Link: Obama to rename Mount Mckinley

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
I honestly don't care in the larger sense. Most Americans don't even know who McKinley was.

Seriously.

Most don't know he was assassinated or anything else about him. And btw - that fact is all most people know about him and that it made Teddy Roosevelt the Pres.

How many Jaywalk All-Stars do you think even know the name of the guy who shot McKinley, much less anything else about his Presidency?
The mountain was named after him because he was the first guy to climb it, right?

AV8N

1st Team
Sep 18, 2013
Just as long as they don't change the name of the Dolly Parton bridge (blue font).

Timberline Tide

All-American
Jun 9, 2010
Colorado
You guys are way too focused on the merits of the name change and not on the absurdest comedy that is this administration and its priorities.

No, look at it this way: any moment Zero is doing stupid crap like this is another moment he isn't screwing up or destroying things that are actually important

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Well, MOST of us don't remember what we had for breakfast 2 1/2 weeks before our third birthday, either...:wink:

Well that's true, but even in the sidesweep of what we called American history in high school, we sort of went from Grant's corrupt administration to The Great White Fleet with a tiny mention of the Panic of 1893.

And then Jesus came back in 1914 like the Jehovah's Witnesses prophesied and shortly after that Archduke Ferdinand and his wife were shot by Lee Harvey Oswald and 57 other suspect assassins from 91 different locations, both felled by a magic bullet.

RedStar

Hall of Fame
Jan 28, 2005
The Shoals, AL
You guys are way too focused on the merits of the name change and not on the absurdest comedy that is this administration and its priorities.
Hey I've got no love for Obama, but c'mon. No one is wrong 100% of the time. No one. Part of the problem with politics in this country is that both sides refuse to admit when the other side does something right, or at the very least, not wrong. This is one of those times.

Denali is what it should be. He got this one right.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Hey I've got no love for Obama, but c'mon. No one is wrong 100% of the time. No one. Part of the problem with politics in this country is that both sides refuse to admit when the other side does something right, or at the very least, not wrong. This is one of those times.

Denali is what it should be. He got this one right.
Correct.McKinley never visited it nor evinced any interest in Alaska, period. Among people who're outdoor people, hikers, etc., it's long been called Denali. The Ohioans seem to be the ones most wedded to the old name...

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Correct.McKinley never visited it nor evinced any interest in Alaska, period. Among people who're outdoor people, hikers, etc., it's long been called Denali. The Ohioans seem to be the ones most wedded to the old name...
i spent several years working in the outdoor industry and all of the alpine/climber folks i was around always referred to it as denali.

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
Other than the Ohio senators and representatives, I've really seen no material protest to, or even interest in, the renaming. The 99.99% don't really care what a tiny population thousands of miles away call a local geological feature.

At worst, this is merely a publicity stunt to call attention to a certain upcoming trip to Alaska. I guess it's nice to know that even place names are subject to political whims.

Last edited:

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Other than the Ohio senators and representatives, I've really seen no material protest to, or even interest in, the renaming. The 99.99% don't really care what a tiny population thousands of miles away call a local geological feature.

At worst, this is merely a publicity stunt to call attention to a certain upcoming trip to Alaska. I guess it's nice to know that even place names are subject to political whims.
That is the joy of a consolidationist view of Federal powers. Once you acknowledge that the Federal government can do literally anything, then the existence of literally everything is due to Federal indulgence.

Don't like dog poop on the sidewalk? It is there because the Federal government has not yet legislated against it.
Don't like the color orange? The Federal government allows it.

Imagine how much fun this can be.

Last edited:

KentuckianaBFan

All-SEC
Jan 26, 2011
Lakeland, FL, 2018
echoaffiliate.com
Well that's true, but even in the sidesweep of what we called American history in high school, we sort of went from Grant's corrupt administration to The Great White Fleet with a tiny mention of the Panic of 1893.

And then Jesus came back in 1914 like the Jehovah's Witnesses prophesied and shortly after that Archduke Ferdinand and his wife were shot by Lee Harvey Oswald and 57 other suspect assassins from 91 different locations, both felled by a magic bullet.
See, that's what I'm talking about--no way I could remember all that...and just think of the impact on history if Ferdinand had been shot BEFORE he let Columbus discover America...

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL
Is there anything else that someone think should be renamed?
What I mean is, as long as Obama is spending his time on such useless projects, the less time he has to screw up something else that's a lot more important and has more impact on the rest of us. And that's fine by me.

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
Is there anything else that someone think should be renamed?
What I mean is, as long as Obama is spending his time on such useless projects, the less time he has to screw up something else that's a lot more important and has more impact on the rest of us. And that's fine by me.
Richard Arrington Jr. Boulevard

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.