Seahawks Coach comments on HUNH College Teams

mulletover

All-SEC
Dec 1, 2009
Cullman Alabama
From the article
“Unfortunately, I think we’re doing a huge disservice to offensive football players — other than a receiver — that come out of these spread systems,” Cable said, via Seattle Post-Intelligencer. “The runners aren’t as good. They aren’t taught how to run. The blockers aren’t as good. The quarterbacks aren’t as good. They don’t know how to read coverage and throw progressions. They have no idea.”
I agree with this.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.

briancm

All-SEC
Feb 24, 2003
Sheffield, AL USA
When I watch a team like Auburnt play, it reminds me of watching Sheffield High School football games from 8 years ago. It looks to me like kids football. Just don't like the trickery crap. Looking forward to Saturday. RTR.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
NFL d lineman are too fast to run a Micky mouse hunh offense. Kelly isn't as successful as people try to make him out to be in the nfl. He coaches in a division which has a team that is a winner every other year and a bust on the in between (giants), a team that has ticking time bomb full of blunders for a qb (cowboys), and a team that is cursed (skins). If Kelley was in charge of let's say the jets then buffalo and the pats would most likely give him 4 losses even before the season starts.

The hunh does nothing but make college a wilder experience. The nfl has proven that the cure for it is d linemen and linebackers that know how to use great football mechanics and fundamentals.

exiledNms

Hall of Fame
Aug 2, 2002
Hattiesburg, MS (USA)
One of my all-time favorite games is when we beat Penn State 6-0 back in the 80s. A slobber-knocker featuring two incredible defenses. It so happened that our O got close enough on two occasions for two FGs. SO much fun to watch! Much more so that the flag football that is so popular these days.
("Hi, I'm exiled, & apparently I'm old"... ;) )

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Ain't nothing changing about the college game unless and until it becomes illegal for an OL to block downfield on a pass. Simple as that.

CrimsonPassion

1st Team
Jun 6, 2009
Attalla, AL
One of my all-time favorite games is when we beat Penn State 6-0 back in the 80s. A slobber-knocker featuring two incredible defenses. It so happened that our O got close enough on two occasions for two FGs. SO much fun to watch! Much more so that the flag football that is so popular these days.
("Hi, I'm exiled, & apparently I'm old"... ;) )
How about the 3-0 victory over LSU in the rain in '79? That was a little before my time, but I've seen the replay numerous times. To me, that is REAL football.

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
Basketball on grass hasn't worked in the NFL and it won't - fundamentals still rule the roost.
This and as long as the most valuable position on the field is the QB the pro style offense will rule in the NFL.

Sent from my LG-V410 using Tapatalk

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL
This may be a philosophical question but is the primary responsibility of college coaches to prepare their players for the NFL or is it to win games? I would say it is their job to win games as 90+% of the kids never sniff the NFL. The NFL coaches and players make plenty of money to hone and perfect their skills so it is their responsibility to get their players ready to play. Flame away.

Roll Tide 57

1st Team
Oct 20, 2014
Plant City FL
Look I agree with everything he said but it's strange coming from a coach who's team tries to copy it as much as anybody in the NFL.. I think the offense you run depends on the talent you have or the coach (like Mal-A-Zan ) thinks he's just so much smarter than anyone else.

Its all going full circle again we will see ground & pound with a strong defense come back.

im4uainva

All-SEC
Jul 3, 2011
Charlottesville, Va
This may be a philosophical question but is the primary responsibility of college coaches to prepare their players for the NFL or is it to win games? I would say it is their job to win games as 90+% of the kids never sniff the NFL. The NFL coaches and players make plenty of money to hone and perfect their skills so it is their responsibility to get their players ready to play. Flame away.
I'm not flaming. There is truth there that the Coaches are there to win games. That being said, when it comes to recruiting these players that can win their games, I believe the vast majority of them (players) harbor aspirations of continuing on to the NFL. So, therefore, I believe they desire to be taught, instructed, and prepared on how to achieve their aspirations. Most people here (TideFans), unless I'm mistaken, believe the hunh, is a gimmick offense. I, personally, don't like it. I consider it to be one of (especially in *u's case, at least) those 'HAH, busted you in the mouth while you weren't looking!' type of offenses. I said years ago, when it (hunh) started being used, that, do Bama's opponents, under CNS, really want him to adopt that philosophy? Really? Be careful what you wish for.
But I digress. I believe most of the players that wish to play for top-notch coaches, like CNS, fully expect to be groomed for the next level. Otherwise, they'd go to Kentucky, where Basketball is king.

Roll Tide!

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Can someone refresh me as to what happened the last time Pete Carroll had a game on the line? He went old school and plowed it into the end zone to establish a dynasty, right? I'm sure based on what he said there that that's what he did. Surely.

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL
I'm not flaming. There is truth there that the Coaches are there to win games. That being said, when it comes to recruiting these players that can win their games, I believe the vast majority of them (players) harbor aspirations of continuing on to the NFL. So, therefore, I believe they desire to be taught, instructed, and prepared on how to achieve their aspirations. Most people here (TideFans), unless I'm mistaken, believe the hunh, is a gimmick offense. I, personally, don't like it. I consider it to be one of (especially in *u's case, at least) those 'HAH, busted you in the mouth while you weren't looking!' type of offenses. I said years ago, when it (hunh) started being used, that, do Bama's opponents, under CNS, really want him to adopt that philosophy? Really? Be careful what you wish for.
But I digress. I believe most of the players that wish to play for top-notch coaches, like CNS, fully expect to be groomed for the next level. Otherwise, they'd go to Kentucky, where Basketball is king.

Roll Tide!
Don't take what I posted as me being in favor of the HUNH. My favorite offense is the option offense what we ran under fRan in 2001-2002. I like a pro-style offense when a team has the players to run it. However I don't hate the HUNH as long as the refs enforce the rules and I though they did a much better job last year than in previous years. I do like the diversity of college football and I have no problem with a coach doing what the thinks is necessary (as long as it is legal) to win. One could argue that the wishbone offense in the early 70's was a gimmick that did not prepare kids for the NFL.

bamamc1

Hall of Fame
Oct 24, 2011
Haleyville, AL
Tim Tebow is living proof of what these gimmick style offenses in high school and college do to prepare QB's. NFL people talked about how bad his mechanics were and still are. And, teams are not going to invest millions in a guy and ask him to run the read option. They would get killed.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.