Week One Game Week Thread (Interviews, Press Conferences, Practice Reports)

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
I don't remember Palmer ever posting any super fast 40s or 100s, but he was just one of those other world athletes who seemed to be able to run as fast as he needed to run. His quickness and cutting ability also helped to make him very, very difficult to tackle in the open field. If he had run QB in a system like Oregon now runs, it would have been very fun to watch and very difficult to stop. In fact, if memory serves, I believe he did play some QB in high school and even a little bit at Bama. I definitely remember the two point conversion to tie UT that year.
exactly right. He ran faster than any one chasing him. I played against him in HS, when he was a Jr. We had some pretty good athletes as DBs. One got a FB scholly in MS, and another got a track scholly in the 100M so both pretty fast. He could outrun both of them and made it look easy. I also heard rumors that not even Teague could catch him in live drills in practice at Bama, and we know teague had some wheels.

Palmer did play QB in HS, along with every other eligible position - seriously - every one including TE and FB. He got the ball from every one of those positions also. Drove us nuts...

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
whoa now. Not sure about any of that other stuff, but Palmer was indeed fast. Not like world class fast, but he flat out ran away from folks all the time. I remember seeing him catch up to Chris Anderson on a long TD run at legion field when Chris had a big head start, and Chris was one of the top 100M guys in HS in bama. Palmer looked like he was jogging...
Palmer ran a 4.6 forty. That is why he had trouble in the NFL as a WR - too slow. His greatness as a college player was predicated on incredible athletic ability, the ability to start and stop and change direction, quickness, great hands, as well as great strength for his size.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Saban on the SEC coaches' teleconference:

Saban: I remember when Woody Hayes said you lose a game for every sophomore that you play. Times have changed.
Saban: Running back and wide receiver are easiest positions for true freshmen to play.
Saban on QB: We're going to make the best decision for our team. (He's not giving anything away)
Saban: O.J. Howard is one of our best players, so we're going to feature him in every way we can.
Saban: We feel like Bradley Bozeman is a starter whether he plays or not. We feel like we have four good inside linemen.

Last edited:

Rush

All-American
Jul 5, 2011
Ontario, Canada
I second that. TideFans has been my 'go to' resource for information and insights on Alabama football for over 15 years. Local media here in Nova Scotia just ain't getting it done when it comes to Bama updates. :biggrin2:

I'm in touch w that emotion, brother...

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
On Palmer, I'll reiterate my old lament that he was a player who just came along at the wrong time. What someone with his skillset could have done in a modern, spread offense would be outright prolific.

He did really well as it was -- 1,000 yards as a receiver for someone of his size and stature in a Gene Stallings offense, with as bad as our QB play routinely was in 1993, is just about the equivalent of climbing Everest blindfolded and backwards --but in the right scheme today he could have put up some truly once-in-a-generation type numbers. There has, obviously, been a number of tremendous athletes that have come through the SEC in the past 25 or 30 years, but I don't believe I've seen anyone yet with the acceleration, nimbleness, and elusiveness of Palmer.

theBIGyowski

All-American
Aug 4, 2005
Cumming, GA
On Palmer, I'll reiterate my old lament that he was a player who just came along at the wrong time. What someone with his skillset could have done in a modern, spread offense would be outright prolific.

He did really well as it was -- 1,000 yards as a receiver for someone of his size and stature in a Gene Stallings offense, with as bad as our QB play routinely was in 1993, is just about the equivalent of climbing Everest blindfolded and backwards --but in the right scheme today he could have put up some truly once-in-a-generation type numbers. There has, obviously, been a number of tremendous athletes that have come through the SEC in the past 25 or 30 years, but I don't believe I've seen anyone yet with the acceleration, nimbleness, and elusiveness of Palmer.
His elusiveness is probably something that few have ever had at the level he had it. You couldn't tackle him because you couldn't touch him. Other players in the past have tried to copy it, but because of their lack of quickness, they usually got driven into the ground. Palmer had the ability to make the defenders around him look like they were moving in slow motion. I will say that at times last year, Blake Sims had some Palmer-type plays where he made something out of nothing.

TideWatcher

All-SEC
Dec 11, 2006
newton county, ms
His move on that guy from Colorado still stands out. He was unreal so far as quickness. I met and talked with him before the 09 Florida game in Atlanta. He is so small, yet he was incredibly strong and skilled. Don't think I have seen anybody as elusive as Palmer in a phone booth.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007

He could also make it in the NFL today as a slot receiver where his lack of speed would not be such a hindrance. IMO, he would be a super Wes Welker. Similar quickness, size and speed; but better hands, stronger, more elusive. He might catch 150 passes in a season from Tom Brady.

mittman

All-American
Jun 19, 2009
Paul Chryst on the B1G coaches' teleconference:

Paul Chryst asked whether Ohio State's win over Alabama helps Wisconsin: "I think it does help your preparation in assessing the opponent."
But then you look in the mirror and realize that team beat you 59-0 and you realize you are in trouble to play a team that is equal/better than OSU in talent.
How does it help? We did this to ourselves... Coaches and players arent going to make same mistake.. If I were them, I would be like" I better not try this...
Back to the game at hand :)

I don't think Chryst's comment is out of line at all. In fact Saban has made similar comments. He is obviously going to gain some knowledge looking at game film of an opponent playing against another familiar one. Whether or not he can capitalize on that knowledge is left to be determined.

I remember watching a HS team that had a very highly touted cornerback. The opposing coach saw something on film where he would turn his shoulder too much the wrong way on a certain move. He knew he had receivers that were not faster or taller, but could make that move very well. The corner was not able to recover, and when he over compensated they were ready for that too. His team (the HS team my daughter went to) wore him out on it all game long and beat a team no one thought they had a chance with.

It can happen.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
Okay, I was looking for SEC conference RTR usually do.. but I had to go a page back since all the topics related to Palmer took over.... SMH
That's my fault - sorry. No more posts in this thread about Palmer from me. I guess that is easy for me to say since I've already said more than enough.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Saban on the SEC coaches' teleconference:

Saban: I remember when Woody Hayes said you lose a game for every sophomore that you play. Times have changed.
Saban: Running back and wide receiver are easiest positions for true freshmen to play.
Saban on QB: We're going to make the best decision for our team. (He's not giving anything away)
Saban: O.J. Howard is one of our best players, so we're going to feature him in every way we can.
Saban: We feel like Bradley Bozeman is a starter whether he plays or not. We feel like we have four good inside linemen.

I like what he's saying about OJ Howard. Maybe it's time for him to be the difference maker we thought he'd be!!!

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I would feel better after seeing him on the field... there was time whre he didn't really play hard.. but I'm excited to hear that he's part of the offense...

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Re: Depth chart released

I'm not even worried about QB until I'm given a reason to believe I should be worried.

We haven't had a truly bad QB to start the season in so long, there is no reason to just assume it will be bad. Of course, Avalos and Pennington weren't great but they weren't slated to be starters either.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
Re: Depth chart released

I'm not even worried about QB until I'm given a reason to believe I should be worried.

We haven't had a truly bad QB to start the season in so long, there is no reason to just assume it will be bad. Of course, Avalos and Pennington weren't great but they weren't slated to be starters either.

^^^^^^^10000000 likes

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.