Link: Trent's gone per Scout

Status
Not open for further replies.

InsaneMustang

1st Team
Jul 30, 2001
Not defending Trent, but did anyone watch any of the Oakland preseason games? A midget couldn't have found a hole with that offensive line.

RedStar

Hall of Fame
Jan 28, 2005
The Shoals, AL
Not defending Trent, but did anyone watch any of the Oakland preseason games? A midget couldn't have found a hole with that offensive line.
Probably why they cut him.

Richardson was due to make nearly $2,000,000 this year with $600,000 guaranteed.
Dyer is due to make about $500,000 this year.
Murray is due to make just over $500,000 this year.
Helu is due $2,000,000 but over $1,000,000 of that is guaranteed.

Given the fact that no RB looks to be head and shoulders above the rest, financially, you cut the most expensive, and unfortunately that's Richardson.

superbamashane

1st Team
Aug 14, 2006
Sylacauga, AL
I think its time to say Trent is another Ron Dayne story in which he was great in college but a bust in the pros. I loved watching Trent at Alabama and hate to see his career turn out like this, but it seems like it isn't meant to be
Ron Dayne's not a good comparison. He was a north/south runner that used his size to his advantage in college. I never expected much out of him in the pros. Trent was an all around beast. He had good speed, agilty, and hands....and nasty power. He had all the tools to be an elite pro RB. Even if he has bad vision or can't learn the playbook he should be better than he is just with his god-given abilities. I just can't figure him out.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Ron Dayne's not a good comparison. He was a north/south runner that used his size to his advantage in college. I never expected much out of him in the pros. Trent was an all around beast. He had good speed, agilty, and hands....and nasty power. He had all the tools to be an elite pro RB. Even if he has bad vision or can't learn the playbook he should be better than he is just with his god-given abilities. I just can't figure him out.
I wasn't comparing skill sets I was comparing how they were both hype coming in the NFL coming out of college, and how they both didn't seem to pan out.

Vision outweighs speed and ability. everybody who enters the NFL has a great degree of ability, but many lack fundamentals and mechanics needed to succeed. Trent's lack of vision puts him behind lesser talented backs like Legarrett Blount in terms of effectiveness. The D linemen in the NFL trump the greatest dline in college by a large margin, and can close a hole and catch a fast runningback pretty quick. So you need a runningback that can see and predict a hole opening at a super human rate of speed to produce. Trent unfortunately cant seem to do that. He got away with it in college because the defenses were not in the same zip code as even the Jaguars defense, and he had one of the greatest olines ever assembled.

bigjue24

Suspended
Dec 2, 2009
Okeechobee, FL
The difference with Ingram was his problems were mostly linked with injuries. He produced when given the ball. Ingram is one of those backs that tended to get better the more carries he got. That guy broke backs in the 4th quarter of more than one Bama game.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Trent is going to be signed by someone in the NFL for this season. I think the Cowboys is a reasonable landing spot.
If he gets signed, it'll be to a practice squad with the caveat of possibly being added to active roster.

He had a great first year and then the NFL made some rule changes that affected some running backs' running styles. He wasn't the same after that. He would tear up the CFL.
That rule change didn't hurt his running style. The rule focused on a runner using the crown of his helmet. Trent didn't use the crown of his helmet very often. There's one play that people remember, but he did not use it every single run.

Probably why they cut him.

Richardson was due to make nearly $2,000,000 this year with $600,000 guaranteed.
Dyer is due to make about $500,000 this year.
Murray is due to make just over $500,000 this year.
Helu is due $2,000,000 but over $1,000,000 of that is guaranteed.

Given the fact that no RB looks to be head and shoulders above the rest, financially, you cut the most expensive, and unfortunately that's Richardson.
This is why veteran guys are getting cut more often than in the seasons prior to the new CBA. Younger players cost less, so teams go with the cheaper salaries.

He ran behind a better line at Bama than he ever has in the NFL.
Yet, he had worse stats compared to the other RBs running behind those OLs.

CrankyFranky

Scout Team
Aug 5, 2004
Gadsden, AL
I saw a nice burst last night - looked like the old Trent for a fleeting moment. I would hire him. He's not done.
He's toast. I hate to say it, but it is what it is. Running backs have such a short shelf life as it is. I don't know if he got beat up at Bama more than anyone would admit, but his best years were clearly in T'town.

scrodz

1st Team
Jan 29, 2008
Baltimore, MD
I don't watch much pro ball, but what I've seen of him the last couple of years is that he just goes down too easily. There were a couple of runs the other day where he had a hole, the DL slipped a block and hit him from the side, and he went down like a sack of bricks. Just not a whole lot of yards after contact. I don't know if it's the quality of the opposition or a change in his running style, but he used to lean into those off balance tackles and punish the defender, and he doesn't seem to be doing that now.

Hoot30

All-SEC
Jan 12, 2005
Nashville, TN
I think the Titans could really use him, but they probably won't sign him. Their current running backs are Bishop Sankey and Dexter McCluster. In 2014, Sankey averaged 3.7 ypc and McCluster only averaged 3.3, but they mainly use McCluster as a receiver. Based on how Trent played against the Cardinals, he looked better than anything that the Titans have.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Watch his ESPN Sports Science segment. They show all of his strengths. Many of those strengths appear to be his issues in the NFL.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
It has happened to man Bama Player's once the entering the NFL after playing for The Tide(Coach Saban In Particular)..It's like the don't play with the same passion, put in the extra time in the weight room & even in the NFL y'all know other players wanna play a bit harder cause he's going against a Crimson Tider..Plus..You simply have the proverbial X on your back when you play at Bama & after if you play in the NFL..

Last edited:

rtcjny

All-SEC
Jan 27, 2011
Hartselle ,AL
I think he should time and regroup. Then next season he should try out for the CFL. I think he could be a star there plus it would motivate me to watch more of the CFL.

InsaneMustang

1st Team
Jul 30, 2001
I feel like Trent is +25 to 40 pounds since that sports science video. Of course maybe it's just the black raiders uniform.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
One of the greatest athletes I've ever personally known had the same issues. He was 5'9" 185 lb and coming out of high school he was as agile & fast as anyone else on the field. He played QB in high school and finished 3rd on the all time list for total yardage in MS history. He also finished pretty highly on the all time scoring list in basketball all while leading our HS to 2 basketball state titles. He was an exceptionally special athlete. He went to Ole Miss where Orgeron put him at DB. By his senior season he'd put on 40+ lbs of muscle. He'd lost all his speed and everything that made him the athlete he was in HS.

I think that's what happened to Trent. He always had trouble making weight in the NFL. There's only so much mass a 5'9" frame can handle. That combined with waning confidence and he never really had a chance.
I think you've hit on something here. I remember when he was coming out of high school, that he had a love for weight lifting and he was already putting up massive numbers. I wondered how far that could go with a guy his height, and how it would effect his ability to play the game well. I seem to also remember BAMA's strength coaches had to limit him in the weight room because he would be lifting such obscene amounts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.