Governor Bentley's wife files for divorce

bamabelle1991

All-American
Jan 1, 2009
South Alabama
Yep. She is listed in that article.

ETA: Good grief, the number of times they fuel up that State jet is ridiculous. No wonder our state is so poor.

Last edited:

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
Wait... The mistress is listed in the article?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
One of these I guess:

The governor and First Lady most often travel with only security personnel, though the records show they are sometimes joined by Assistant to the First Lady Collier Tynes. If the First Lady isn't onboard, the governor's most frequent passengers include members of his staff: Aide-de-Camp Jake Jacobs; Press Secretary Yasamie August; Communications Director Jennifer Ardis; photographer Jamie Martin; Senior Political Advisor Rebekah Mason; Digital Media Coordinator Daniel Sparkman; and Director of Local Government Affairs Zach Lee.

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
In today's filing, Dianne Bentley asks for the governor to pay for all debts the couple incurred during the marriage, as well as her attorney fees. She also seeks sole ownership of all property they acquired during their marriage.
I hope my wife doesn't see this.:eek:

bamabelle1991

All-American
Jan 1, 2009
South Alabama
Wait... The mistress is listed in the article?

Yes.

Would have to be. Just odd he would fly to Tuscaloosa to meet with a staffer that works in Montgomery.

Was told he would use the helicopter.

Helicopter, jet, still an enormous waste of taxpayer money. Not sure this particular staffer lived in Montgomery full time. ;)

ETA: Also wouldn't expect much sadness at this point. The Gov. and Mrs. Bentley have been separated since January, I believe. Based on the reason for the divorce, I wouldn't be sad, I would be mad. But, that's just me.

Last edited:

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Legal Schnauzer: Alabama Gov. Robert Bentley engaged in extramarital affair that prompted First Lady's divorce complaint

Alabama Governor Robert Bentley engaged in an extramarital affair with his former communications director, leading First Lady Dianne Bentley to file for divorce last Friday after 50 years of marriage, sources tell Legal Schnauzer.

Rebekah Caldwell Mason, a married mother of three from Bentley's home base of Tuscaloosa, was the governor's mistress in an affair that sources say raises a number of possible legal issues--including use of the state jet and a state trooper's services for personal reasons that had nothing to do with Bentley's official role.

According to Dianne Bentley's divorce complaint, the couple separated in January 2015 because of a "complete incompatibility of temperament" and a "conflict of personalities which destroys the legitimate aims of matrimony." In fact, sources say, Gov. Bentley's affair with Mason destroyed the matrimonial bonds.

The 72-year-old Bentley, a Republican serving in his second term, repeatedly has touted his Christian faith and conservative "family values" to attract voters. He long has served as a deacon at First Baptist Church of Tuscaloosa. Bentley made national headlines in 2011 when, shortly after his inauguration, he said, ""Anybody here today who has not accepted Jesus Christ as their savior, I'm telling you, you're not my brother and you're not my sister. And I want to be your brother."

Rebekah Caldwell Mason, sources say, quickly became more than just a communications director to Bentley. Their affair became so widely known that it diluted any moral authority the governor might have had. "He's been impotent as governor for at least the last six months," one source told Legal Schnauzer. "People have been going into his office and saying, 'Do what I want or I'm going to play the girlfriend card.' People have been running all over him."

Who is Rebekah Caldwell Mason? She first came to public attention while serving as press secretary for Bentley's 2010 campaign. When Bentley rose from relative obscurity to win the GOP primary and defeat Democrat Ron Sparks in the general election, Mason became the new governor's communications director.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
50 years just thrown away, wow.
I met one of my "60 Minutes" co-stars up in Boston in 2014. Her divorce is final now, but she was going through it at the time (as I still am). She made a comment about how many couples you have that actually ARE married 50 years and yes, they get that little dance at the golden anniversary party and yet basically just seem to have put up with each other because there's nowhere else to go.

When I informed my folks I was filing last year, my Mom absolutely shocked me by saying she should have left my Dad 25 years ago. I had no idea how to react to that one. They've been married 46 and are both retired and travel together. They also have absolutely no shared interests at all other than travel. She goes with him just to be included. He's into the stock market and checking on his properties. They've got a truckload of money because both grew up poor and he never lets her spend anything and she's used to it.

On the other hand, they never fight so.......

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Looks like Lt. Governor Kay Ivey is preparing to take office in case the Governor decides to step down. Link

With that atmosphere of uncertainty in mind, State House insiders told Yellowhammer the Lt. Governor is simply doing her job by preparing for a seamless transition, should the need ever arise.

“No one really knows what’s going on across the street (in the Capitol), but it would be dereliction of duty if the Lt. Governor’s office wasn’t making sure they are prepared,” said one longtime Montgomery politico, one of numerous insiders who would only discuss the sensitive issue on condition of anonymity. “The conversations I have been privy to have centered on filling out a staff and cabinet — continuity of government stuff. I’d assume some of the agency heads would stay in place, but other slots may need to be filled quickly.”

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
I'll never figure out how relationships are supposed to work but I do know that respect has to be the cornerstone of a good one....it doesn't hurt to love the other person as well.....but respect comes before love, IMHO.

Respect cannot just be given.....it has to be earned.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Marriage on the rocks, First Lady Dianne Bentley almost skipped Governor's inauguration, sources say

From the outside looking in, the Jan. 19 inauguration of Gov. Robert Bentley looked much like the one that had taken place four years before. There was food, bands, parades and Bentley's swearing in for his second term as governor with his wife, Dianne, looking on.

But behind the scenes, those close to the situation said the ongoing domestic disputes between the Bentleys made the First Lady's appearance uncertain up until almost the day of the event.

"She (Dianne Bentley) wasn't going to come to the inauguration and it was touch and go right until the end," a longtime Montgomery resident said. "She is basically a shy person and has never wanted to be in the spotlight. In the end, I think she just thought it was best for the state."

State representative calls for investigation into Gov. Bentley's spending

A state representative has asked the Alabama Attorney General's Office to look into allegations that Gov. Robert Bentley used state funds to cover up actions that led to First Lady Dianne Bentley filing for divorce.

Rep. Allen Farley, R-McCalla, filed paperwork at the Attorney General's Office Tuesday afternoon requesting the investigation.

The Attorney General's Office confirmed in a statement they received a letter from Farley, and they were reviewing it.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.