Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere

willie52

All-American
Jan 25, 2008
Arab, AL
anyone know how much money he's made in the league?
I think he's contract was almost $18 million for 5 years. Plus the lowest pay for a veteran is 600K so he received that for just being with the Raiders. All before taxes but he shouldn't have a problem living. These figures may be off a little but they're close.

RT3413

All-American
Sep 14, 2004
Atlanta, GA
In my opinion, the best thing he could do would be to return to Bama tomorrow, enroll in classes for this quarter, finish his degree work and do some GTA work with Coach Saban and his staff to try and get into coaching. He's had 2nd chances (Colts) and 3rd chances (Raiders) and I doubt any team would pick him up as anything other than bench fodder at this point. He's damaged goods and, as a vet, expensive. Teams are far more likely to pick up a free agent rookie or 2nd year guy for cheap as a 3rd string insurance policy against injuries.

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
I think he's contract was almost $18 million for 5 years. Plus the lowest pay for a veteran is 600K so he received that for just being with the Raiders. All before taxes but he shouldn't have a problem living. These figures may be off a little but they're close.
a quick search returned that he got a $13 million signing bonus as a rookie and that he's earned over $17 million total.

if he's earned 1/3 of that and he has been halfway prudent, he's set for life and if those numbers are accurate he's absolutely loaded.

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
In my opinion, the best thing he could do would be to return to Bama tomorrow, enroll in classes for this quarter, finish his degree work and do some GTA work with Coach Saban and his staff to try and get into coaching. He's had 2nd chances (Colts) and 3rd chances (Raiders) and I doubt any team would pick him up as anything other than bench fodder at this point. He's damaged goods and, as a vet, expensive. Teams are far more likely to pick up a free agent rookie or 2nd year guy for cheap as a 3rd string insurance policy against injuries.
I kind of get the feeling that he just doesn't really care anymore.

and if I got paid $13 million before I ever started a job, I may not care anymore either.

RT3413

All-American
Sep 14, 2004
Atlanta, GA
a quick search returned that he got a $13 million signing bonus as a rookie and that he's earned over $17 million total.

if he's earned 1/3 of that and he has been halfway prudent, he's set for life and if those numbers are accurate he's absolutely loaded.
Wait...

$17M
Taxes take 45% of that
Net $9.3M
Agents take 15% of the top.
Net $6.8M
PR, Management, etc... another 10% of the top
Net $4.3M

He's got 2 kids, comes from nothing and would have spent some money on his kids, mom, houses, etc...
Net $3M

Now. That seems like a hell of a lot of money. But. At reasonable returns it gives off $120K/yr if you don't touch the principle. Again, very solid money but far from being "set for life."

And that's BEST case.

He's gonna need to find a job or we're going to hear bad things down the road.

bamablood6

1st Team
Mar 27, 2006
Agents don't come close to making 15% in the NFL. More like 3-7% depending on how big the contract.
Well I know I could live on $120,000 a year doing absolutely nothing.

I mean its not Brady, Gates, Trump, Wahlberg....but I could be safe and secure with that money a year, and to have it without busting my butt in a 40-60 hour a week job. Geez. I don't feel sorry for Trent.

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL
This is why veteran guys are getting cut more often than in the seasons prior to the new CBA. Younger players cost less, so teams go with the cheaper salaries.
I don't think the NFLPA realized the impact this would have on veterans when they agreed to the new rookie caps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.