Link: Hard Knocks: Playing Defense With TCU’s Gary Patterson

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Click

I know some of the defensive coaches met with the TCU folks when they visited Tuscaloosa. Wonder if we'll see any of this.

Patterson’s 4-2-5, however, was designed with those challenges in mind. By playing five defensive backs, Patterson almost never needs to substitute to match up with the offense. But the system’s genius runs even deeper: Patterson has cleaved the very structure of his defense into pieces, simultaneously making everything simpler for his players and more complicated for opponents.

“We divide our defense into attack groups,” Patterson explained at a coaching clinic in 2011. Those attack groups are: (1) the four defensive linemen and two linebackers, referred to as the front, (2) one cornerback, the free safety, and the strong safety, and (3) the weak safety and other corner. For most teams, the calls for the front and secondary only work if appropriately paired, but that’s not the case for TCU. “Our fronts and coverages have nothing to do with each other,” Patterson said at the clinic. “The coverage part is separate from the front.”

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
that's an interesting read. Thanks for posting. We already do a lot of the pattern matching and run a lot of the 4-2-5, so in theory it wouldn't be that hard to implement the attack group philosophy they use, and also some of the simplification of the calls...

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Patterson isn’t the only coach who divorces his fronts from his coverage calls — Bill Belichick is another — but Patterson takes the principle as far as I’ve seen by having different coaches call TCU’s fronts and coverages, in many cases independent of each other. “The best system is to have one guy thinking about how to stop the best run play and the best pass rush, and another guy thinking about the best coverage,” Patterson said in 2006. “That’s the ultimate.”
That's the interesting part for me... Makes me wonder if Mel Tucker has a role with CKS.......

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
This explains why Minkah Fitzpatrick star position. I honestly believe we'll use 4-2-5 to some degree.... I've been asking folks for a while if Kirby Smart has made some changes to his defense over the last few months. I don't think we'll see the 4-2-5 much this weekend, but September 19th against Ole miss... Oh boy, we'll see how that goes. I like the idea of two different calls for the front and ths secondary. That's why I said I hpe Mel Tucker has some kind of role with playcalling with Kirby Smart..

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
This explains why Minkah Fitzpatrick star position. I honestly believe we'll use 4-2-5 to some degree.... I've been asking folks for a while if Kirby Smart has made some changes to his defense over the last few months. I don't think we'll see the 4-2-5 much this weekend, but September 19th against Ole miss... Oh boy, we'll see how that goes. I like the idea of two different calls for the front and ths secondary. That's why I said I hpe Mel Tucker has some kind of role with playcalling with Kirby Smart..
We've been using the 4-2-5 as a component since Saban arrived. Even though we claim to be a 3-4 defense as our base, we've played a lot more 4-2 since saban arrived than any other alignment, mostly b/c we've been able to force teams to have to go into passing situations against us by forcing 2, and 3rd and long, then subbing into the pass D.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I'm glad our staff is always trying to get better, but Bama ended up with better stats than TCU in all defensive categories last year: scoring D, total D, rushing D, passing yards allowed, and passing yards per completion.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I'm glad our staff is always trying to get better, but Bama ended up with better stats than TCU in all defensive categories last year: scoring D, total D, rushing D, passing yards allowed, and passing yards per completion.
Yeah, I don't want them to get too much like the defense that gave up 61 points in a game...

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
So he could have one coach thinking pressure with his line group and bring the house while having his defensive back groups settling into a zone with no help in the middle? Surely there must be lots of communication between the coaches to avoid gaping holes in coverage? The whole independent pieces doesn't sound so smart to me.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.