Questions about buying a car

RedStar

Hall of Fame
Jan 28, 2005
The Shoals, AL
Mrs. VJ told me about a horror story that happened before we met with a Ford dealership in Miami. She was a single mom with a 14 year old daughter in tow (my Bama stepdaughter) and they asked for her driver's license so they could run her credit. Three hours later they still hadn't given her DL back as they were brow beating her into buying a car from them. She had to threaten to call the police in order to get her driver's license back. She went across the street to another dealership and bought a car from that place and was in and out in less than an hour.

After I walk out of a dealership with no deal I'd be hard pressed to even accept a phone call like you did, 45 minutes away. I don't know why buying a new car is the worst thing in the world imaginable with the lies, deceit, hidden charge, etc. When you go in to see the "Finance Manager" that's usually a worse experience than dealing with the shyster sales person.

The whole experience is just awful. I fully expect Mr. Haney from Green Acres to be sitting in the "Finance Manager's office for the final shakedown.
You've got to be a special kind of monster to be a finance manager. Honestly that would be the most believable super villain for a new Avengers movie.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Same. My last two were in Nashville & Birmingham. Both were finalized over email & phone. All I had to do when I got there (on the legal end) was less than 5 minutes of paperwork. I had someone I knew and trusted drive out to both beforehand and look the vehicles over.
Yes, in the case of the truck, the Toyota dealership was extremely easy to deal with and do a bit of bargaining via email and phone. They certified its condition and, only having 5k on it, almost all of the mfgs warranty was still on it. On the Subaru, it was brand new. I believe the the CO Spgs dealership is the leading dealer in the country. With our flying in, I thought it was amateurish of them not to have the car prepped (we had sent in a hefty deposit) and have us cool our heels. We also had a 1.5 hour hotbox for their extended warranty. You see more Subarus in the mountains there than any other make. In fact, if you're a lesbian, it's almost part of the uniform. (I told Liz that afterwards...) :D

ValuJet

Sep 28, 2000
Subaru has marketed to the ladies of the gay world since at least 2001, when Martina Navratilova did an ad campaign for them.

Subaru is Japanese for "seven sisters" but I am not sure if the Japs pronounce it the way Americans do. "Subaru" sounds European, Nordic maybe.

They are supposed to be good cars.

CaliforniaTide

All-American
Aug 9, 2006
Huntsville, AL
The secret of having a dependable vehicle is less about buying "the right vehicle" and more about the maintenance that you're willing to put into it. The more attention you pay to normal maintenance (oil/filter changes, lube, tires, etc) the less likely it is to leave you sitting on the side of the road.
Jmho
Yes, you're totally right, and that's why my Jeep has done so well far.

TideWatcher

All-SEC
Dec 11, 2006
newton county, ms
Probably Marshall Ford. They still do it that way for a lot of locals. Actually located in Union, Ms. Easy people to deal with.
My grandfather grew up around Philadelphia, Mississippi. I'm not sure how he knew the owner of the dealership, but he did this with a Ford dealership in the area while living in Birmingham during the 90's and early 2000's. My dad and uncle both bought trucks from them, too. They'd call to tell the guy what they wanted and would go meet them somewhere to make the purchase if they liked what they found.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Subaru has marketed to the ladies of the gay world since at least 2001, when Martina Navratilova did an ad campaign for them.

Subaru is Japanese for "seven sisters" but I am not sure if the Japs pronounce it the way Americans do. "Subaru" sounds European, Nordic maybe.

They are supposed to be good cars.
They are absolutely durable cars and the AWD is just to die for, although they have their shortcomings. One of my daughters, who is gay, says that they really target market in the Bay area for lesbians...

ValuJet

Sep 28, 2000
They are absolutely durable cars and the AWD is just to die for, although they have their shortcomings. One of my daughters, who is gay, says that they really target market in the Bay area for lesbians...
When I see them out on the road, they look a littlle small. I am 6'4" but I am not their target audience so it appears to be working for Subaru and their target market. They have been around a long time and are obviously enjoying success.

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
Subaru's have a good reputation in rugged snow country. There seems to be a decent percentage in Alaska. Click and Clack always had decent things to say about them. I haven't seen one that I care for but would take a look if I felt a need for AWD car.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
When I see them out on the road, they look a littlle small. I am 6'4" but I am not their target audience so it appears to be working for Subaru and their target market. They have been around a long time and are obviously enjoying success.
They are actually roomier on the inside than you'd think. On the Subaru forums I belong to, there are a lot of guys your size. We would actually rather have bought the next size up from the Forester, the Outback However, we needed to change then, because our Passat had basically bitten the dust. The Forester was all new for '14 models. The Outback wasn't due for a makeover until the '15 model. So, we settled for the Forester. It would be nice to have a little more room in the rear. Last time we were over in Europe, we rented a Focus. I chuckled over and over again at how huge the Passats looked in Scandinavia. You would be a nice, average size in Scandinavia...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.