Withholding Cost of Attendence Funds (as fines)

stlimprov

1st Team
Nov 9, 2005
Saint Louis, MO
http://espn.go.com/blog/acc/post/_/id/84676/virginia-tech-backtracks-on-plan-to-fine-players

https://twitter.com/schadjoe (re: Tuberville comments about witholding Cost of Attendence Funds)

I'd think that fines as such might seriously undermine the argument that distinguishes players from employees. I'm guessing you'd have to have it clearly written in beforehand, like a gpa requirement for maintaining a scholarship.

I'm a little surprised that every coach in the nation hasn't been specifically instructed to respond to any question along those lines with "You'd have to talk to the university financial office about that."

InsaneMustang

1st Team
Jul 30, 2001
http://espn.go.com/blog/acc/post/_/id/84676/virginia-tech-backtracks-on-plan-to-fine-players

https://twitter.com/schadjoe (re: Tuberville comments about witholding Cost of Attendence Funds)

I'd think that fines as such might seriously undermine the argument that distinguishes players from employees. I'm guessing you'd have to have it clearly written in beforehand, like a gpa requirement for maintaining a scholarship.

I'm a little surprised that every coach in the nation hasn't been specifically instructed to respond to any question along those lines with "You'd have to talk to the university financial office about that."
I'm not so sure I agree with all of this. I do, however, think that if a player leaves early for the draft, or if he is kicked off the team, he should have to repay the money received.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
This is the same a partially removing a scholarship, IMO, and should not be allowed. Either it is a part of their deal, or it is not. Taking money away from a kid that cannot afford to attend your school is a poor decision that will negatively impact him in every way. There are better ways to punish them.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I'm not so sure I agree with all of this. I do, however, think that if a player leaves early for the draft, or if he is kicked off the team, he should have to repay the money received.
If a player is kicked off a team, does he remain on scholarship for the rest of the year?

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
This does open up a whole can of worms. The implications are complicated. I do think it's logical to say the more you give an athlete, the more you can ask of him, but... there's a lot of complexity.

I'd really prefer it just go back to 1 year scholarships. That brought a degree of accountability to the player that doesn't really exist now.

stlimprov

1st Team
Nov 9, 2005
Saint Louis, MO
Again, I'm mostly surprised that, with an issue that has as much potential complexity and impact as this, that coaches haven't been given a gag order on this one.

Although I'm going to go out on a limb and say that a few of those emails went out in the last 24 hours. :)

InsaneMustang

1st Team
Jul 30, 2001
If a player is kicked off a team, does he remain on scholarship for the rest of the year?
My understanding is that the scholarship remains in place for the rest of that semester.

If a student leaves school, does she normally have to repay a scholarship?
No, but I'm saying in both cases I feel like they should. That scholarship money could go to someone who can't afford college and truly needs it. If you're going to take advantage of it, and then just drop it, then you should have to repay it.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
This does open up a whole can of worms. The implications are complicated. I do think it's logical to say the more you give an athlete, the more you can ask of him, but... there's a lot of complexity.

I'd really prefer it just go back to 1 year scholarships. That brought a degree of accountability to the player that doesn't really exist now.
Are we giving four year deals now?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stlimprov

1st Team
Nov 9, 2005
Saint Louis, MO
My understanding is that the scholarship remains in place for the rest of that semester.

No, but I'm saying in both cases I feel like they should. That scholarship money could go to someone who can't afford college and truly needs it. If you're going to take advantage of it, and then just drop it, then you should have to repay it.
If you're going to do that, I'd guess that you'd set it up as a forgivable loan; upon graduation (within a specified time period) the loan is forgiven.

In any case, I think the conditions have to be objective and articulated well beforehand. I don't see how you could have coaches having discretion to fine and not running into a whole mess of trouble.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Are we giving four year deals now?
Yes, Alabama now is from what I understand.

Someone else like like RTR might have a clearer picture on this, but from what I understand there was a rule change that allowed for four year scholarships. Saban stated his case against this, but at that point it was done. Once the SEC's programs started implementing it Alabama had to follow suit. You can't really recruit against four year scholarship offers with one year scholarship offers...

InsaneMustang

1st Team
Jul 30, 2001
Yes, Alabama now is from what I understand.

Someone else like like RTR might have a clearer picture on this, but from what I understand there was a rule change that allowed for four year scholarships. Saban stated his case against this, but at that point it was done. Once the SEC's programs started implementing it Alabama had to follow suit. You can't really recruit against four year scholarship offers with one year scholarship offers...
Technically this is true. Each school reserves the right to issue whatever length of scholarship they want. But (since mentioned above) Saban is really against this - and the recruiting numbers rule doesn't help the SEC - Alabama issues 2, 3 and 4 year scholarships. And (as stated) it's hard to compete by offering a single year scholarship when other schools are offering 4 year scholarship. But, when you're the Alabama's, the Ohio State's, the Florida State's, etc., it's not that difficult to get a kid to come on a 2 or 3 year scholarship.

That being said, more and more kids are going to college thinking they'll only need a two year scholarship because they're going to go pro no doubt... laugh.

I realize this is from last year, but it'll give you an idea about how each of the "big schools" does their scholarship breakouts. Note that Ohio State (in 2014) gave out the most "multiyear" scholarships.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...4-year-scholarships-to-athletes-but-many-dont

Today, some schools promote that they give multiyear scholarships and clearly view the option as a recruiting benefit. Other schools stress there is no difference between a one-year scholarship and a multiyear scholarship since the same terms apply regarding how the financial aid agreement can be non-renewed.
The devil is in the details on what the lengths of scholarships actually mean. How long is the scholarship for? What reasons allow the school to cancel the multiyear scholarship? What's the process for cancellation? What are the differences between a one-year and multiyear scholarship?
And as a note: At some point we will be hearing about certain 'groups' getting scholarship privileges. It's up to a coach/staff to offer a multiyear scholarship, so naturally there'll be some biased, but at someone point some kid is going to get ....ed and cry wolf. Just wait.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Virginia Tech football players apparently assessed fines for missing meals, class, study hall

Virginia Tech athletic director Whit Babcock said he “had no idea” that football players were being assessed fines for violations like missing team meetings or being late for meals, and says the practice has been “discontinued” effective immediately.

Images from a television monitor outside the Hokies' players' lounge on Wednesday night listed what appeared to be a fine structure and named players who had already been assessed fines.

Fines ran as low as $10 for missing a team breakfast or tutoring session, to $45 for missing a class, up to $100 for drawing a personal foul penalty.

A second screen included fines for improper equipment, listing the first offense as a $100 fine and the loss of four tickets to the next game, and going up to $1,600 for the seventh offense and being left off of a possible bowl trip for an eighth offense.

A third screen listed players who apparently had already been assessed fines, with their name, offense, date it occurred and amount fined.

Last edited:

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
This will not be widespread because of the negative recruiting implications..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I think they have good intentions with the fines to control behavior, but I think it could lead to problems, especially if some of the fines are for things that are open to interpretation, like "slacking off in practice". A program having financial issues might tell the coach to start ramping up the fines.

I find it interesting Beamer did this without consulting with the athletic director.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.