Governor Bentley's wife files for divorce

Gr8hope

All-American
Nov 10, 2010
As someone who will be married 40 years next month, I find many of the posts on this thread very sad and pessimistic. Read several opinions on what it takes to stay married and do so with joy. I'll give mine. It takes true commitment from both spouses. There will be bad times, with anger and even lost respect but as long as there is commitment love will find the way back to what brought you together. You cannot control the actions of your partner but you can control how you react to disappointments. I realize not everything can be repaired and am sad to say I understand and agree with Mrs. Bentley's decision.

My best advice is mean it when you say "I do. "Faith in God and his love during the hard times helps tremendously.

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
As someone who will be married 40 years next month, I find many of the posts on this thread very sad and pessimistic. Read several opinions on what it takes to stay married and do so with joy. I'll give mine. It takes true commitment from both spouses. There will be bad times, with anger and even lost respect but as long as there is commitment love will find the way back to what brought you together. You cannot control the actions of your partner but you can control how you react to disappointments. I realize not everything can be repaired and am sad to say I understand and agree with Mrs. Bentley's decision.

My best advice is mean it when you say "I do. "Faith in God and his love during the hard times helps tremendously.
I have the same sentiment. I've been in a bad marriage and a good one. I won't speak for my wife, but we've struggled together through some hard times and share a lot of common interests. I love her more now than when we got married almost 20 years ago.

I used to think my parents just tolerated each other. When my dad got sick with cancer, it was easy to tell that even though they bickered a lot, there was a lot of love there.

Life's not going to be easy. It's just that much harder if you're cynical. Having a positive outlook doesn't mean you're avoiding the truth.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
My question, as someone who's not there yet, is: At this point in your life, how do you let this happen? Your 72 and the (alleged) mistress is 43, for goodness sake. Not only will the family court judge likely agree to his shirt and everything else being taken in the settlement agreement but he's opening himself up to blackmail, strained relations with his own children and other family members, possible litigation from the state authorities, and even a potential lawsuit from the mistress down the road(sexual harrassment). Aside from it being morally wrong, I see a WHOLE lot of downside for just a few seconds of sensual pleasure in this case.

Last edited:

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
My question, as someone who's not there yet, is: At this point in your life, how do you let this happen? Your 72 and the (alleged) mistress is 43, for goodness sake. Not only will the family court judge likely agree to his shirt and everything else being taken in the settlement agreement but he's opening himself up to blackmail, strained relations with his own children and other family members, possible litigation from the state authorities, and even a potential lawsuit from the mistress down the road(sexual harrassment). Aside from it being morally wrong, I see a WHOLE lot of downside for just a few seconds of sensual pleasure in this case.
In this case, there appears to be several "few seconds of sensual pleasure."

bamabelle1991

All-American
Jan 1, 2009
South Alabama
Legitimate question. I think Gov. Bentley is a narcissist. He also has shown himself to be a bully at times. I think he just thought he would NEVER get caught.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
I do believe that some people's brain is located in the wrong part of their anatomy.

Gr8hope

All-American
Nov 10, 2010
Legitimate question. I think Gov. Bentley is a narcissist. He also has shown himself to be a bully at times. I think he just thought he would NEVER get caught.
I agree. If he didn't think he would be caught he thought his wife would never leave him.

Last edited:

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I'm not 72 yet and I'm not a psychologist but I am forty-five and about to finally be 'out there' in the dating pool for the first time since the late 1980s. There's a lot that goes into this. For starters, some guys never tire of the thrill of the chase. It's not the conquest you can't get out of your room fast enough the next morning, it's the pursuit of the chase. I think it was the movie "Moonstruck" where Olympia Dukakis theorized it's because men fear death. I think part of it is the idea that if you're old you're now celibate so - if you have sex you're not old. Someone young enough to be your - well - GRAND daughter (29 years is certainly possible if two generations of 14-year olds had a kid, which is hardly uncommon in the South).

Trump's wife is about that age isn't she?

There's also the fact that the 43-year old gal here pretty much has nothing to lose, not even a reputation.

In my situation, I've already had a mid-40s girl offer to well, you know - and she hasn't even met me. We've corresponded a tad (and that literally freaked ME out, just the opposite of how a young guy usually acts). Why? Well because she doesn't want the last time she fooled around to be - the last time she fooled around. Hey, I don't either (10/23/11 for those wondering why I'm so cranky), but I darn sure ain't just rolling in the hay with anyone just to say I did it, either. (The bizarre thing it seems to me is that now in the mid-40s it's the WOMEN pushing hard to fool around and the guy wanting to take things a little slower).

Plus, there's something sort of 'self-fulfilling' about a guy who has a girl interested in him who is a fraction of his age (I'm obviously excluding the Jared Fogle's of the world). To say nothing of some certain anatomical points that happen as people age.......

So far, I've asked out three gals. The first one was single and pregnant and the second one was/is gay. The third one said yes, as soon as my situation is resolved (and she's my age and never been married, which is its own problem). But back to Bentley.

I think we could examine this ten ways to Tuesday and never know for total certainty why. There's a lot of psychology to it, maybe a little perversion, maybe a lot of insecurity. I'm just really sad. But I'll tell you what'll flip the apple cart - a year ago as my divorce began, I was talking to my Alabama-born mother about it and she said the most shocking thing I ever heard her say - "I should have left your father 25 years ago." They've been married 46 years and she's still regretting she didn't leave.

A lot of folks married fifty years are just existing, they're not 'really' happy. And not to take up for Bentley in any way but I would sorta wonder if the reason he was with a 43-year old was that he and his wife hadn't been together in awhile. I'm told my wife's grandparents didn't consummate the last 30 years of their marriage, meaning they stopped in their mid-40s. I further read that happens to about 1/5 of couples.

A man is still a man regardless of his age.

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL
Mrs. Reb and I both have previous marriages in which the primary cause of divorce was infidelity by our spouses. As such, we have both agreed that infidelity by one of us would certainly also cause our immediate separation and ultimate divorce.
So knowing that, we both stay faithful to each other.
In just a few weeks, it will be 27 years.....:smile:

Catfish

Hall of Fame
Oct 11, 2005
Birmingham
Mason issued a written statement denouncing Collier's charges and making one of her own: namely that she is the victim of gender bias. Mason is the first woman to rank so high in a governor's administration.

"There is no way that a man would have said what he (Collier) said today about another man," said Mason. "His comments were clear, demonstrated gender bias. Since 2010 I have proudly served as Gov. Robert Bentley's campaign press secretary, communications director, advisor, campaign communications director and now senior political advisor. It is an honor to serve our governor and the people of this state."
Am I missing something? Didn't Collier say basically the same thing about Governor Bentley? That he was having an affair with a coworker?

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Am I missing something? Didn't Collier say basically the same thing about Governor Bentley? That he was having an affair with a coworker?
Believe her comments were solely about Collier's comments about her being de facto governor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gr8hope

All-American
Nov 10, 2010
A man who cannot control his actions in his private life has no business in government over others.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Believe her comments were solely about Collier's comments about her being de facto governor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I bet if Bentley had been having an affair with a man and Collier believed the boyfriend was pulling the strings, Collier would have made the same comment.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.