Governor Bentley's wife files for divorce

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
This was a poorly kept secret in Tuscaloosa because I've known about the reasons for the divorce seemingly since it happened...

I'm guessing the lack of anyone saying things on record until now (with the divorce proceedings being sealed) kept the media from taking it to him. They all knew, you could tell with some of the op-eds over the sealed records that they were basically telegraphing to the audience "we know what is in those court documents and you'll want to know what is in it too."

Also, it is pretty well known that this bit of incriminating details has weakened his power as governor significantly over the last year. I don't know if they can impeach him out of office nor do I think the legislature wants to either. Nothing like an executive with no public mandate for a legislative branch.

Last edited:

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I don't know all the details of what he did or if it would be an impeachable offense or what the impeachment process is.

But consider this. If they do remove him from office, they can take the high road and say they took out one of their own, unlike the GOP impeaching Clinton. Plus, our Lt. Governor is a woman, so even more points for them. The only down side is it puts an incumbent in 2018 for whoever is planning to run for governor that year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AV8N

1st Team
Sep 18, 2013
Remember, she's a press secretary. She wants you to look past the main subject and find another issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
She's not a press secretary any more. She's a political advisor, and not even on the state payroll. But she is always by his side (or in front, according to the voicemails). Sort of like Valerie Jarrett is to Obama, but with some additional hanky-panky.

To me, it's actually more pathetic if it was just dirty talk because then she was just jerking his chain (and nothing else) and letting him have the fantasy in order to wield influence. I mean, some women may easily confuse the governor with Joe Mangianello, but to most he's probably not exactly the image they expect to see on the cover of romance novels. I would feel bad for her husband, but he's apparently got a cushy job in the "faith-based initiatives" office and maybe they have some sort of understanding.

For all I know, Collier is guilty of whatever financial irregularities he was accused of. But his side of the story seems quite believable.

bama_wayne1

All-American
Jun 15, 2007
I'm not 72 yet and I'm not a psychologist but I am forty-five and about to finally be 'out there' in the dating pool for the first time since the late 1980s. There's a lot that goes into this. For starters, some guys never tire of the thrill of the chase. It's not the conquest you can't get out of your room fast enough the next morning, it's the pursuit of the chase. I think it was the movie "Moonstruck" where Olympia Dukakis theorized it's because men fear death. I think part of it is the idea that if you're old you're now celibate so - if you have sex you're not old. Someone young enough to be your - well - GRAND daughter (29 years is certainly possible if two generations of 14-year olds had a kid, which is hardly uncommon in the South).

Trump's wife is about that age isn't she?

There's also the fact that the 43-year old gal here pretty much has nothing to lose, not even a reputation.

In my situation, I've already had a mid-40s girl offer to well, you know - and she hasn't even met me. We've corresponded a tad (and that literally freaked ME out, just the opposite of how a young guy usually acts). Why? Well because she doesn't want the last time she fooled around to be - the last time she fooled around. Hey, I don't either (10/23/11 for those wondering why I'm so cranky), but I darn sure ain't just rolling in the hay with anyone just to say I did it, either. (The bizarre thing it seems to me is that now in the mid-40s it's the WOMEN pushing hard to fool around and the guy wanting to take things a little slower).

Plus, there's something sort of 'self-fulfilling' about a guy who has a girl interested in him who is a fraction of his age (I'm obviously excluding the Jared Fogle's of the world). To say nothing of some certain anatomical points that happen as people age.......

So far, I've asked out three gals. The first one was single and pregnant and the second one was/is gay. The third one said yes, as soon as my situation is resolved (and she's my age and never been married, which is its own problem). But back to Bentley.

I think we could examine this ten ways to Tuesday and never know for total certainty why. There's a lot of psychology to it, maybe a little perversion, maybe a lot of insecurity. I'm just really sad. But I'll tell you what'll flip the apple cart - a year ago as my divorce began, I was talking to my Alabama-born mother about it and she said the most shocking thing I ever heard her say - "I should have left your father 25 years ago." They've been married 46 years and she's still regretting she didn't leave.

A lot of folks married fifty years are just existing, they're not 'really' happy. And not to take up for Bentley in any way but I would sorta wonder if the reason he was with a 43-year old was that he and his wife hadn't been together in awhile. I'm told my wife's grandparents didn't consummate the last 30 years of their marriage, meaning they stopped in their mid-40s. I further read that happens to about 1/5 of couples.

A man is still a man regardless of his age.
My marriage is a commitment of the two of us with a Holy God. If I fooled around I would be letting them both down. I'm 56 which is on old guy I guess but I can still tell you that the worst sight I've ever experienced is seeing my wife cry. She is more important to me than any other except God. Some days we love each other spontaneously others we love each other intentionally. In other words, all marriages have bad times but if you can't keep the love that made you ask her to marry you fresh every day you need to work harder at it. I don't see how a man could do anything unfaithful if he remembers that feeling or with whom he made the commitment. Just my opinion....

Last edited:

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
She's not a press secretary any more. She's a political advisor, and not even on the state payroll. But she is always by his side (or in front, according to the voicemails). Sort of like Valerie Jarrett is to Obama, but with some additional hanky-panky.
She's currently a political advisor but started working for his campaign in 2010 as press secretary and became his communications director before stepping away in 2013 to work on his campaign again as press secretary.

For all I know, Collier is guilty of whatever financial irregularities he was accused of. But his side of the story seems quite believable.
Collier said he didn't even know he was terminated until he saw it on social media and his relationship with the governor did not go downhill until he signed an affidavit for the AG's office, which Bentley told him not to do.

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL
My marriage is a commitment of the two of us with a Holy God. If I fooled around I would be letting them both down. I'm 56 which is on old guy I guess but I can still tell you that the worst sight I've ever experienced is seeing my wife cry. She is more important to me than any other except God. Some days we love each other spontaneously others we love each other intentionally. In other words, all marriages have bad times but if you can't keep the love that made you ask her to marry you fresh every day you need to work harder at it. I don't see how a man could do anything unfaithful if he remembers that feeling or with whom he made the commitment. Just my opinion....
Great post. I agree 100%

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
Impeachment might very well be on the table, especially if state assets or funds were used to facilitate the affair. Saw a tweet yesterday that some members of the Alabama senate are trying to convince Bentley to resign. Either way, I see this ending very badly for him. Giving up your golden years surrounded by your grandchildren, wife, and other family altogether with you in your living room is not a price that I would ever want to pay for getting a little middle aged piece on the side. On top of that, who really thinks this chick will want to be with him once he is out of the governor's mansion, especially after he's had his clock cleaned in divorce court?

Catfish

Hall of Fame
Oct 11, 2005
Birmingham

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Was actually wondering about some of this earlier and then saw this article:

Rebekah Caldwell Mason, Gov. Robert Bentley's chief aide, is not a state employee

Unlike other advisors, however, Mason is not a state employee and is not required to file an ethics disclosure form. Mason exited the state payroll in 2013, when she left her job as the governor's communications director to become a spokesperson for the Bentley reelection campaign. It was during this time she formed RCM Communications, a political consulting and advising service registered to her home address in Tuscaloosa.

The committee to reelect Bentley paid Mason's firm $426,978 for consulting and polling work during the 2014 election cycle. Mason is listed as RCM's only officer and the company has no listed phone number, website or Facebook page.

RCM did not do work for any other candidates in the 2014 election, according to financial disclosure forms filed with the Secretary of State

After Bentley's victory in 2014, Mason moved into the role of Senior Political Advisor, where she spends time in the Legislature and traveling with the governor, according to state flight logs. The most recent logs – which cover October to December 2015 – show she accompanied the governor on trip to Eva, Jacksonville, Decatur, Haleyville, Mobile, two trips to Gulf Shores, Birmingham, Las Vegas, Fort Payne and Andalusia.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
I don't see how he stays in office now that this is out and in the mainstream. He's lost all moral authority. The main question at this point, as I see it, is who walks into his office and tells him it's over?

Catfish

Hall of Fame
Oct 11, 2005
Birmingham
I don't see how he stays in office now that this is out and in the mainstream. He's lost all moral authority. The main question at this point, as I see it, is who walks into his office and tells him it's over?
Now that the gravy train is coming to an end, I doubt it's going to be Becky.

AV8N

1st Team
Sep 18, 2013
So, Collier was fired for something he didn't do and replaced by the guy who found the incriminating texts but now claims he never saw. Things aren't looking good for the Governor.
Stabler was "executive security" before he took over the ALEA in Collier's absence? Sounds like the kind of guy who would know if the boss had a mistress, and would be expected to keep quiet about it.

It's like a weird soap opera. But if he can find that much fraud waste and abuse in two days that auditors missed, maybe he should be auditing.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas

Since I got married, for the "only" time, at 56.................I'm guessing I won't have Bentley's problem. That is if you use the "well, it was time for a change of pace" excuse.

Anyway, enough snark......

I hope the only time I make Mrs. Cuda cry is the day I am no longer alive.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.