Will Alabama really and truly be a contender this year?

Alabama22

1st Team
Aug 3, 2010
Alabama
I was playing golf with a buddy this weekend who has friends that attend practice regularly. He was told that the team really doesn't look like Bama teams of old. His buddy is really concerned about the QB situation and the play of our defensive backs, still.

I know that's all based on somebody's opinion. We will all find out soon enough about this team. But I'm frankly a little surprised that our QB situation is still not settled. I don't know if that means none of our QB's have really taken charge of the offense, or if it just means they are all playing extremely well, thereby making the decision tougher than normal. Hoping it's the latter.

UAME

All-SEC
Mar 28, 2000
Tuscumbia, AL
I think it is probably a fair assesment to say that Bama doesn't have as large of an advantage as we have enjoyed during some of our years under Saban. Even in those years, you can point to specific games where they margin of error (ie, the difference between win/loss) was razor thin.

It is a very difficult thing to run the table undefeated, and even with the best teams you have to have some bounces go your way while avoiding key injuries - factors that are largely outside of a coach's control.

The good news is:
1) Our weaknesses aren't any more glaring than anyone else in the SEC
2) Undefeated seasons aren't as important in a 4 team playoff system as they were in the BCS (2 team playoff) system.
3) All other factors being fairly equal, football favors a team that can rush the football while stopping the other team's rushing attack. Our team should be better than any other in the country at those two things.
4) We still have Nick Saban on the sidelines.

While we are not as much of a sure bet as we have been, I still like our chances.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I dont' know what he has been seeing at practice, the defense has been looking real good.. they have a chip on shoulder and I expect them to play with redemption. CNS has said on several ocassions that Defense was ahead of offense and he like the progress where they are at. At QB, I can see where you come from with that... I honestly think practics doesn't tell us a lot since we are limited by what we see... We'll see how we'll do but I expect us to be contender this year...

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
As long as Coach Saban & "The Process" is at Bama, and his Boy's are buying into his style of play & "Process", Bama will be in or right out of the NC talk ever single year he's here..Historically..As long as Bama isn't tied down by NCAA Sanctions, Bama will be in the Top 5 most every year, college football teams can only hope for, Coach Saban goes back to the NFL, our team chemistry just isn't in sync all year or the injury bug bites us on the backside..Cause come hell or highwater, Coach Saban will master this HUNH nonsense & will retire with his legacy in tact & college football will have a statue of him for breaking the momentum the HUNH teams had & had no choice but to go back to playing football the way it was meant to be played all cause Coach Saban used the HUNH offense just for spite his last years of coaching just so college football would return full circle for the way Coach Saban ejoys the game..Then & only then will Coach Saban build his true legacy in the game of football & retire a hero to all of college football..LOL..

Hey it sounds good & I have a feeling Coach Saban will make the HUNH offensive lovers that he can not only do it,he can do it better than anyone in the game, and it will be a fun ride too watch my Bama Friends..ROLL TIDE ROLL

Last edited:

RobK

All-SEC
Aug 27, 2004
Holts Summit, MO
knodell.blog-city.com
The difference between our 2015 team going unbeaten or making it into playoffs with one loss as opposed to a "disappointing" 3 or 4 loss season may come down to only a handful of plays. At least in the West division, we are seeing the fruition of the long-term era of SEC dominance up to now...more talent overall through the division top to bottom, better coaching staffs all around, a gusher of new money (TV and otherwise) resulting in first class facilities across the board, etc. The proverbial rising tide has indeed lifted all boats.

But we will certainly contend.

DollarTaker

Suspended
Jul 17, 2015
Destin, FL
I was playing golf with a buddy this weekend who has friends that attend practice regularly. He was told that the team really doesn't look like Bama teams of old. His buddy is really concerned about the QB situation and the play of our defensive backs, still.

I know that's all based on somebody's opinion. We will all find out soon enough about this team. But I'm frankly a little surprised that our QB situation is still not settled. I don't know if that means none of our QB's have really taken charge of the offense, or if it just means they are all playing extremely well, thereby making the decision tougher than normal. Hoping it's the latter.

I think there are way to many buddies and guys on twitter that think they know everything about anything.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

What did he think last year?

I'm pretty sure last year we wouldn't have looked like Bama teams of old. Yet, even with a defense that was not good at times, we still sniffed another NC.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Let's see...

Alabama was a contender in 2008, 2009, 2011, 2012, 2013, and 2014. I'd say they'll be a contender this year...

RammaJamma10

1st Team
Dec 5, 2006
Harvest, AL
With the defense as good as it is, I'd expect the offense to look like it's struggling at times in practice. They play the toughest defense they will see all year in practice ever day

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.