Another fatal shooting by police caught on camera

Catfish

Hall of Fame
Oct 11, 2005
Birmingham
Re: Another fatal shooing by police caught on camera

http://www.cnn.com/2015/09/01/us/san-antonio-bexar-county-texas-police-shooting/index.html#

I just can't imagine what can be said about this one - man is standing there with his hands in the air and they just shoot him...

Man, things are getting crazy out there with cops shooting folks and cops getting killed.
Unfortunately, except for a family member who's a retired officer, I can guarantee you that every cop I know will defend this. Probably with some version of the "being a cop is HARD, y'a'll" defense, combined with "If he'd done what he was told, they wouldn't have had to shoot him". Pretty much the same reason that the 55-year-old, 130-pound Indian guy in Huntsville had to be paralyzed.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
When I tell young people "video is your friend," this is what I mean. Without video evidence from a passerby, this would be a cop vs citizen thing. Most judges and most juries would side with the cop, absent good evidence he is lying about the case.
Now, with the video from a passerby, as Rickie Ricardo said, "Somebody's got some 'splainin' to do."

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
I recommend everyone video encounters with police and let them know it is being video'd and livestreamed. It will keep them a little more honest most of the time if they know a record is being kept.

as for the police shootings - It's getting ridiculous. There's so much to all this that is ridiculous. Sometimes people make me sick. But it will be people who stamp out the stupid, if that can be done. And hopefully by communicating through some means other than violence.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Interesting to me is throughout ALL these incidents......I have yet to see any segments in the media on how to act when involved in a situation involving law enforcement.

In fact - there should be two different parts...how a citizen should act....and how an LEO should act.

Unfortunately common sense alone is not going to do it.

I'll also add that in every one of these incidents fault can be found on one side or the other - but most of the time...BOTH parties are guilty of poor judgement.

I'd love to host a show that analyzes every shooting.....breaking it down step by step.....exposing every single stupid action which led to loss of life.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Interesting to me is throughout ALL these incidents......I have yet to see any segments in the media on how to act when involved in a situation involving law enforcement.

In fact - there should be two different parts...how a citizen should act....and how an LEO should act.

Unfortunately common sense alone is not going to do it.

I'll also add that in every one of these incidents fault can be found on one side or the other - but most of the time...BOTH parties are guilty of poor judgement.

I'd love to host a show that analyzes every shooting.....breaking it down step by step.....exposing every single stupid action which led to loss of life.
Telling people how to act when encountering police is racist and condescending. It only reveals the power difference between the oppressed and the oppressor. Why should anyone change their behavior to stay alive?

Sorry, just paraphrasing some of the stupid senseless dribble I've heard.

Plus, you'll be hard pressed to get someone on a news show to do that on any level. It's ridiculous that it's even necessary. I did not terribly long ago chew a kid up one side and down the other about just this subject while the mother agreed and gave her own commentary. (kid had minor injuries from an encounter)

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
While I would never condone shooting the police, this is what America is coming too, when the "Powers That Be" decided a Militarized police force was needed in our country..Encounters with the police is nothing like it used to be & people or literally scared of the police now days..Until that changes police shootings will not I have a feeling..
Telling people how to act when encountering police is racist and condescending. It only reveals the power difference between the oppressed and the oppressor. Why should anyone change their behavior to stay alive?

Sorry, just paraphrasing some of the stupid senseless dribble I've heard.

Plus, you'll be hard pressed to get someone on a news show to do that on any level. It's ridiculous that it's even necessary. I did not terribly long ago chew a kid up one side and down the other about just this subject while the mother agreed and gave her own commentary. (kid had minor injuries from an encounter)

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
I agree that the police and government in general is not without fault. Some people are directing their anger about things in a very unhealthy direction, though. Some people seem to have lost faith in peaceful demonstrations. This works to the advantage of those who favor anarchy and unrest as a means to change or to uproot the current system. These are the people that encourage this sort of thing and then use it to their own ends. They care not about the cracked eggs if it accelerated the making of the omelet they desire.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
http://www.cnn.com/2015/09/01/us/san-antonio-bexar-county-texas-police-shooting/index.html#

I just can't imagine what can be said about this one - man is standing there with his hands in the air and they just shoot him...

Man, things are getting crazy out there with cops shooting folks and cops getting killed.
I hate to think it -- but my first thought at reading your post was .... "Just like 'they' planned it" -- I hate believing it. Especially since I'm not sure who "they" are -- but I do believe it.

(heavy sigh!) -- it's gonna get much worse before it ever dreams of getting better.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
LE needs to get rid of the bad apples themselves. It's a false economy to think they can cover for someone who is abusing their power.

No wonder they are getting a bad rap and becoming targets.

Part of this they have brought on themselves, as disgusting as that sounds.

It's a given that the media will ALWAYS report any incident involving a cop shooting in a fashion to get as much reaction and outrage as possible.......instead of in a responsible way.

Of course there are plenty of dumb people who put themselves in harm's way no matter what kind of cop we're dealing with - play stupid games win stupid prizes.

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
There was mention in the article on the San Antonio shooting that the video that wasn't shown (second video) is "disturbing". I guess meaning that it may show that the person shot had both hands raised and was unarmed. The video shown in the article shows only one arm raised and the other arm and hand are not visible. I've read a number of statements saying both arms were raised; this may be the case but it can't be determined from the first video made public.

This first video does not bode well for the cops. I suspect that the first shot taken by one officer caused his partner to fire as well unless there was a plan to murder the guy.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
LE needs to get rid of the bad apples themselves. It's a false economy to think they can cover for someone who is abusing their power.

No wonder they are getting a bad rap and becoming targets.

Part of this they have brought on themselves, as disgusting as that sounds.

It's a given that the media will ALWAYS report any incident involving a cop shooting in a fashion to get as much reaction and outrage as possible.......instead of in a responsible way.

Of course there are plenty of dumb people who put themselves in harm's way no matter what kind of cop we're dealing with - play stupid games win stupid prizes.
Usually, police officers are only dealing with people who are the problems in our society: beating their wives or children, assaulting, robbing, raping, or shooting/murdering other people. I just wonder if battle fatigue is justification for some of the shootings by police officers who should not have such a quick finger on their trigger. I know they (some) are in fear of their own lives and sometimes waiting too long to respond ends up with a funeral for a police officer's family.

Who on this board would want to be a police officer knowing that you may not come home for dinner to see the wife and kids or even eat. Who on this board would want to be a police officer right now with whatever lives matter? It is a job where you deal with negatives ALL day unless you have a day off. Some police officers are going to work now and not putting on their uniforms until they are at work for fear of being murdered on the way to work.

I will add that the media is shaking the bushes for any story that they can get on the news before another station can do it. I have less respect for the media than any other profession except politicians and too many of them are lawyers.

One thing I don't like about a certain FoxNews show is that everything they discuss is preceded by "Breaking News" even when there is no breaking news. If the next story was about someone breaking wind, it would be preceded by "Breaking News"! Believe me, I can critique CNN, ABC, NBC, CBS, MSNBC, etc. also!

If I were a police officer now, I'd resign ASAP and join the welfare force.

I'm sure there are some bad police officers, just like there are some bad politicians, lawyers, teachers, doctors, business people, priests, preachers, et al! I guess we are all bad because we have a disease handed down by Adam and Eve! It's in our genes and jeans and it will destroy us.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Police folk have tough jobs. If anyone can't handle it they owe it to themselves, their families, their fellow officers, and the public to quit the force. NOTHING justifies the use of unnecessary deadly force. Were I a police officer I would like to lay my head down at night with a clear conscience to rest peacefully. LEO's deserve our full support right up to the point they become criminals themselves. Past that they deserve double punishment for betraying our trust and abusing the power we handed to them. There is no excuse - NONE - for shooting someone who poses no threat whatsoever.

bama_wayne1

All-American
Jun 15, 2007
I'm glad to say that I've never had an incident where police confronted me. Maybe we also need some lessons on how to avoid that happening. Of course my experience having only lived in 4 states and 6 different cities in the span of my 56 years is limited.

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
I agree that the police and government in general is not without fault. Some people are directing their anger about things in a very unhealthy direction, though. Some people seem to have lost faith in peaceful demonstrations. This works to the advantage of those who favor anarchy and unrest as a means to change or to uproot the current system. These are the people that encourage this sort of thing and then use it to their own ends. They care not about the cracked eggs if it accelerated the making of the omelet they desire.
But the egg is rotten and they will not get a good omelet.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.