Link: Trent's gone per Scout

Status
Not open for further replies.

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL
I don't mind the fact that Trent didn't translate well to the NFL. It doesn't fit every players strength. There will be busts on a yearly basis, that 2012 class as a whole was a big letdown.

The problem I have is the brutality that people have gone after TR. He's a human being, he failed, but everyone seems to be enjoying his downfall and rubbing it in his face. The brutality of the comments I've seen from the media and the comments from other sites has been incredibly excessive.

Trent didn't amount to much in the NFL, but it's not his fault that he was over drafted, or that the Colts traded that 1st round pick.

I don't understand where all of the hatred is coming from.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
It comes with the territory once you sign a multi-million dollar NFL contract.

major tidefan

All-American
Jul 3, 2006
Boaz,AL
The problem I have is the brutality that people have gone after TR. He's a human being, he failed, but everyone seems to be enjoying his downfall and rubbing it in his face. The brutality of the comments I've seen from the media and the comments from other sites has been incredibly excessive.

Unfortunately,that's the day and age we live in.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I don't mind the fact that Trent didn't translate well to the NFL. It doesn't fit every players strength. There will be busts on a yearly basis, that 2012 class as a whole was a big letdown.

Trent didn't amount to much in the NFL, but it's not his fault that he was over drafted, or that the Colts traded that 1st round pick.

I figure it comes with what he cost teams. The Browns used the third overall pick on him. He didn't live up to that. The Colts used their first round pick to trade for him. He really failed to meet first round standards in Indy.

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
Trent actually had a pretty solid rookie year. I wonder what would have happened if he had stayed in Cleveland. I think they gave up on him way too early.

wsims74

3rd Team
Apr 30, 2013
i personally think it is mostly injuries and fatigue catching up with him. HE always played hurt, he always ran to defenders forcing contact and you just can't do that in the nfl and play.

stlimprov

1st Team
Nov 9, 2005
Saint Louis, MO
it doesn't really help trent's case to compare him to a guy who flopped out of the league in large part because he's a criminal who is also possibly a sociopath.

to my knowledge, trent has no such problems holding him back and all his problems as a player seem to be related to his playing ability and not psychological or off field issues.
Allow me to rephrase: "Anyone who thinks Trent Richardson is the worst (highly drafted) NFL RB ever has clearly forgotten about one Lawrence Phillips, who was not only a terrible NFL RB, but would also appear to be a terrible human being."

Bama Bound

BamaNation Citizen
Feb 15, 2003
Birmingham, AL
As with everyone else this is a real mystery to me also. Definitely has to be something going on we all do not know. Seems to be a trend now with drafting NFL caliber running backs in the last few years that teams are hesitant because Trent is not the only one that has not lived up to expectation and money paid to them.

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com
I just think it comes down to Vision, he has none. In college he didn't need vision he just ran over everybody. You can't run over NFL defenders. I mean you might could but you're not going to get any yards and the goal is to get the yards. It's a shame. I hope he can find a new direction for his life.

IH8Orange

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2000
Trussville, AL, USA
As much as NFL teams spend to find out about every physical and mental risk on a player recruited that highly, surely they would have discovered any such problem with Trent. It's just flabbergasting. If you had asked me to pick the least likely of our recent RBs to flop in the NFL, I would have chosen Trent over Eddie or Mark. Trent wasn't just physically dominating, he had unbelievable shiftiness. Remember the ankle breaking juke he put on Ole Miss' DB Golson (who was an NFL draftee)? There are plenty of other examples where he made really good defenders look just plain silly.

I honestly don't know what the problem is. If it was something ascribable to him personally, then why didn't one of these million-dollar defensive coordinators figure it out and stop him? SEC defenses are as close to NFL defenses as you'll find in terms of front-seven talent. He looked pretty good early in his career, as I remember this carry in particular. He had a slump for several games and then seemed to peak after midseason, starting with a 7-6 victory over San Diego where he averaged almost 6 ypc and scored the only TD in the game. In his final 8 games of the 2012 season (he was injured during the Broncos game on 12/23/2012), he averaged 20.5 carries per game, 3.7 yards per carry, and just under 1 TD per game. After only TWO games in the 2013 season, he was traded to the Colts.

I don't know what lofty expectations the Browns had with their pathetic offensive line, but he was doomed to fail there if they thought he was going to be breaking tackles by defenders 1 yard after taking the handoff and bursting for long TDs. Then what a great confidence booster to be traded to a team that exists only to pad Andrew Luck's fantasy stats and probably thinks that the OC is goofing with them when he calls a running play, unless it's a QB sneak. No matter what the Raiders might say, he seemed to be a punchline by the time he arrived there.

The NFL isn't the same man's league it was when Jim Brown was playing. There aren't hardhats in the stands anymore, just the wine and cheese crowd for whom the NFL is the trendy fashion and who'll be back to chasing each other's wives around the yacht on Sunday afternoons after they become bored by a few 9-6 games. A ballerina typically has more dirt on her slippers than one of the gangly immobile NFL QBs have on their uniforms, regardless of how much they favor Neanderthalensis (exhibits a, b, c ). Listen to the typical NFL fan talk about the running game and they ONLY value it for taking pressure off their QB and running a guy 20 carries a game behind the truly offensive line they had at Cleveland is the antithesis of what lethal injection was meant to be.

I truly hope Cleveland suffers things that Beelzebub considered too heinous for the ninth circle of hell. I've been there several times and the only reason you can't see the 11th circle is because of the smog over Lake Erie. When the Ravens left there, their Wonderlich scores increased by 22% ex post facto and, before entry into Baltimore, they were held for 2 days longer in quarantine than astronauts to ensure that any parasitic organisms that might suck the life out of a football team were eliminated.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Trent is bewildering, but the thing is no one watched him his first season and questioned his abilities. Everyone knew the Browns sucked, and Trent by himself accounted for more rushing TDs (if I recall correctly) than the entire team the year before. So to me it's hard to argue that he just couldn't cut it in the NFL.

The thing is that turned out to be his best year by far. I'd have to agree with that one particular hit having somewhat of an impact. The rules are changed, Trent is used as a model for what not to do. What kind of impact does that have? Now Trent has every reason to shy away from the style which was how he played the game.

Couple that with what some people say is just a plain old bad attitude, enough money to be financially secure, and skills that didn't completely translate to the NFL and one has to wonder if Trent was even willing to accept the fact that in order to make it in the NFL he had to work even harder just to be average. That might have been too much for him to accept...

IH8Orange

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2000
Trussville, AL, USA
Trent is bewildering, but the thing is no one watched him his first season and questioned his abilities. Everyone knew the Browns sucked, and Trent by himself accounted for more rushing TDs (if I recall correctly) than the entire team the year before. So to me it's hard to argue that he just couldn't cut it in the NFL.
LIKE.

The Browns were willing to use a #3 pick on Trent and then just apparently gave up on him with only a rookie year under his belt. I remember that he was already being called a bust when he was traded to the Colts and their TD-tossin' caveman. If the Browns weren't willing to accept THEIR weaknesses (horrible run blocking) and give him a few years and even to get him some decent blockers before giving up on him and chumming ESPN and their "livin' in mama's basement", Madden-playing, never-been-kissed couch nerd minions into a frenzy of disrepute, then they should have used their valuable pick on someone better suited to their system and their "apparent" needs. The blame is all heaped on him, but if he was such a terrible player, then they have been exposed as the idiots who wasted a #3 pick on him.

I've never heard of Ryan Clark, but he needs to stick to gator and boudin recipes, accessorizing buttoned sleeves with cuff links, or whatever his limited mental capabilities allow and shut up about running backs. Better yet, he should move to the Erie waterfront and await the rapture.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
The Browns were willing to use a #3 pick on Trent and then just apparently gave up on him with only a rookie year under his belt. I remember that he was already being called a bust when he was traded to the Colts and their TD-tossin' caveman. If the Browns weren't willing to accept THEIR weaknesses (horrible run blocking) and give him a few years and even to get him some decent blockers before giving up on him and chumming ESPN and their "livin' in mama's basement", Madden-playing, never-been-kissed couch nerd minions into a frenzy of disrepute, then they should have used their valuable pick on someone better suited to their system and their "apparent" needs. The blame is all heaped on him, but if he was such a terrible player, then they have been exposed as the idiots who wasted a #3 pick on him.
It is clear now that the Browns were very wise to trade him while they could still get something substantial - what was clearly going to be a late first round pick. It amounted to trading back in the draft without compensation rather than losing a first round pick altogether, which is what the Colts were left with.

The Browns had not given up on Trent after his first season. Trent went through the camps and played in the first two games of his second season before they traded him. In those two games he had 31 carries for 105 yards, so they used him and he was far from terrible. But the Colts were looking at a season with only one RB (injuries at the position) and their GM was openly asking teams if they had a quality RB that they were willing to trade. Seemed like a great opportunity for everyone involved.

Let's face it, if any player is given an opportunity to start for 3 different NFL teams (truly given an opportunity as we think Trent has been) and he fails, it is the player. As much as it shocks me to see it play out this way, Trent just doesn't seem to have what it takes to be successful in the NFL. Trying to find fault helps no one.

IH8Orange

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2000
Trussville, AL, USA
It is clear now that the Browns were very wise to trade him while they could still get something substantial - what was clearly going to be a late first round pick. It amounted to trading back in the draft without compensation rather than losing a first round pick altogether, which is what the Colts were left with.

The Browns had not given up on Trent after his first season. Trent went through the camps and played in the first two games of his second season before they traded him. In those two games he had 31 carries for 105 yards, so they used him and he was far from terrible. But the Colts were looking at a season with only one RB (injuries at the position) and their GM was openly asking teams if they had a quality RB that they were willing to trade. Seemed like a great opportunity for everyone involved.

Let's face it, if any player is given an opportunity to start for 3 different NFL teams (truly given an opportunity as we think Trent has been) and he fails, it is the player. As much as it shocks me to see it play out this way, Trent just doesn't seem to have what it takes to be successful in the NFL. Trying to find fault helps no one.
Doesn't that second statement contradict your first? You just ascribed blame to Trent. He's had three opportunities in FOUR years. Every season, he's just about having to learn a new playbook, so he's never had the chance to get to that "react, don't think" stage where effectiveness resides. You act like a player should just be able to drop into any random program and work at 100% off the bat. Have you ever played football? At the professional level, it's like other professions. You wouldn't expect a person that just started for a company to be performing at the level of a three-year veteran, would you? That's what you seem to infer.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
there are two things that I think need to be elaborated on:

First, the statement by Ryan Clark. While he did at first say "Trent is the worst rb in nfl history" if you go further in the interview Skip bayless says " I can think of a good many worse than him" Ryan actually agreed with him. If you watch Ryan a lot he throws a big what the heck jab to get people riled up and then goes into logical substance. His argument was that he was where Trent was drafted and a conversation with Mike Tomlin. He told Tomlin he was worried about the Browns potentially drafting Trent prior to the draft, and Tomlin said " I HOPE THEY DO". Ryan asked why and Tomlin told him " He absorbs too much contact and would be good for awhile, but wouldn't make in the NFL." he also told Ryan that he feared the Browns getting Blackman as a WR more than Trent. So aside from the opening statement by Clark I think its a pretty solid argument.

As far as Trent being great his rookie season, and the Browns destroying his career. Do I need to remind you Jevaan Snead was a "good" qb his first year starting? One year doesn't make a player great, and if you look into some reports that were coming out of the gm's office about the Browns fears that he would be another Peyton Hillis situation in which you get stuck with a player no one wants after their splendor leaves them, you can see why the Browns wanted to cash in on Trent while they could.

I know everyone loves Trent, but at some point all these excuses some of you make need to either be proven by fact or just dropped. Noone makes excuses on why Jay Cutler has gone from a good qb to a horrible one, and he was way more successful than Trent in terms of NFL success. Just remember Trent when he played at Alabama, and accept that not everyone makes a big splash in the NFL. Its going to be fine

bama2112

All-American
Nov 19, 2006
Cobb County, Ga.
How much money did he make? How well did he invest it? This board is really about college fooball. I wish him the best... But I dont watch Sunday football anymore.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Doesn't that second statement contradict your first? You just ascribed blame to Trent.
No, my assigning fault doesn't change the fact that it doesn't help.

You act like a player should just be able to drop into any random program and work at 100% off the bat. Have you ever played football?
To answer the question first, yes, but only at a high school level. Not sure how that matters as most posting on this board have never played a down of football and it doesn't seem to keep this from being one of the most informed football message boards on the web. You can understand the game without having played it.

As for your point about him changing teams, learning offenses, etc.- sounds like excuses to me. As Saban said in his presser the other day, the two positions that are easiest for a player to have an immediate impact are RB and WR. We see rookie RBs have good to great rookie seasons every year. This argument is pretty thin for a RB.

Again - I like Trent. I have a Trent tee shirt (the only Alabama player represented on any apparel that I own). But me liking Trent does not make him an NFL caliber player.

IH8Orange

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2000
Trussville, AL, USA
Every problem comes to perception.

Clark says Tomlin already has an opinion, completely based on prior players, as to Trent's fate. The Browns office decides to "make a deal while they can" based on what happened with another player. Regardless of the reason why the Browns jettisoned him, the PERCEPTION in the media was that he was a bust. We already see from the first two situations how perception drives reality, so it is reasonable to assume that other decisions and assessments of his efficacy and productivity were also influenced by this perception of "bust". The prevailing perception is usually the freshest one, so at Indy, he is perceived as a failed castoff from the Browns. At Oakland, he's perceived as the failed, or twice failed castoff from the Colts.

The FACTS are that in his limited time at Cleveland, outside of the organization, he wasn't considered a failure except by the most unrealistic or hateful fans. He was only judged a failure after they traded him, so it seems that perception instead of reality piloted his ship from start to finish. If the Browns stick with their #3 pick in 2013 instead of letting the fate of some other player negatively influence their decisions on his fate, who knows how good (or bad) he would be now, but once the die was cast and he was perceived a failure, that could ONLY negatively influence every decision in regards to his career forward. I can't say that he would have been successful had the Browns kept him, but his direction changed radically when they traded him, so they are the entity that took the first swing in a series of blows that were fatal and they WILL BE assigned culpability by me. I believe that would get a conviction in a felony trial, so it seems just.

Trent was tossed overboard because Peyton Hillis carried the plague. How does anyone seriously blame him?

IH8Orange

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2000
Trussville, AL, USA
How much money did he make? How well did he invest it? This board is really about college fooball. I wish him the best... But I dont watch Sunday football anymore.
Point acknowledged, but until a moderator says otherwise, it is a valid topic of conversation because it involves a recent Tide standout.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.