Will Alabama really and truly be a contender this year?

bamacpa

All-American
Jul 19, 2006
If we can stay healthy on the OL and at RB, then I think we should contend. We have a lot of freshmen listed as backup OL on the depth chart, for what that's worth. Depth at tackle is not great.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Let's see...

Alabama was a contender in 2008, 2009, 2011, 2012, 2013, and 2014. I'd say they'll be a contender this year...
They were a legitimate contender in 2010 entering the month of November then promptly had a stinker against a lesser LSU team. Beat LSU and Auburn in 2010, and Alabama would have been playing in the SECCG (likely the national title after whooping SCAR in a rematch). If you use "start of November" as the legitimate point of being a true contender then even 2010 narrowly makes the list. We've basically been in the hunt down the home stretch since year two! Pretty impressive run despite having some opportunities missed.

I think we have a legitimate shot at being a contender....if we can get through the first two months with 1 or less losses then it is just about finishing strong.

Rush

All-American
Jul 5, 2011
Ontario, Canada
I think you're question is legit, esp given our sched, and our relative inexperience on the offensive side of the ball...

D could well be epic, and, sure, we have an embarrassment of riches when it comes to talent on O.

But last year, our 1st year starting QB was surrounded by experienced teammates.

This year, def not the case...

So I'm excited to see what our boys can do...

I luv how Coach insists, at the start of each season, that each year's team has won nothing.

And needs to establish an identity for itself...

I, for one, am pumped, and can't wait...

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I would much rather go into a season with an experienced defense than an experienced offense, and it looks like your defense might be sick this year. Your biggest concern is your schedule. Hard to believe that any team could make it through that gauntlet unscathed.

BamaInMo1

All-American
Oct 27, 2006
Cumming, GA
I think that if whomever the qb is, if he just goes out there and doesn't try to play beyond his capabilities and trusts his team mates to make plays we are going to be a hard team to beat.

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
I love our chances. The schedule is no tougher than usual except and improved UT, but I don't expect them to be too tough. Like last year, the QB situation is the biggest question. If the team stays healthy, they'll be motivated. Ole Miss, Vols, Hogs, and LSU are at home. I always like our chances against Georgia. And then there's the barn ... flip a coin.

We may have to play Georgia or the Vols twice.

64met

All-American
Oct 12, 2007
My heart says yes. My mind says no. I think the road games with an unproven QB might be our hiccup.
Either way, RTR!!!!!!!!

Alabama22

1st Team
Aug 3, 2010
Alabama
Thanks for all the input. I have no doubt that we have a shot every year. This year concerns me a little with the QB situation being up in the air.

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
Hard to be there when you've been the favorite in every game for six straight years. Think about that folks. Roll Damn Tide!!!
The benefit comes from the players really believing they haven't won anything yet when the media isn't inflating their heads.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.