Week One Game Week Thread (Interviews, Press Conferences, Practice Reports)

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
Or Riley Cooper

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I like that comparison. Riley Cooper was an excellent weapon for UF. If we get half that production, along with the other weapons, the offense will be a real handful.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
I'm just ready for the game! Working down here in Pensacola surrounded by all of these Gators, Noles, Auburnites, and 'Canes has my blood pressure pushed to the max.
I hear ya. I grew up in Cantonment, went to Tate high school. Now I'm surrounded by Hokies and Cavaliers...and a startling amount of Steelers fans amid the expected Cowboys and Redskins fans. Saturday can't get here soon enough! ROLL TIDE.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Paul Chryst on the B1G coaches' teleconference:

Paul Chryst asked whether Ohio State's win over Alabama helps Wisconsin: "I think it does help your preparation in assessing the opponent."

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

Paul Chryst asked whether Ohio State's win over Alabama helps Wisconsin: "I think it does help your preparation in assessing the opponent."
But then you look in the mirror and realize that team beat you 59-0 and you realize you are in trouble to play a team that is equal/better than OSU in talent.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al

How does it help? We did this to ourselves... Coaches and players arent going to make same mistake.. If I were them, I would be like" I better not try this...

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Think about this... Morris got tons of love last week while Bateman got the most passing attempts in the scrimmage. Now the talk is about how fast and athletic Bateman is and he's listed second. Just a theory but I'm thinking Coker starts and gets through the high emotional first quarter then we see Bateman come in. Fast/Athletic means Sims 2.0. Dust off the game plans from last year, rinse, repeat.
Bateman may indeed get meaningful reps. He might even start. But he's no Blake Sims as a runner. Might be as fast in a straight line, but nowhere near as shifty or strong.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
Hate to sound contrarian but, IMO, there are no similarities between them other than they are both white and afflicted with mediocre speed ~ 4.65. Welker, like Javy or David Palmer, looks fast, but they are/were not. All ran ~ 4.6 to 4.65.

Welker is a lot quicker, his calling card; Mullaney is much bigger 6'3 210 vs 5'9 185, he also has much better hands and a far greater catching radius.
whoa now. Not sure about any of that other stuff, but Palmer was indeed fast. Not like world class fast, but he flat out ran away from folks all the time. I remember seeing him catch up to Chris Anderson on a long TD run at legion field when Chris had a big head start, and Chris was one of the top 100M guys in HS in bama. Palmer looked like he was jogging...

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL
whoa now. Not sure about any of that other stuff, but Palmer was indeed fast. Not like world class fast, but he flat out ran away from folks all the time. I remember seeing him catch up to Chris Anderson on a long TD run at legion field when Chris had a big head start, and Chris was one of the top 100M guys in HS in bama. Palmer looked like he was jogging...
Yes he was. He may have lost some speed from his freshman to his junior year but Palmer was very fast. You don't return as many kicks for TD's as he did without having some serious speed.

jabcmb

All-American
Feb 1, 2006
Birmingham, AL
Yes he was. He may have lost some speed from his freshman to his junior year but Palmer was very fast. You don't return as many kicks for TD's as he did without having some serious speed.
Quickness-- an opposing coach said Palmer could change direction between frames on the film. Ha, I bet we could actually SEE the cut with today's cameras.

gtowntide

All-American
Mar 1, 2011
Memphis,TN.
Hey RTR91, before this board gets very busy from football I just wanted to thank you for all the reports and links you post. The practice reports have really been appreciated. Mods like you make this board great! RTR!

fundytide

1st Team
Oct 22, 1999
Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Hey RTR91, before this board gets very busy from football I just wanted to thank you for all the reports and links you post. The practice reports have really been appreciated. Mods like you make this board great! RTR!
I second that. TideFans has been my 'go to' resource for information and insights on Alabama football for over 15 years. Local media here in Nova Scotia just ain't getting it done when it comes to Bama updates. :biggrin2:

BamaFlum

Hall of Fame
Dec 11, 2002
S.A., TX, USA
I second that. TideFans has been my 'go to' resource for information and insights on Alabama football for over 15 years. Local media here in Nova Scotia just ain't getting it done when it comes to Bama updates. :biggrin2:
Me too. Love me some tidefans!

bama579

Hall of Fame
Jan 15, 2005
The Chukker or Archibalds
Surprises / observations
-Daron Payne already pushing for on-field time at NG. Bodes well for the future.
- What is the injury making Kirven questionable at LT?
- If Cam Sims is even being considered for playing time at WR, maybe Scarbrough can help us at RB after
his suspension is lifted
- Would love to see Dakota Ball with a good catch and run early for a confidence builder and a reward to him for making the position move from DL.
- loved the comments on Harris at RB.
- Please stay healthy Cam Rob! :)
- Reuben Foster is gonna light someone up . . With great form!
- Ronnie Clark not in top 3 at RB . . . Hope this fellow finds playing time for his team-first contributions.
9/1/2015 addition:
- We find out Cristobal is a very good OL coach. It is his group, his players . . . Have a feeling they become an outstanding group, helping us be a very good offensive team.

Last edited:

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
I don't remember Palmer ever posting any super fast 40s or 100s, but he was just one of those other world athletes who seemed to be able to run as fast as he needed to run. His quickness and cutting ability also helped to make him very, very difficult to tackle in the open field. If he had run QB in a system like Oregon now runs, it would have been very fun to watch and very difficult to stop. In fact, if memory serves, I believe he did play some QB in high school and even a little bit at Bama. I definitely remember the two point conversion to tie UT that year.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I don't remember Palmer ever posting any super fast 40s or 100s, but he was just one of those other world athletes who seemed to be able to run as fast as he needed to run. His quickness and cutting ability also helped to make him very, very difficult to tackle in the open field. If he had run QB in a system like Oregon now runs, it would have been very fun to watch and very difficult to stop. In fact, if memory serves, I believe he did play some QB in high school and even a little bit at Bama. I definitely remember the two point conversion to tie UT that year.
Everybody at Legion Field that day new Palmer was running that two point conversion in, but they also knew UT wasn't stopping him.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
Everybody at Legion Field that day new Palmer was running that two point conversion in, but they also knew UT wasn't stopping him.
I was watching Alabama warmups against the fence prior to a game in Legion Field with Palmer catching punts. It was effortless. It was like a center fielder catching a lazy fly to centerfield. He must have had great hands in addition to just knowing how to catch a punt. Others I've watched scare me when they try to catch a punt.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.