Ten last-minute thoughts...

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
In a recent interview, he pointed out that his mother had made a hole in one at 80 and he never had, so he saw no reason he couldn't coach at least that long. There was the 111th report by an internet "journalist" that he was unhappy. That talk had just about died out, but he needed a topic for his blog, so why not make it up?
Yep. And the afternoon host in T'town (Ryan Fowler on 99.1) had the clown on his show this week to give his made up spiel about how Saban is unhappy. Not much of a fan of Fowler and his show for lots of reasons and this adds to it. It was a Finebaum like move.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Isaiah 63:1

All-American
Dec 8, 2005
Probably at 35k or in an airport somewhere
...The fact of the matter is it's something of a crapshoot whenever you make a hire, and I can't see where HC experience is at all predictive.

So I go with Smart because I think he's the most saturated with The Process. Which I think is more predictive than a previous HC spot. Yeah, it would have some risk. Name me someone who (1) would come, and (2) would be riskless.
Whether or not I agree with your conclusion about CKS, I agree with your premise of saturation with the Process being important. As I've bloviated previously, successful executive transitions in the corporate world tend more often than not to be internal hires, whereas "superstar" outside hires tend to perform no better than the market as whole. The man is important, no doubt (see, for example, the CW article in another thread), but without success born of the Process, the man would not be sought out to begin with...

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
Nice read Jess as always. I just cringe to see posts trying to retire our coach though. And as far as Richt is concerned...I hope he stays a long, long time at UGA.

bigjue24

Suspended
Dec 2, 2009
Okeechobee, FL
To touch on what _21 posted above (#8), that is absolutely correct, as long as there are people around who knew what took place. If anyone knows where the bodies are buried, it is he, because he helped bury them. On (5), I just never know how much to credit - or debit - CLK, I'd have to know what kind of mix the offense is between Kiffin and Saban. CNS has been clear that he hires OCs to run his offense. I do think that has changed some with CLK, but I'm not sure that Kiffin is the one who gets stubborn or refuses to make adjustments. I do think he has more autonomy than past OCs...
I agree totally. That's why I would like to see him do it all on his own. CNS has been a little like a the bumpers on the side of bowling lane. He keeps Lane from falling in the ditch, but I do think he has potential if he can learn from past mistakes and the example he has right now.

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
I find it hard to believe that Malzahn would be on the hot seat so quickly, even with another loss to Bama. I think everyone (including barners) could see through the ruse of Chizik's tenure, but I think Gus will only go down quickly if more opponents than just Bama find a way to shut down his offense. Until Saban departs, AU will have a difficult time finding quality replacements that want to share this state with us.
Malzahn being on the hotseat with another mediocre year wouldn't necessarily be deserving, but that's not necessarily the point. The winds of change sweep very quickly across the Plains -- see Dye, Bowden, Tuberville, and Chizik -- and valid or not, the expectations they have placed upon them right now are enormous. With another middling year, viewed through the context of those expectations, and another loss to 'Bama, it's going to get very restless down there, especially if 'Bama continues to hum along under Saban. Again, doesn't necessarily make it right, but if Malzahn ends up 9-4 this year with a loss to 'Bama, he will have a lot on the line come 2016. As obsessed as that entire ecosystem is with Alabama, their program tends to do crazy things when they don't have the perception that they are either ahead of 'Bama (i.e. 2000-2006), or somehow gaining on 'Bama (which they have been largely telling themselves since January 2009, with the notable exception of a few months in the fall of 2012).

I wonder if Ray Perkins would have 1 or 2 good years left in him??
I know you're kidding around with that, but for all of the hatred that was lodged against Perkins, having someone like him around wouldn't be the worst thing. '84 aside -- which honestly was just as much Bryant's blame as it was Perkins' -- Perkins recruited really well and put very good teams on the field in '85 and, especially, in '86. His problem was just that he couldn't deliver in '86 to a level commensurate with the talent he had on hand, and he decided to bail after falling short. Had that '86 team lived up to expectations and potential, we might even win a national title that year, and Perkins stays on for another decade. Instead, we fell short, he felt like he had done as much as he could in Tuscaloosa, and he headed to Tampa. Not the outcome that everyone hoped for in January of '83 when we hired him, of course, but Lord knows you can do much worse (see Curry, Dubose, Price, Shula, etc.).

The good news, at least, is that if we have to make a replacement hire in the reasonably foreseeable future, the program should be in very strong standing, and will be in a far, far better place than it was when Bryant turned over the reins to Perkins. Our head coaching transfer should be much more analogous to, say, Saban-to-Miles at LSU or Tressel-to-Meyer at Ohio State. Nobody wanted to think it, muchless say it, at the time (and many still don't), but the UA program had declined pretty noticeably in the last couple of years under Bryant, and Perkins inherited the job with quite a bit of work to do. We should not have near that same dynamic should we have to make a replacement hire for Saban in the next year or two.

Last edited:

Braveheart

All-SEC
Feb 12, 2006
In regard to expansion, North Carolina and UVA would NEVER, and I do mean NEVER come to the SEC. They look down their collective noses at all SEC schools with the possible exception of Vanderbilt and maybe Florida.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
In regard to expansion, North Carolina and UVA would NEVER, and I do mean NEVER come to the SEC. They look down their collective noses at all SEC schools with the possible exception of Vanderbilt and maybe Florida.
The ACC would have to blow up as an entity, which seems far less likely today than it did a few years ago.

The Big Ten would have to swoop in for another bite (although UNC and UVA would be their top targets too), and FSU/Clemson/Miami/Georgia Tech or some combination thereof would have to bolt to the Big 12 as they were contemplated a couple of years ago.

Then the ACC becomes the AAC and Virginia and North Carolina get over their arrogance quickly.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
The ACC would have to blow up as an entity, which seems far less likely today than it did a few years ago.

The Big Ten would have to swoop in for another bite (although UNC and UVA would be their top targets too), and FSU/Clemson/Miami/Georgia Tech or some combination thereof would have to bolt to the Big 12 as they were contemplated a couple of years ago.

Then the ACC becomes the AAC and Virginia and North Carolina get over their arrogance quickly.
The B1G has been interested in NC, Duke and UVA for decades. Would love to see two of those schools come over.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
The B1G has been interested in NC, Duke and UVA for decades. Would love to see two of those schools come over.
Going past 14 teams, I just don't understand how you would make it work. Going past 16 seems like madness.

You're not really a conference anymore after that, but a league of 2 conferences. The insane part to me is you've trashed your conference's tradition at that point. The schedule is completely unworkable from the perspective of playing everyone in the conference over a reasonable period of time. It's already stretched too thin at 14. And its even a problem in basketball with 16 or 18 conference games.

Having said all that, I can make cases for the SEC and Big Ten alike when it comes to the cream of the ACC crop. Culturally, I think they fit in with the SEC far better. Academically and athletically, they are a better fit in the Big Ten. In the end, I think it would naturally come down to money and either conference could win that battle.

CaliforniaTide

All-American
Aug 9, 2006
Huntsville, AL
I'm always looking at up and coming coaches that are doing well. It is sad to think, but the truth is CNS won't be with us forever. I think a dark horse that could wind up with a shot is Lane Kiffin himself. This would have to be under some certain circumstances though. Another good year for the offense, Kiffin gets another HC job, he then shows that he has learned from his past mistakes, and that he knows how to manage a program as the face/CEO. This could open a door for him.

Let's be honest, the guy is a great recruiter, great at developing QB talent, he has the ability to adjust scheme to match talent, and relates well to the players. I think it's a long shot, but you never know. His real fault has been being able to manage the overall program, and no one does that better than CNS. He has had the opportunity to learn from the master. Who knows what may be rubbing off.
The thing about CLK is that he hated being the CEO while at UT and USC. His formers players raved about his X-and-O knowledge, and the overall game-planning. A lot of the boosters didn't really feel the energy from him when he came to the social events. I just feel there's just as good of a chance that he's happy being a coordinator. I think he's more likely to jump the NFL as a coordinator than take a HC job elsewhere in college football.

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
The thing about CLK is that he hated being the CEO while at UT and USC. His formers players raved about his X-and-O knowledge, and the overall game-planning. A lot of the boosters didn't really feel the energy from him when he came to the social events.
I wouldn't read too much into that. While I'm sure Kiffin felt that way, that sentiment applies to just about every head coach in the country, and it's only very rarely an impediment to someone voluntarily choosing to remain an assistant over being a head coach. The overwhelming majority of guys want the head job -- for control, for status, for money, etc. -- and they are willing to tolerate the extracurricular stuff that comes with having the head job. Kiffin has done that twice before, and I assume he would a third time if the right job came along.

Let's not forget that, in a perfect world for Kiffin, he's still head coach at USC and is rolling over the Pac-12.

Last edited:

Tide Rev

All-American
Mar 22, 2000
Ocean Springs, MS
Great thread and discussion. I share the concern of #5 and LK. I simply still do not trust him. It bothered me he was around in the end of 2013 during the Iron Bowl and the bowl game. We lost both games and then we lose to tOSU last year in similar fashion. I am probably the only one who feels this way but I am trying to trust him more.

gtowntide

All-American
Mar 1, 2011
Memphis,TN.
Muschamp may be successful down at the barn but I've never been impressed with his coaching acumen. He gets mad on the sideline and makes really scary faces that tend to intimidate his players. I don't think he will get a head coach job anytime soon, certainly not at Bama!

Roll Tide 57

1st Team
Oct 20, 2014
Plant City FL
Dang Jess, I like the read but boy, do you know how to stir things up just before kick off.

Bottom line for me is that if THIS defense is everything I heard it was, this is going to be one heck of a year. I do feel good about Henry & Drake, I'm sure there is someone we just don't know about just yet. Receivers & TE's worry me, but with a strong OLine maybe ground & bound returns.
Im not ever gonna have a thought about CNS leaving, not this year. I really do think CLK is going to do a good job. I'm excited about this season.

JessN

Administrator & Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Sorry to take so long to come back in the thread, but I wasn't expecting it to move as quickly as it did from last night to tonight.

Before I answer a couple of the responses, no, I don't think Nick Saban is leaving anytime soon. Like I said up top, this was a collection of scattered topics which is why it became a board post rather than an article. What it boils down to with replacement coaches is that the UA fan base is made up of pockets of people who have a vested interest in certain coaches getting jobs here, whether as assistants or the head coach, whether now or down the road. It can be people they know personally or folks they believe will allow them as fans to become insiders because of prior connections.

The reason Muschamp's name comes up is a little different than Dabo's circumstances. A lot of people are going to want a Saban assistant when Saban finally hangs it up. Muschamp and Jimbo Fisher are Saban assistants who have had success away from Saban (Muschamp as a college DC, Fisher as HC at FSU). It's understandable to want someone like that for continuity's sake. If we're going back to the post-Bryant days, Fisher is the Stallings/Williamson/Ford candidate. The Ray Perkins candidate is probably Jason Garrett with the Dallas Cowboys. Muschamp is Mal Moore. A lot of people will limit their focus there.

In regards to Dabo, he checks off a lot of boxes: Young guy, favors dynamic offense, great recruiter, popular former player who many people still remember in uniform. He is also a man of very public faith. The UA degree, though, by itself is the biggest plus in his column. But he also is more open to allowing people to get close to him and know things about the inner goings-on, perhaps not as much as DuBose was, but still enough that a few people who like to trade in information would benefit from a Dabo Swinney hire. Most of all, though, UA fans for some reason are obsessed with hiring a UA grad and having him be successful. After trying and failing the last three times Bama has gone down that path, I no longer consider a UA degree a positive, I consider it a negative, because I know folks will want to apply the evaluation process differently to alums, and I have no interest in giving a "hometown discount" in regards to analysis.

JessN

Administrator & Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Concerning Richt and to since you somewhat mentioned, Les Miles. If those programs decide to go in another direction, who are they going to get? You know they are going to want to do what we did and hire a successful guy who has proved himself already. Those are few and far in between. How many "proven" guys are looking for a job. LSU would be easier to sell because of the recruiting base in Louisiana, Georgia, not so much.
Todd Graham would jump at the chance to take a truly premier job somewhere, particularly since Arizona State is not known for either patience or for having a realistic take on where it really stands as in institution within the college football landscape.

But either LSU or Georgia is capable of plucking a coach out of the NFL. I think John Harbaugh might want to try college coaching at some point. Pete Carroll is a possibility but his age is catching up to him. Same thing with Tom Coughlin. Bruce Arians might be a possibility for someone. There are a host of NFL assistants, some of them former head coaches, who might be candidates. I think Jason Garrett would be a good fit somewhere. I see a lot of Saban in his demeanor. I believe LSU or UGA could outspend FSU for Jimbo Fisher. I wonder whether James Franklin would want to come back south in a couple of years. Bob Stoops is a possibility. Point being, there won't be a shortage of names available and so long as LSU or UGA doesn't panic, they could each get a top-flight coach.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.