Saban's 2015 New Gameplan - We score A LOT, you punt a lot

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
I'd like to congratulate the OP on a very catchy thread title. Whenever I see it, I'm reminded of King Arthur's castle they made that musical about...Camelot.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Wait, so we're going to try to score a lot and keep the other team from scoring? Talk about innovative - I can't believe no one has thought of this before.

I'm curious - if we're running HUNH, does that mean Saban doesn't care about the potential increase in injuries he spoke so much about a couple of years ago? Or was that just an excuse?
We clearly don't "get" it

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
Does this mean we're going to change our philosophy of kicking field goals to scoring touchdowns? Six points is more than three, right? I personally think field goals should be worth three times as much as a touchdown, the ball has to be ten feet off the ground, between the uprights, and the kickers are so far away when they try. I mean all the ball carrier has to do is step over an imaginary line that's fifty yards wide, seems unfair to me. ;)

Nolan

Hall of Fame
Jul 4, 2006
Oahu
We've also decided to start sacking the opposing QB. Sacking > affecting.

It's gonna be a real turn around this year.

Maybe we will start winning more.

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
Wait, so we're going to try to score a lot and keep the other team from scoring? Talk about innovative - I can't believe no one has thought of this before.

I'm curious - if we're running HUNH, does that mean Saban doesn't care about the potential increase in injuries he spoke so much about a couple of years ago? Or was that just an excuse?
I think we are going to run no huddle, but not hurry up. We did it a lot last year. Sims was much more comfortable when in NH

CrimSonami

All-American
Jul 17, 2011
Ardmore, AL; too close to 10erC
With the extra official on the field this year I think we'll see a slow down in the HUNH scheme. I hope we'll escalate using CLK's NH offense we flirted with so much last year as long as the QB can command it like Blake did. With Drake's speed and quickness, Henry's mass along with good tight end and wide out play we should have a broader offensive arsenal. CLK will find ways to distribute the rock to our playmakers. Let's face it, nobody's gonna match Cooper this year. But the surprise element should suffice.

RTR!!!

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
I'll believe it when I see it. Not saying we will never run a hunh series, but I don't think we will change our entire identity. Hunh O's don't win NC's--Balanced O's do. We've already proven that. In the end, a 50/50 mix of run and pass --when executed properly---is still the hardest scheme to defend.

Last edited:

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012

I always viewed it as an excuse that didn't gain any traction so Saban dropped that narrative. The one this past year was the NFL draft advisory grades being made known during sugar bowl preparation even though that's how it works for all the teams..

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
Saban still doesn't like the HUNH, but can see the advantages of not allowing defensive substitutions. Call it hypocritical if you like, it's more of that's where the game is going unless the rules change. As someone pointed out, CNS uses a NH, not really a HUNH. I wouldn't be surprised though to see more tempo. Varying the tempo seems to work for the Patriots, and Bill and Nick think a lot alike.

For the record, I enjoyed the physical, break your will type offensive teams under coach Mac. CLK is s great offensive mind, but was never a HUNH guru. I really don't see changing to a full blown Auburn type HUNH. I See more of what we have done in recent years.

Last edited:

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
I'm going to play semantics, and further your argument by stating you can run a NH offense, to freeze the defense and prevent substitutions, yet still run the same number of plays. CNS would not be a hypocrite, in that scenario.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
I'm going to play semantics, and further your argument by stating you can run a NH offense, to freeze the defense and prevent substitutions, yet still run the same number of plays. CNS would not be a hypocrite, in that scenario.
Good point and we could go fast if and when we wanted to.

RobK

All-SEC
Aug 27, 2004
Holts Summit, MO
knodell.blog-city.com
I'm always amazed and slightly dumbfounded at how the media has blurred the distinctions and sort of jumbled no-huddle, HUNH, and spread offenses into one category.

No huddle does not always mean "hurry up" tempo or spread formations. The early 1990's Buffalo Bills are a prime example. HUNH isn't always run out of a spread. And plenty of spread offenses may frequent use of a huddle and/or don't go with a fast tempo.

BamaInMo1

All-American
Oct 27, 2006
Cumming, GA
I don't think our offense is going to get into hurry up mode. I believe we will go to a lot of nh to keep the defenses from subbing and thus wearing them out even quicker and imposing our will. The biggest advantage, as most all of us on here know, of going nh is simply the threat of snapping the ball while the d is trying to sub. Thus, we either get 5 free yards for too many men on the field or we catch the defense totally out of position and hit them up with big plays and eventually break the will of the other teams defense.

bamafaninOhiO

All-American
May 11, 2010
Dayton, Ohio
I'll believe it when I see it. Not saying we will never run a hunh series, but I don't think we will change our entire identity. Hunh O's don't win NC's--Balanced O's do. We've already proven that. In the end, a 50/50 mix of run and pass --when executed properly---is still the hardest scheme to defend.
Who said we would be unbalanced. You can pass, or run, out of a hurry up or no huddle offense. I believe being balanced is still very much our plan.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
I bumped this old thread from before last season...i thought it was a fun read now that we know how things turned out.

Headed into year two of fighting fire with fire, I think it's impossible for a Bama fan not to be excited about our chances to have another excellent season.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.