Ten last-minute thoughts...

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
agreed with all points Jess especially about UGA and Richt. UGA fans may want Richt fired Sunday if UGA doesn't beat ULM 60-0. these people are expecting a title this year and most have already marked it down.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I'm just trying to figure out who in their right mind would think Alabama would hire Will Muschamp as a head coach until he does something more than get fired at Florida.

tidefanbeezer

All-American
Sep 25, 2006
Atlanta, GA
Great read.

Question on point number one: from what I've read, Bateman is much more mobile and athletic than Coker and Morris. Could he be used in a similar manner to Sims, making preparation for Bateman different than for Coker and Morris (I'm assuming Cornwell and Barnett are no-go for starting the opener)? That might explain some of the secrecy.

I understand that he may not be as gifted a runner as Sims, but if he's "Aaron Rogers mobile", that could cause a defense to prepare differently vs. the other two.

TiderMan

All-SEC
Feb 5, 2005
Moody, AL.
Concerning Richt and to since you somewhat mentioned, Les Miles. If those programs decide to go in another direction, who are they going to get? You know they are going to want to do what we did and hire a successful guy who has proved himself already. Those are few and far in between. How many "proven" guys are looking for a job. LSU would be easier to sell because of the recruiting base in Louisiana, Georgia, not so much.
The recruiting base in Georgia is bigger than in Louisiana.

Georgia averaged 158 Division 1 recruits per year from 2008-2013. Louisiana averaged 83 per year.
Louisiana did lead the nation in recruits per capita but Georgia just has a much bigger population.

http://www.footballstudyhall.com/2013/9/11/4718442/college-football-state-texas-california-florida

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
Re: #3

There is no acumen at UGA because there is a lack of knowledge of what they need. When you have always had hamburgers you don't know that you need to try steak. The PTB are perfectly happy with their hamburgers.

Last edited:

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
agreed with all points Jess especially about UGA and Richt. UGA fans may want Richt fired Sunday if UGA doesn't beat ULM 60-0. these people are expecting a title this year and most have already marked it down.
I`ll ditto this from over in Savannah. UGA needs to win BIG this year. It`s damned sure expected. If they don`t win some sort of title this year, it`ll be fun to watch.

AlistarWills

All-American
Jul 26, 2006
The recruiting base in Georgia is bigger than in Louisiana.

Georgia averaged 158 Division 1 recruits per year from 2008-2013. Louisiana averaged 83 per year.
Louisiana did lead the nation in recruits per capita but Georgia just has a much bigger population.

http://www.footballstudyhall.com/2013/9/11/4718442/college-football-state-texas-california-florida
Let me sort of correct what I said. The Louisiana recruiting base, at least at one time, produced a higher number of NFL quality players than anywhere else. If I'm not mistaken, that was one of the things that drew Saban from Michigan St to LSU. That my have changed now, I don't know.

bigjue24

Suspended
Dec 2, 2009
Okeechobee, FL
I'm always looking at up and coming coaches that are doing well. It is sad to think, but the truth is CNS won't be with us forever. I think a dark horse that could wind up with a shot is Lane Kiffin himself. This would have to be under some certain circumstances though. Another good year for the offense, Kiffin gets another HC job, he then shows that he has learned from his past mistakes, and that he knows how to manage a program as the face/CEO. This could open a door for him.

Let's be honest, the guy is a great recruiter, great at developing QB talent, he has the ability to adjust scheme to match talent, and relates well to the players. I think it's a long shot, but you never know. His real fault has been being able to manage the overall program, and no one does that better than CNS. He has had the opportunity to learn from the master. Who knows what may be rubbing off.

I was a little broken hearted when Jim McElwain went to UF. I was hoping he would take another step up, and show his coaching ability at another Power 5 school, such as, an Iowa, Rutgers, Kansas type program, and then come back to Bama.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
FYI - most Clemson fans believe Dabo will replace Saban.
That's just their attempt to think Clemson is highly respected.
A big "NO" to CWM!!!

Dabo? If it's assumed we'll have to go down a coaching "notch" after CNS, we could do ALOT worse than Dabo. I'm not saying I think he's the best fit, but who would be ideal?

An assistant like Smart? CLK? Christobal? We wouldn't hire an assistant from another school would we?

On Clemson fans? I actually think it's respect for Bama that they know he'd crawl on broken glass to get back to coach at Alabama and their program isn't on equal footing to keep him there.

I also think you have to consider that Dabo's teams have gotten better and better and it may not be that he's topped out as a coach, but Clemson has topped out as a program that will never be able to accomplish what a program like Bama, OSU or other top programs can do.

For the record, I hope CNS stays 16 more years! But I think Dabo would do just about as well as anyone who might try to follow him. JMHO.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Go read the thread about the Crimson and White exclusive on Coach Saban recruiting for other sports in the AD.

That's the level of irreplaceable he is. I hate the day when we'll have to do it. There isn't a coach out there on his level. Not even close. But I do know guys like Muschamp and Swinney aren't even in the same Universe.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Go read the thread about the Crimson and White exclusive on Coach Saban recruiting for other sports in the AD.

That's the level of irreplaceable he is. I hate the day when we'll have to do it. There isn't a coach out there on his level. Not even close. But I do know guys like Muschamp and Swinney aren't even in the same Universe.
I agree that Muschamp and Swinney are not in the same universe as CNS. But I think it's also true that Muschamp and Dabo aren't in the same universe. CWM was a disaster as a head coach. Dabo, as a head coach, is 61-26 at Clemson and 39-14 in conference play. If you remove his first three years and just go on the last five, his record is pretty doggone good!

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
Great insight. I enjoyed reading that, and as always your write ups are fantastic.

On the Dabo situation, I thought I had read on this board from one of the mods that this door closed a long time ago because of some things Swinney did when he was an assistant coach here during Dubose's tenure. Isn't this correct? Of course, things could have changed with his success at Clemson. Could someone who knows about this let us know if it still the case? I am not in favor of him coming to Bama. Jess, your evaluation of him is spot on.

Last edited:

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
I would rather take someone already on our staff as the next head coach over either CWM or CDS.

Sent from my LG-V410 using Tapatalk

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
Great insight. I enjoyed reading that, and as always your write up are fantastic.

On the Dabo situation, I thought I had read on this board from one of the mods that this door had closed a long time ago because of some things Swinney had done when he was an assistant coach here during Dubose's tenure. Isn't this correct? Of course, things could have changed with his success at Clemson. Could someone who knows about this let us know if it still the case? I am not in favor of him coming to Bama. Jess, your evaluation of him is spot on.
That's my understanding and I'm in absolute agreement with you that I do not want DS within 100 miles of Tuscaloosa. Though he was never OFFICIALLY individually implicated, Dabo was a part of the staff that helped bring our program to its knees back in 2000, something it took basically 8 yrs for us to recover from with the help of Saban, of course. I would consider it very, very unlikely that he would EVER be considered as a HC candidate here at Alabama.

IF Dabo comes back to Alabama at all, it will probably be to retire on Lake Logan Martin or in Pell City.

Last edited:

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
To touch on what _21 posted above (#8), that is absolutely correct, as long as there are people around who knew what took place. If anyone knows where the bodies are buried, it is he, because he helped bury them. On (5), I just never know how much to credit - or debit - CLK, I'd have to know what kind of mix the offense is between Kiffin and Saban. CNS has been clear that he hires OCs to run his offense. I do think that has changed some with CLK, but I'm not sure that Kiffin is the one who gets stubborn or refuses to make adjustments. I do think he has more autonomy than past OCs...

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
Once the coaching carousel starts turning in Nov/Dec, I wonder if some of these coaches that Jess mentions might just switch places. I've read on some OU boards that Stoops might bolt Oklahoma at some point and that there might be some mutual interest between him and LSU. Not sure I believe that one, because I happen to think OU is going to have a great season this year with a retooled staff and Lincoln Riley as OC, but stranger things have happened.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.