Saban's 2015 New Gameplan - We score A LOT, you punt a lot

BAMAfan777

1st Team
Jun 25, 2010
The O lineman spilled the beans this week (finally!)....Bama is going to run a lot of no huddle, put up a ton of yards and points......then lock em down on defense. I think this will be a truly innovative year (building off last year's offensive changes). Yes, there have been teams that have scored a lot of points, but how many with lock down defenses? I think we will also see some very unique, innovative plays on offense. It's going to be a very interesting year.....can't wait for next Saturday.

Roll Tide

BAMAfan777

1st Team
Jun 25, 2010
The net/net is that with high scoring and lock down D......it makes it almost impossible for the other team to win (barring an abundance of offensive turnovers of course).

dvldog

Hall of Fame
Sep 20, 2005
Virginia
I'm surprised he hadn't thought of this sooner. Sounds like a solid plan. [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
The O lineman spilled the beans this week (finally!)....Bama is going to run a lot of no huddle, put up a ton of yards and points......then lock em down on defense. I think this will be a truly innovative year (building off last year's offensive changes). Yes, there have been teams that have scored a lot of points, but how many with lock down defenses? I think we will also see some very unique, innovative plays on offense. It's going to be a very interesting year.....can't wait for next Saturday.

Roll Tide
I noticed that in the press conference also. Was surprised nobody else here was walking about it. Posted this in the other thread:

Anyone notice in CNS press conference today he made the comment that the offense never huddles. CNS said he asked one of the offensive lineman which QB he thought was the best. The offensive lineman responded that it doesn't really matter to them because they don't even see the QB because they never huddle. Just found that tidbit interesting. Could be something could be nothing..

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
I'm surprised he hadn't thought of this sooner. Sounds like a solid plan. [emoji6]

You rascal...:wink:

I've thought Saban was too good of a coach to let a new innovation (hurry-up offense) put him in the has-been category.

It sounds like he has decided if the new rules put him at a disadvantage, then what the heck, exploit the new rules and go for it.
I'm excited to see how it works out this season.

RollinTider1335

All-SEC
Jun 12, 2010
Spring Hill, TN
WELL DADGUMMIT! Everyone knows our gameplan now!! Hahaha

How is this different than any other strategy?? Score more than the other guy!!!!!!

Source and which OL said this??

RTR

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
You rascal...:wink:

I've thought Saban was too good of a coach to let a new innovation (hurry-up offense) put him in the has-been category.

It sounds like he has decided if the new rules put him at a disadvantage, then what the heck, exploit the new rules and go for it.
I'm excited to see how it works out this season.
No, he is listening to me. :biggrin: I have said from the outset, that the quickest way to get rid of the HUNH is for Bama to take it and kick everyone's butt with it. The NCAA might even call a special rules-change session.

FWIW, don't confuse the NH that Bama will use with the barn's HUNH. Both prevent the defense from substituting and that is all Saban wants. He doesn't need all the trickery and illegal crap that goes with the HUNH.

CrimsonMapper

1st Team
Apr 19, 2006
Montgomery, AL
No, he is listening to me. :biggrin: I have said from the outset, that the quickest way to get rid of the HUNH is for Bama to take it and kick everyone's butt with it. The NCAA might even call a special rules-change session.

FWIW, don't confuse the NH that Bama will use with the barn's HUNH. Both prevent the defense from substituting and that is all Saban wants. He doesn't need all the trickery and illegal crap that goes with the HUNH.
You're exactly right. It's not like we are going to stop taking snaps under center or start running zone reads every other play. I'll use an example to illustrate how I think this can help us with the personnel currently on the team.

3rd and 6. Coker, Drake, OJ, and 3 WR in the formation. Coker in shotgun with Drake motioning from backfield to slot. Defense in Nickel. Complete a 10 yard pass to OJ for first down. Offense hurries to line with Coker now under center. Drake single setback and OJ now lined up as traditional TE. Defense cannot substitute and must remain in nickel. At this point, they can run with drake or Coker can back away from center to look for a new call based on defense.

The opposite is also true. We can run off tackle on 1st down, pick up a few yards, line up quickly in a spread look without defense being able to sub. Now we have safeties and/or linebackers covering Drake and OJ. Again, we can snap it quickly or look for a new call based on mismatches the booth and Kiffin may see. If i remember correctly, Kiffin called several touchdowns from the sideline after we lined up last year.

The point is that we don't have to change the offensive philosophy to take advantage of no huddles. With Drake and OJ (and Henry to a lesser extent), we have guys that can be weapons in pro and spread sets. The key, obviously, is execution. We have depth on the defense, but we still can't afford a bunch of 3 and outs that take no time off of the clock.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
And you can always have Morris in at QB .... on third down -- if they don't make it, you can HUNH and put Morris in Punt formation -- and have him punt after a no huddle... and honestly, if he can get 40 yards -- that's a huge opportunity to flip field position.

uaintn

All-American
Aug 2, 2000
franklin, tennessee, usa
Excellent Mapper. And with Henry's ability to pick up blitzes and catch it out of the back field, well, it makes it terribly hard on a defense. Which I am in favor of. Of course, if the defense is playing to its level of capability and we are gaining over 3 yards per carry, I don't actually care if we ever throw the darn thing.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I've been suspecting this for awhile now. I think that the comment about the number of plays was to mark territory. When he got no relief on that (and I don't think he expected it), he began laying the groundwork to make everyone rue the day they ever gave him the idea. Saban has always struck me as the kind of guy who says, "I'm here to play football - but by Gawd, if you wanna have a track meet, I'll match you sprinter for sprinter and my defense will hit your players a whole lot harder than your defensive ones are able to hit mine."

And the beauty is that he's capable of suddenly shifting the whole thing and playing it straight up. I don't think this is a permanent switch, I think it's to take away whatever advantage someone else thinks they may have.

One of my favorite moments was the first plays of the 2009 SECCG, when he came out in Urban Meyer's offense and immediately hit two plays for gains against them. I'm sure Meyer - who is no doubt a great coach - was having a heart attack on the sidelines over that one. :)

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
Exactly..And what's burned my backside is when we ran a true HUNH type offense & Blake or whoever our starter was at that time, we would stop using it & go back to our ground n pound offense, which suited me fine, but, if something is working & putting ungodly yrds & points on the board , please don't stop using that offense..As other's has pointed out, make the NCAA rue the day they allowed the game to slip over to the crap kinda offensive football we have today & make them change it back just so Bama gives other teams a chance to win a NC..LOL

DC Tide

1st Team
Sep 13, 2007
Of course, the team has been using "no huddle" in practice for years under Saban to maximize time

Please don't ruin the narrative by bringing logic into it. This thread was just now getting fun to watch.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
I've been suspecting this for awhile now. I think that the comment about the number of plays was to mark territory. When he got no relief on that (and I don't think he expected it), he began laying the groundwork to make everyone rue the day they ever gave him the idea. Saban has always struck me as the kind of guy who says, "I'm here to play football - but by Gawd, if you wanna have a track meet, I'll match you sprinter for sprinter and my defense will hit your players a whole lot harder than your defensive ones are able to hit mine."

And the beauty is that he's capable of suddenly shifting the whole thing and playing it straight up. I don't think this is a permanent switch, I think it's to take away whatever advantage someone else thinks they may have.

One of my favorite moments was the first plays of the 2009 SECCG, when he came out in Urban Meyer's offense and immediately hit two plays for gains against them. I'm sure Meyer - who is no doubt a great coach - was having a heart attack on the sidelines over that one. :)
This is an excellent point. I think most of us prefer real football, but if the powers that be have clearly decided that they like 65-60 games, I'm glad to know that Coach Saban will change what he needs to change in order to win. I probably won't watch a bunch of 65-60 games, but I still hope to hear about Bama winning on Sunday mornings.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Apologies for the logic bomb on a perfectly fine hype train.

Get hyped y'all. Up tempo, no huddle all the way! :p

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Wait, so we're going to try to score a lot and keep the other team from scoring? Talk about innovative - I can't believe no one has thought of this before.

I'm curious - if we're running HUNH, does that mean Saban doesn't care about the potential increase in injuries he spoke so much about a couple of years ago? Or was that just an excuse?

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.