GA News: OnlineAthens - Mark Richt's 'gut feeling' more than one UGA QB plays in opener

TideFans Reporter

Click for Real-Time Bama News
Sep 21, 2006
From OnlineAthens.com
August 27th, 2015 07:49 PM

Georgia is likely to head into its season opener prepared to play two quarterbacks in the game, coach Mark Richt said Thursday night after the team’s third and final scrimmage.
Brice Ramsey and Greyson Lambert have been the top two this week at the position and the competition may continue on in the Sept. 5 game against Louisiana-Monroe.
“My gut is we’ll probably keep going in some way, shape or form,” Richt said. “It may roll into the game. There may be more than one guy playing. If it was today, my feeling is I’d probably play more than one guy.”
Ramsey, a redshirt sophomore, and Lambert, the graduate transfer from Virginia, each worked with the first team offense for the "Georgia" team in the scrimmage. Ramsey played in the third quarter and Lambert in the fourth.
Faton Bauta, who also has been competing for the job, worked on a team made up or second and third teamers that was supposed to be “Louisiana-Monroe” in a practice game format that included pregame warm-ups like on game day. Bauta got a little more than a quarter of work before giving way to walk-ons Sam Vaughn and Nick Robinson.
Safety Dominck Sanders returned an interception for a touchdown against the second-team offense.
Richt said going with Ramsey and Lambert with the ones Thursday isn’t an indication that they would be the first two to be called on in a real game.
“No, no,” he said. “Matter of fact, everybody is getting evaluated. Our twos have gotten to the point where they function pretty good. Even the twos versus the one defense, they had success. Faton moved them. They did legitimately score a touchdown, had a long touchdown drive with Faton leading it.”
For what it’s worth, the Georgia team lost 31-24 after failing to tie the game on a couple of drives late.
Louisiana-Monroe was given a 24-0 halftime lead. Richt said the offense had a turnover on a fumble in the quarter in which Ramsey played. He also said Sony Michel broke off a touchdown run of more than 50 yards for the Georgia team.
Players lips are sealed on the QB race.
“I’m not allowed to comment on the quarterbacks,” inside linebacker Jake Ganus said. “Once a starter is named, I will tell you everything about him.”
Richt said the next step is he’ll evaluate the quarterbacks with offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer, looking at the “body of work,” since the start of preseason and put more weight on what’s happened recently and decide “if it’s time to nail it down or let’s keep going. …I don’t think we’re bent 100 percent that we’re going to name a starter after this thing.”

...READ MORE HERE...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.