 2006
So I'm car shopping and went into a dealership and got a salesman I really didn't like. He was French and between cultures and the accent causing communication issues and him being somewhat pushy after telling him I wasn't buying that day, I was just very unhappy dealing with him. Has anyone ever dealt with something like this and went back and dealt with another salesman? I know the guy we had put our info in their computer system and seemingly "laid claim" to us. We've bought from this dealership before and likely will again, I just don't want to deal with that salesman.

I'm also open to haggling tips. I'm not great at it. I'm tempted to walk in and make an offer to write out a check for a specific amount and see if they'll accept.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
So I'm car shopping and went into a dealership and got a salesman I really didn't like. He was French and between cultures and the accent causing communication issues and him being somewhat pushy after telling him I wasn't buying that day, I was just very unhappy dealing with him. Has anyone ever dealt with something like this and went back and dealt with another salesman? I know the guy we had put our info in their computer system and seemingly "laid claim" to us. We've bought from this dealership before and likely will again, I just don't want to deal with that salesman.

I'm also open to haggling tips. I'm not great at it. I'm tempted to walk in and make an offer to write out a check for a specific amount and see if they'll accept.
I would never hesitate to call the Sales Manager and tell him that you did not get good vibes with that salesperson and you want to assigned to someone else. They will be happy to accommodate and the salesman will learn a lesson...

Last edited:

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California

Did your former salesperson leave? If not, just call them up. If so, Earl's advice seems reasonable. Depending on how things work at this dealership he may still get a cut of this deal - if there is a deal.

What car are you looking at?

RedStar

Hall of Fame
Jan 28, 2005
The Shoals, AL
Lots of good advice so far. Definitely don't feel bad asking for another salesman. Which dealership is this? Is it a member of the University Auto Group? If so RUN. RUN RUN RUN.

It depends on if you're buying used or new, but the most important piece of advice I can give is to be patient. Narrow down exactly what you're looking for and wait it out. The price you want will be there, it might just take you a while to find it. We got my wife a used 2009 Volvo XC90 a few weeks ago for the exact same price we sold our 2005 Nissan Xterra for, and it had fewer miles. I looked around for months until we finally found one at the price we wanted. Patience saves you the most money when car shopping.

AlistarWills

All-American
Jul 26, 2006
Did your former salesperson leave? If not, just call them up. If so, Earl's advice seems reasonable. Depending on how things work at this dealership he may still get a cut of this deal - if there is a deal.

What car are you looking at?
Don't know if the former salesperson left or not. It was 4 or 5 years ago and frankly I just don't remember their name or face.
Looking at an Accord from the dealership in question. Been weighing it against an Altima but I keep getting negative comments on it. Insurance is more, I was told by a tire shop that they frequently have problems with them, a friend had one and said they had nothing but trouble out of the one they had and parted ways with it after 2 years.

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
Been weighing it against an Altima but I keep getting negative comments on it. Insurance is more, I was told by a tire shop that they frequently have problems with them, a friend had one and said they had nothing but trouble out of the one they had and parted ways with it after 2 years.
I've got an older 07 Altima. Had the air conditioner compressor go out 2 months after the warranty expired. Never had tire issues. So not sure about that. I'm currently fighting an issue where the rear rotor keeps warping. Never had a problem with that until the last year or so when I let the Nissan place work on the breaks. Not sure if these new rotors are just crappy or what.

Last car was a Honda (lasted forever.) Current car is an Acura(love it.) My advice, buy something from built by Honda.

superbamashane

1st Team
Aug 14, 2006
Sylacauga, AL
For the record...I've been in the car business for about 7 years (from sales to management). Presenting the isuue to the sales manager will get you a new salesperson, but the salesperson in question will still get half the comission from the deal. I know alot of people in the business, especially with Honda. I would love to know what dealership you have been working with. There are some good ones and there are some you absolutley do not want to do business with. I have spent alot of time with both Honda and Nissan...buy the Honda. Nissans tend to visit the service department more frequently and are worth less when it's time to get rid of them
P.S...this is not a plug for myself. I am currently with another brand

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
For used cars, I've had good luck with CarMax.

They are priced toward the upper end of the price range, but I've found the structure and selection worth the extra money.

If you do go that route, there is also a quirk regarding inspection - they allow a return for any reason within either 3 or 5 days, I don't remember which. But they won't let you get the car inspected before you buy.

Their position is that you have several days to get it inspected, and can undo the transaction if you don't like the findings. Don't know what happens if you sell your old car to them -- as in, can you undo the trade-in? Wasn't an issue for me, but would be something to address.

ValuJet

Sep 28, 2000
For used cars, I've had good luck with CarMax.

They are priced toward the upper end of the price range, but I've found the structure and selection worth the extra money.

If you do go that route, there is also a quirk regarding inspection - they allow a return for any reason within either 3 or 5 days, I don't remember which. But they won't let you get the car inspected before you buy.

Their position is that you have several days to get it inspected, and can undo the transaction if you don't like the findings. Don't know what happens if you sell your old car to them -- as in, can you undo the trade-in? Wasn't an issue for me, but would be something to address.
I learned a valuable lesson years ago when I was about to purchase a two year old car from a dealership's used lot. I went in with my cashier's check to buy the car and, on the advice of a friend, asked the salesman to let me take the car to a mechanic friend to check it out. He reluctantly agreed. When I got to my friend's shop he put it up on the rack and said "This car has had a lot of body damage." He showed me where the frame had been welded back together.

I took the car back and told the salesman thanks but no thanks. This was in the days before carfax and whatever other services are out there. I also learned from that experience that dealers go to auctions and buy whatever cars they can get their hands on (flooded, wrecked, etc.).

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
Don't know if the former salesperson left or not. It was 4 or 5 years ago and frankly I just don't remember their name or face.
Looking at an Accord from the dealership in question. Been weighing it against an Altima but I keep getting negative comments on it. Insurance is more, I was told by a tire shop that they frequently have problems with them, a friend had one and said they had nothing but trouble out of the one they had and parted ways with it after 2 years.
if you want an accord don't sweat the individual dealer. Do some research at place like this http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/86-9th-generation/ and find out what others are paying, what options are worth it (and what aren't) and then start emailing all the honda dealers with *exactly* what you want within whatever distance you are comfortable going to pick it up until someone gives you the best deal on the best car. Or get the best deal then email the GM at you local dealer and see if they'll match it. Make sure you are specific, asking for an "out the door" price so you can compare apples to apples.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
I learned a valuable lesson years ago when I was about to purchase a two year old car from a dealership's used lot. I went in with my cashier's check to buy the car and, on the advice of a friend, asked the salesman to let me take the car to a mechanic friend to check it out. He reluctantly agreed. When I got to my friend's shop he put it up on the rack and said "This car has had a lot of body damage." He showed me where the frame had been welded back together.

I took the car back and told the salesman thanks but no thanks. This was in the days before carfax and whatever other services are out there. I also learned from that experience that dealers go to auctions and buy whatever cars they can get their hands on (flooded, wrecked, etc.).
and carfax's guarantee is not enough to go on, always get an inspection on a used car. Anyone who doesn't want you to is trying to scam you

ValuJet

Sep 28, 2000
and carfax's guarantee is not enough to go on, always get an inspection on a used car. Anyone who doesn't want you to is trying to scam you
I'm going to be in the market for a new car (well, slightly used) in a few months. Unless I got a great deal on a new car, I think I've bought my last brand new car. The depreciation is a killer if for some reason you have to get rid of it in the first couple of years. A lease turn in on an Accord or Acura is probably what I will look at.

Back to the original post, I had a salesman ask me if I would be willing to "make a decision and sign papers today." I got the hell out. :)

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
I'm going to be in the market for a new car (well, slightly used) in a few months. Unless I got a great deal on a new car, I think I've bought my last brand new car. The depreciation is a killer if for some reason you have to get rid of it in the first couple of years. A lease turn in on an Accord or Acura is probably what I will look at.

Back to the original post, I had a salesman ask me if I would be willing to "make a decision and sign papers today." I got the hell out. :)
I have always said I'll buy one more new car, take German delivery and then go rip around the audobahn and the Alps in it. Outside of that I'm right with you. I buy high end german cars certified used. Typically the german CPO programs have pretty great warranties and so far I've been happy with them. Might want to look at Acuras CPO program. Never looked in to theirs but I hear Lexus's is fantastic, I'd bet Acura's is on par

lazlohollyfeld

1st Team
Jul 20, 2010
Allen, TX
I have always said I'll buy one more new car, take German delivery and then go rip around the audobahn and the Alps in it. Outside of that I'm right with you. I buy high end german cars certified used. Typically the german CPO programs have pretty great warranties and so far I've been happy with them. Might want to look at Acuras CPO program. Never looked in to theirs but I hear Lexus's is fantastic, I'd bet Acura's is on par

I only buy Lexus CPO for the wife and myself. It is fantastic. A 161 item inspection, 3 year warranty or 100,000 total miles that covers the same item as a new car warranty, roadside assistance, loaner cars, trip interruption (if you are away from home and your Lexus CPO craps the bed they will reimburse for hotel and meals).

I have been a fan for some time.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
I only buy Lexus CPO for the wife and myself. It is fantastic. A 161 item inspection, 3 year warranty or 100,000 total miles that covers the same item as a new car warranty, roadside assistance, loaner cars, trip interruption (if you are away from home and your Lexus CPO craps the bed they will reimburse for hotel and meals).

I have been a fan for some time.
my last CPO purchase was a Mercedes Benz and it exceeded my expectations and was as good or better than any new car experience I've had. The Benz was just 3 years old with 40K Miles and I bought it for 40% of the Sticker price (paid 26K for a car with a 65K Sticker) neighbors, friends and whatnot driving their New SUV's that they paid 35-45K for can't figure out how I can afford such a high end car. I try to tell them then 2 years later they go buy another new one. I haven't had a car payment in years

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
my last CPO purchase was a Mercedes Benz and it exceeded my expectations and was as good or better than any new car experience I've had. The Benz was just 3 years old with 40K Miles and I bought it for 40% of the Sticker price (paid 26K for a car with a 65K Sticker) neighbors, friends and whatnot driving their New SUV's that they paid 35-45K for can't figure out how I can afford such a high end car. I try to tell them then 2 years later they go buy another new one. I haven't had a car payment in years
Some people are terrified of being out of warranty and will pay the price of a whole car just to avoid that surprise. Others simply feel that a used car is somehow demeaning.

I've also never spent more than $20k on a car and they're usually cars that are $60k or more new.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
Some people are terrified of being out of warranty and will pay the price of a whole car just to avoid that surprise. Others simply feel that a used car is somehow demeaning.

I've also never spent more than $20k on a car and they're usually cars that are $60k or more new.
yeah, the benz has been out of warranty for a 4-5 years now and costs me ~$1000 a year to fix. To which people will always say, "you going to replace it?" Um no, I'd rather pay a grand for an out of warranty repair than $500 every month for a payment. Like you I just don't get it.

lazlohollyfeld

1st Team
Jul 20, 2010
Allen, TX
yeah, the benz has been out of warranty for a 4-5 years now and costs me ~$1000 a year to fix. To which people will always say, "you going to replace it?" Um no, I'd rather pay a grand for an out of warranty repair than $500 every month for a payment. Like you I just don't get it.
Always tread carefully. My boss recently discovered that a Jaguar XKR transmission runs north of $10K.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.