Question: Leave the car? Bus, cab, other options for game day?

ALM

Sep 1, 2015
Hi all,
We over for our first game, the Arkansas game, from Ireland.
We're staying in a hotel out on Skyland Blvd but we want to hit the strip after the game so don't want to take the car.
How difficult is it to get cabs on gameday/nights?

I've been reading up things to do on gameday, anything new /changed in past few years since this thread?
http://www.tidefans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77129&page=1

Roll tide
Al

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Re: Leave the car?

Hi all,
We over for our first game, the Arkansas game, from Ireland.
We're staying in a hotel out on Skyland Blvd but we want to hit the strip after the game so don't want to take the car.
How difficult is it to get cabs on gameday/nights?

I've been reading up things to do on gameday, anything new /changed in past few years since this thread?
http://www.tidefans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77129&page=1

Roll tide
Al
A cab? That might be tough, but there are a lot of buses ferrying folks from satellite parking to the vicinity of the game. Rolltide.com has more details. Just look up "Gameday," I believe.

ALM

Sep 1, 2015

Thanks Tidewater, was planning on having a few beers after so was hoping I could leave the car at the hotel. I don't think the shuttles run out as far as Skyland so might have to skip the beers.

Would you recommend parking near the strip or in lot B (can be pre-booked) ?

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.

Thanks Tidewater, was planning on having a few beers after so was hoping I could leave the car at the hotel. I don't think the shuttles run out as far as Skyland so might have to skip the beers.

Well, the hotel might have a shuttle as far as the satellite parking at MacFarland.

Rush

All-American
Jul 5, 2011
Ontario, Canada

I don't think that's allowed... :biggrin2:

SavannahDare

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Gulf Breeze, Florida

http://uagameday.com/football-shuttle.php

Here are your shuttle options. Tuscaloosa Transit runs shuttles on the Greensboro route out to Skyland, but only for an hour after the game. You may want to do your drinking on the strip before the game OR be prepared for a long wait if you want to do it afterwards and then call a cab.

Here are your parking options if you take the car (which is what I would do):

http://uagameday.com/football-parking.php#off-campus

Last edited:

ALM

Sep 1, 2015

L
I don't think that's allowed... :biggrin2:
If them are the rules!

Thanks guys will contact the hotel to see
If the have a shuttle. Would like to experience the post game buzz.

How long do you mean by long wait?

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
No uber. Big spittin contest between uber, cab drivers, and the city council. To date, no resolution.

My best advice is to park in the deck downtown. It's pretty cheap, and they have shuttles. Or you can walk the 10-12 blocks. Lots of watering holes nearby.

Alternatively, scrounge a spot in somebody's yard, most plentiful in the 12th and 13th street areas south of the stadium. Just pay them the $20-$30 or so and be done with it. Not that much in the context of a game day anyway

Rush

All-American
Jul 5, 2011
Ontario, Canada
No uber. Big spittin contest between uber, cab drivers, and the city council. To date, no resolution.

My best advice is to park in the deck downtown. It's pretty cheap, and they have shuttles. Or you can walk the 10-12 blocks. Lots of watering holes nearby.

Alternatively, scrounge a spot in somebody's yard, most plentiful in the 12th and 13th street areas south of the stadium. Just pay them the $20-$30 or so and be done with it. Not that much in the context of a game day anyway

That would be my advice...

Was down last Fall for my first - n only - game in Ttown, and took fullllllllllllll advantage of the opportunity to walk to most places - esp after the game...

The ability to walk along the strip - and pop into whichever bar looked tempting [i.e. whichever one had the hawtest lookin' hunnees visible through the window] was ideal...

Sure beat the heck out of sitting in traffic / looking for parking spots...

RT3413

All-American
Sep 14, 2004
Atlanta, GA

^^^ Ditto. The downtown deck is your best option. You can always get a cab after the crowds clear out. Right after the game things are just plain nuts and you are either going to drive (and sit in traffic) or wait it out on The Strip in those crowds.

Word to the wise... we'll either be the CBS game or the ESPN night game that week - my money is on the ESPN game since CBS will be trying to hold out to keep the Iron Bowl since they lost it last year.

ALM

Sep 1, 2015
thanks guys, is there any need to prebook the downtown deck? Can you leave the car there overnight and collect the following day?

RT3413 what time you think kick off will be? Thats not confirmed until a few weeks before right?

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
thanks guys, is there any need to prebook the downtown deck? Can you leave the car there overnight and collect the following day?

RT3413 what time you think kick off will be? Thats not confirmed until a few weeks before right?
No pre-booking -- first come, first served. It's a pretty big deck, though, and if you're there 3-4 hours before game time (which you'll want to be anyway), getting a spot shouldn't be a problem.

Site linked below says it's free, even on game days. Don't know about overnight parking, but there's a phone number in the link as well:

http://www.tuscaloosatransit.com/football.php

Downtown has really grown in the last few years. Given that there's a bunch of bars and restaurants within 2 blocks of the deck, my gut says overnight is OK. But you need to call to be sure.

InsaneMustang

1st Team
Jul 30, 2001
For me it depends on what direction your coming/going from/to.

I'd recommend parking at McFarland Mall and using the TideRide system. It's cheap and efficient as hell. The soccer complex is a great option too, again extremely efficient.

I have done both and had fantastic experiences with both.

ALM

Sep 1, 2015
Tuscaloosa Transit Authority say i can leave the car in the parking deck overnight, and to book a cab plenty in advance i think that will be the best solution. Thanks again guys.

Anything else we should do on gameday that wasnt in the old thread?
What's Inisfree like?

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Inisfree is good, but has advantages and disadvantages.

From the downtown deck headed toward campus, it's the first decent watering hole. Food is OK, not great. Expect deterioration in food quality and service time with the incredible volume of game day. Even with the best staff, game day just puts a nasty load on both the waitstaff and cooks.

It's kind of by itself, with not much immediately nearby.

Here's what I'd suggest:
-- Park at the downtown deck. Head east toward campus.
-- Stop at Innisfree for a beer, then continue on east down University Boulevard.
-- Starting with Egan's and The Houndstooth (across University Blvd from one another), pick the place that strikes your fancy. There are several options within yards of one another.
-- After a couple on The Strip, continue east to the Quad. I promise you've never seen anything like the tents, TVs and grills. If they know you're at your first game all the way from Ireland, you'll want for neither food nor drink nor entertainment.
-- If on the off chance you're hungry and don't have anybody offering you a repast, there are several food and soft drink vendors available nearby.
-- Check on the timing of Walk of Champions...a function of game time. Be on the north side of the stadium about 20 minutes prior.
-- Before or after that as specifics allow, backtrack up The Strip, or go to the Supe Store on The Quad for some Bama swag.
-- Alternatively, go further east to the Bryant Museum. But if you do, plan on at least 1.5 hours between walk time to, the visit itself, and walk time back. Personally, I think the Bryant is overrated. But then I lived most of it live and in person in Tuscaloosa, and therefore am blessed to have a somewhat jaded perspective.
-- Now, go to your seats. If this is your first game, and you've come from Ireland, you have to see the pre-game show on the in-stadium screens. Take my word for it...study up on Bryant's time to fully appreciate it.
-- Enjoy the game. As much as I like my beer, I don't imbibe during the game, and don't recommend trying to smuggle alcohol in.
-- After the game, stroll back west up University. You'll pass the same watering holes you saw earlier in the day. Go in or not as you interest dictates.
-- Depending on the nature of the game (blowouts empty out gradually, starting at halftime; close games have a tsunami when the game ends), it takes anywhere from 1 to 2.5 hours for University to clear after the game ends.
-- Walk or cab back to the deck and savor the memory.

You're going to have a great time.

Last edited:

ALM

Sep 1, 2015
Thanks Basket Case, looking forward to it, have been following Bama for a few years now and have seen a few shows on Bryant so museum might be interesting.

Is the strip busy after the games or do most people drive home? Over here most of the partying/festivities(=drinking:wink:) would take place after games but that's probably because we don't get weather for tailgating pre game.

RT3413

All-American
Sep 14, 2004
Atlanta, GA

Correct... the earliest the official kickoff time would be announced would be Monday 9/28 at about 3pm EST. My personal thought is CBS will use one of their six-day exemptions to make the decision on Sunday October 4th. They'll surely be televising the Bama vs UGA matchup on the 3rd and will likely be picking between Bama/Arky and UGA/Tenn for the CBS slot on the 10th. My guess is they're going to want to see how we fare vs UGA and how Arky does vs Tenn onthe 3rd before committing to the 10th.

In short, we beat Georgia and Tennessee beats Arkansas we're a lock for a 2:30pm Central kick on CBS. If the reverse happens and the Razorbacks beat Tennesssee and we fall to UGA we'd fall to ESPN/ESPN2 at night (6pm or 7pm or later kick). Something in the middle (e.g. Bama over UGA but Tennessee gets destroyed by Arky) and it's back to a coin flip.

Darkhorses to screw this all up... Florida vs Missouri and LSU vs South Carolina are also on the 10th. Those seem destined to split the SEC Network noon kick and the other ESPN game but if we fall early and Tennessee implodes we could get the SEC network slot. But I'd put that as a low probability.

My gut:

CBS 2:30pm central - 40% chance
ESPN Early Evening - 30% chance
ESPN2 Late - 20% shot
SEC Network - 10%

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Thanks Basket Case, looking forward to it, have been following Bama for a few years now and have seen a few shows on Bryant so museum might be interesting.

Is the strip busy after the games or do most people drive home? Over here most of the partying/festivities(=drinking:wink:) would take place after games but that's probably because we don't get weather for tailgating pre game.
The Strip is busy before and after. Exact timing is a function of both the weather and kickoff time. But it's safe to say 3 hours before and 2 hours after.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.