Link: Obama to rename Mount Mckinley

SavannahDare

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Gulf Breeze, Florida
Seems like it's been known to Alaskans as Denali a lot longer than Mt McKinley. Read up on it.

The state should be able to name it according to what the citizens want, IMO. It's a shame it's left to the feds.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Seems like it's been known to Alaskans as Denali a lot longer than Mt McKinley. Read up on it.
True. When I was in Anchorage (1986), that's what locals called it.
The state should be able to name it according to what the citizens want, IMO. It's a shame it's left to the feds.
Not sure if it is "left up to" so much as "usurped by."

Last edited:

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL

The federal government does own 65% of Alaska, including Mt. McKinley. Whether or not the federal government should own property in a state is another discussion entirely.

Ironically, Obama wants to change the name of Mt. McKinley to one with religious meaning. Where's the FFRF when you need 'em?

Last edited:

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
At first, I thought this was dumb, but it's legit.
McKinley had little connection with Alaska.
The mountain was named by gold prospectors who favored the gold standard, which McKinley, then a presidential candidate, supported.
A purely political move.

mittman

All-American
Jun 19, 2009
This gets a big fat MEH. Whatever. People call things what they want to. Like others have said, the name change never stuck the first time. It probably won't for a while this time either. People will still call it what they always have. Sure people will be brought up calling it something different. Whoop-T-do. Naming natural formations after people (whether they discovered them or not) always seemed dumb to me anyway.

alabama mike1

All-American
Jul 12, 2013
Ohio
The elected officials here in Ohio are upset bc McKinley was from the state. Personally, I don't care what they call it just like I have no problem with the NFL team in Washington being called the Redskins.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

True, but I sure don't recall him piping up with that same argument for a certain flag that's being removed from the public square.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Sure.

I mean, he didn't name it Mount Barak.

Not yet anyway.
Well, you know, the highest mountain in France (a majority white country, by the way) is Mont Blanc, which is the local lingo for "White Mountain." That is a not so subtle code for the racist, exclusionary intentions of the French in giving it that name.

I mean, why else could they have given a mountain that name?

jps1983

Hall of Fame
Aug 30, 2006
Denali has been the local name for it for a long time. They hate the name McKinley. The national park is named Denali. The mountain there should be too. Much ado about nothing. This is something Obama is doing that makes sense (for once).

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I honestly don't care in the larger sense. Most Americans don't even know who McKinley was.

Seriously.

Most don't know he was assassinated or anything else about him. And btw - that fact is all most people know about him and that it made Teddy Roosevelt the Pres.

How many Jaywalk All-Stars do you think even know the name of the guy who shot McKinley, much less anything else about his Presidency?

KentuckianaBFan

All-SEC
Jan 26, 2011
Lakeland, FL, 2018
echoaffiliate.com
I honestly don't care in the larger sense. Most Americans don't even know who McKinley was.

Seriously.

Most don't know he was assassinated or anything else about him. And btw - that fact is all most people know about him and that it made Teddy Roosevelt the Pres.

How many Jaywalk All-Stars do you think even know the name of the guy who shot McKinley, much less anything else about his Presidency?
Well, MOST of us don't remember what we had for breakfast 2 1/2 weeks before our third birthday, either...:wink:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.