I need something to backup our computers at work

Jessica4Bama

Hall of Fame
Nov 7, 2009
Alabama
A few weeks ago our computer crashed so all of our documents and everything went with it. We had been using an external hard drive, but for some reason it didn't save all the data so we lost about a years worth of paperwork. Our computer guy told me what all I needed in our new computer, but he also recommended getting a better external hard drive. He likes the Western Digital Passport. I have used Clickfree in the past, but it appears they have changed it up since I bought mine.

Anyway, we got a second hard drive installed on the new computer, and it backs up the content daily to it, but I still want to get an external hard drive to use weekly in case this happens again.

I need something that will save all of our customer's paperwork that we do through Microsoft Access. This will include models, VIN's, etc.

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL
I use a WD 1TB "My Cloud" external drive via my wireless network, and it supports 2 desktops, 1 laptop and 1 tablet here at home.
For a business, you're going to need something a lot larger. If you're using any MS Office app, you might even consider MS Cloud, which comes with your MS Office subscription.

Jessica4Bama

Hall of Fame
Nov 7, 2009
Alabama
The problem we ran into with the other external hard drive was that the way the guy years ago programmed Access to print out VIN's and MSO's for some reason wasn't copying over to the external hard drive when we would click and drag it. I think the new company we use has fixed the way it is programmed so he says it will copy all the data over now.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
Well I would prefer on site because I'm not to familiar with cloud-based. I thought that was just for Macs, no?
An on site backup is fine to have but if a disaster occurs on site you'll have no backup to get you going seamlessly again. Depending on your needs, a RAID 5 or Raid 1 setup on your local computer and an off site backup offer the best of both worlds. The off site can be a secure backup server or secure cloud service. If you aren't familiar with all that you should talk to a qualified professional in your area.

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
The problem we ran into with the other external hard drive was that the way the guy years ago programmed Access to print out VIN's and MSO's for some reason wasn't copying over to the external hard drive when we would click and drag it. I think the new company we use has fixed the way it is programmed so he says it will copy all the data over now.
Don't take someone else's word for it. Save one to the drive, close it out, then go back to the external drive and open it. Look carefully to make sure all the data was transferred correctly. You can't afford to rely on what someone thinks..

mittman

All-American
Jun 19, 2009
A few weeks ago our computer crashed so all of our documents and everything went with it. We had been using an external hard drive, but for some reason it didn't save all the data so we lost about a years worth of paperwork. Our computer guy told me what all I needed in our new computer, but he also recommended getting a better external hard drive. He likes the Western Digital Passport. I have used Clickfree in the past, but it appears they have changed it up since I bought mine.

Anyway, we got a second hard drive installed on the new computer, and it backs up the content daily to it, but I still want to get an external hard drive to use weekly in case this happens again.

I need something that will save all of our customer's paperwork that we do through Microsoft Access. This will include models, VIN's, etc.
You have a PM :)

tidefanbeezer

All-American
Sep 25, 2006
Atlanta, GA
An on site backup is fine to have but if a disaster occurs on site you'll have no backup to get you going seamlessly again. Depending on your needs, a RAID 5 or Raid 1 setup on your local computer and an off site backup offer the best of both worlds. The off site can be a secure backup server or secure cloud service. If you aren't familiar with all that you should talk to a qualified professional in your area.
This is excellent advice. Have it locally on an external hard drive AND in the could. When it comes to saving vital business paperwork, you can never have too many backups, IMO.

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
What he said. Some kind of onsite backup to protect against hard drive failure plus offsite backup to protect against catastrophe.

Jessica4Bama

Hall of Fame
Nov 7, 2009
Alabama
Don't take someone else's word for it. Save one to the drive, close it out, then go back to the external drive and open it. Look carefully to make sure all the data was transferred correctly. You can't afford to rely on what someone thinks..
Yeah, he told me to go back and check it regularly.

How do I access the second hard drive to make sure it copied completely?

AlistarWills

All-American
Jul 26, 2006
If I'm not mistaken, you are a lawyer right? I'll assume your data contains confidential client information. If you use some sort of cloud service, you need to make sure they are going to cover any identity theft issues in the event your data is breached while in their possession.

Jessica4Bama

Hall of Fame
Nov 7, 2009
Alabama
If I'm not mistaken, you are a lawyer right? I'll assume your data contains confidential client information. If you use some sort of cloud service, you need to make sure they are going to cover any identity theft issues in the event your data is breached while in their possession.
No, I'm not a lawyer. We own a small retail business.

mittman

All-American
Jun 19, 2009
There are solutions that provide a local recovery device which take backups at intervals, then copy to a cloud (or just a different location) storage. Whether a big or small business those are the type we use at our company and recommend.

Leaving it up to someone to copy to an external drive, rotate drives, take them offsite and return them has proven very problematic.

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
Yeah, he told me to go back and check it regularly.

How do I access the second hard drive to make sure it copied completely?
It should be accessible through your system's network. It may be a wired hard drive, and if so it may be connected directly to a single computer; or if wireless, instead of going to "My Computer", you might look into your network. Depending on how it's stored or backed up, it may be either in individual folders or in a backup file.
Due to the numerous methods by which it might be accomplished/accessed, you should ask your IT guy to show you exactly where it's backed up, how to perform those backups manually, and how to access the folders/files.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.