Kiffin--On The Field Or In The Pressbox?

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
Anybody heard anything? Seems to me, if we are indeed running a no huddle scheme that he'd probably need to be on the sideline so he can signal in the plays. He has said though, that he prefers to be in the press box because he can see the entire field better. Any scoop on this? sip

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
Anybody heard anything? Seems to me, if we are indeed running a no huddle scheme that he'd probably need to be on the sideline so he can signal in the plays. He has said though, that he prefers to be in the press box because he can see the entire field better. Any scoop on this? sip
Although he likes the press box much better, it was really effective to have him on the sidelines this past year. I'm torn on which I'd prefer.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
Although he likes the press box much better, it was really effective to have him on the sidelines this past year. I'm torn on which I'd prefer.

somebody mentioned that we might be using the cards on the sideline(which my old fashioned self doesn't care for), but if we do, that would allow him, from the press box, to communicate the play to the coaches/players holding the cards, on their headsets, and they could then signal the play in to the players.

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
somebody mentioned that we might be using the cards on the sideline(which my old fashioned self doesn't care for), but if we do, that would allow him, from the press box, to communicate the play to the coaches/players holding the cards, on their headsets, and they could then signal the play in to the players.
Yeah, it frees him up to move to the sidelines. What I'll miss is the one on one he gets with the QB between series. I know he can talk to him from the press box, but I've always felt being right there is so much better.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Yeah, it frees him up to move to the sidelines. What I'll miss is the one on one he gets with the QB between series. I know he can talk to him from the press box, but I've always felt being right there is so much better.

This is exactly the reason CNS wanted him on the sideline last season, as a QB coach. That outweighed the advantage of having him upstairs. Given our QB situation, I'd be surprised if that weren't true again this year...

CrimsonPassion

1st Team
Jun 6, 2009
Attalla, AL
I also say keep him on the sidelines. Many times last year, Sims would have a worried look on his face and you could see Kiffin calling him over to settle him down and calm the nerves. I believe that face-to-face interaction helped him tremendously. Like CrimSonami said, leave it alone if it isn't broken. RTR!

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
This is exactly the reason CNS wanted him on the sideline last season, as a QB coach. That outweighed the advantage of having him upstairs. Given our QB situation, I'd be surprised if that weren't true again this year...
I would love it. You can always have eyes in the box, but you can't replace the coaching on the sidelines.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Considering last years results I'd say sideline. Has much more command and control of personnel. And I'm not torn. Leave him there.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

RTR!!!
My thoughts exactly.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
I bet, given last year's success at being on the field, plus having another new qb to break in...if asked again now, Kiffin might prefer to be hands-on, on the field as opposed to up in the box himself.

bamablood6

1st Team
Mar 27, 2006
I liked watching Coach and Coach Kiffin on the sidelines together. It let you see how Coach is involved with the offense. He has always been, you just could not tell on the headset. His interactions with Kiffin and Smart is interesting, but I like it when he gets ....ed at Bobby Williams and special teams. Those looks are priceless. Bobby just stands there and stares off in space......comical.

Coach must really love Bobby, because I would have fired the guy a long time ago. LOL

B4Tid

Sep 4, 2006
I don't care where he is as long as we don't get penalized running no huddle and not getting the play in still or having to use a timeout! :BigA:

capnfrog

All-American
Aug 17, 2002
Pell city, Al. U.S.A.
I seem to remember CLK stating last year that he liked being on the side line versus the press box. I'm sure it will be CNS call but I liked Clk on the sideline so he could be face to face with the QB as well as CNS. Wasn't Coach McElwain in the press box during his tenure at Bama? Have we ever had an OC on the sideline besides CLK last year?

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I seem to remember CLK stating last year that he liked being on the side line versus the press box. I'm sure it will be CNS call but I liked Clk on the sideline so he could be face to face with the QB as well as CNS. Wasn't Coach McElwain in the press box during his tenure at Bama? Have we ever had an OC on the sideline besides CLK last year?
Actually, it was the reverse. CLK said he preferred the box, but CNS said that he wanted him on the sideline with him. It does seem to me that, late in the season, he'd seen the value in being on the sideline. Since Blake was a first year QB, he needed a lot of intra-game coaching. The situation is going to be the same this year, so I expect the arrangement to be the same. The OC and the QB coach are frequently two different people...

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
With a rookie starter again this year, I think he'd be back downstairs.

capnfrog

All-American
Aug 17, 2002
Pell city, Al. U.S.A.
Actually, it was the reverse. CLK said he preferred the box, but CNS said that he wanted him on the sideline with him. It does seem to me that, late in the season, he'd seen the value in being on the sideline. Since Blake was a first year QB, he needed a lot of intra-game coaching. The situation is going to be the same this year, so I expect the arrangement to be the same. The OC and the QB coach are frequently two different people...
I think that maybe it was later into the season that I remember CLK saying he preferred the sidelines.

CrimSonami

All-American
Jul 17, 2011
Ardmore, AL; too close to 10erC
I think that maybe it was later into the season that I remember CLK saying he preferred the sidelines.
CLK did state he had previously preferred coordinating the offense from the box. IIRC he stated switching to the field was definitely the right thing to do although he was initially against it. And that he has learned so much more about coaching from the best in the biz as well as being grateful for the opportunity. That's what drove him to return this season. I hope he sticks around for AWHILE although I was initially against the hire.

RTR!!!

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
It depends on several factors: who is in the press box LK is not? Can he see what LK sees? Who is on the sideline "coaching the QB up" if LK is in the press box?

Interesting dynamics...can you imagine the flack if he went to the PB and we did markedly worse or better at QB?

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.