Link: Saban Confirms Some Message Board Talk - Cyrus Might Play Some Offense

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Click

Senior cornerback Cyrus Jones was undoubtedly Alabama’s most consistent player at his position last season. He registered 44 total tackles and a team-high 13 pass breakups and three interceptions.

But on Wednesday evening, during his post-practice press conference, Crimson Tide head coach Nick Saban hinted at the possibility of Jones seeing some snaps on the offensive side of the football this fall.

“We’ve tried to do some things with him on offense, and he has gotten some reps there,” Saban said. “We may use him at some point. It’ll be interesting to see how the other players that we have respond and see if we need to do that.

“Cyrus is a real strong part of our defense at a really important position the way we play. We’ve got to have good corners, and he certainly played well for us last year. But that is a consideration that we may use him on offense at some point in time during the season.”

DC Tide

1st Team
Sep 13, 2007
Saban: “We may use him at some point. It’ll be interesting to see how the other players that we have respond and see if we need to do that."
I wonder if this stratagem is designed more to prod the slot receivers (Chris Black, in particular?) than to trouble opposing defenses.

AlistarWills

All-American
Jul 26, 2006
This is not totally out of left field. Cyrus was a WR and wore #8 when he came to Bama. Played some as a true freshman in that role if I'm not just horribly mistaken. I recall he's pretty electric with the ball in hand.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
If we were short at the WR position - i'd get it. But, he's not a freakish athlete who needs 10 touches a game. Not sure what he can provide on the offensive side of the ball that he's needed over the WRs we already have. He's not a Prothro, Millons, Palmer type player....

Is he faster than anyone else? Don't think so. Taller? No...... I don't get it....

To me, only something bad can come from this.

Loam

All-SEC
Oct 20, 2014
I'm not sure if I should be excited about this or worried about this.
49ers had Jerry Rice and John Taylor and played Deion Sanders at WR some. If you have a play maker on defense, play them on O and see what happens.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
If we were short at the WR position - i'd get it. But, he's not a freakish athlete who needs 10 touches a game. Not sure what he can provide on the offensive side of the ball that he's needed over the WRs we already have. He's not a Prothro, Millons, Palmer type player....

Is he faster than anyone else? Don't think so. Taller? No...... I don't get it....

To me, only something bad can come from this.
I may be mistaken, but I believe he is one of the fastest players on the team.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
I may be mistaken, but I believe he is one of the fastest players on the team.
Even though -- it's not like we are lacking at the WR position. Will Cyrus Jones strike fear into the opposing defense where he will garner double teams or anything? I just am not seeing the reason.

But, I am also not the coach....or even an educated football guy. So, I will defer to Coach Saban.

tidefanbeezer

All-American
Sep 25, 2006
Atlanta, GA
49ers had Jerry Rice and John Taylor and played Deion Sanders at WR some. If you have a play maker on defense, play them on O and see what happens.
Agreed. But Cyrus is not Deion Sanders. See Cajun's post above yours. He's not a transcendent athlete that can change the game with just a few touches on the offensive side of the ball. I don't get it. I think the risk far outweighs the reward in this case, especially given the talent we have available at WR.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Guys, think about it for a moment. There might be a package where He could be on the field for five plays on offense throughout the game. It's not bad at all. It increase his marketability for NFL especially theyre doing the same with Drake as WR and RB. I wouldnt be suprised to see Delionte Thompson ( I know I spelled his first name wrong) play some WR next year or so... Think about it.. You have Drake and Jones playing multiple positions.... NFL will take notice of that.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I think I get what the team is doing... last year we were kinda predictable on offense. This year with advise from Ohio State and other teams.. we've changed lot of things within offense and defense. We're going to make it hard for the teams to plan against us. THey don't know who's gonna line up where and what. They don't know what happens if Drake motions out.. or Jones as blocking or run a vertical play. They don't know if it's play action or what. I don't think we'll see Jones until mid season...

dayhiker

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Dec 8, 2000
Pell City, AL
Agreed. But Cyrus is not Deion Sanders. See Cajun's post above yours. He's not a transcendent athlete that can change the game with just a few touches on the offensive side of the ball. I don't get it. I think the risk far outweighs the reward in this case, especially given the talent we have available at WR.
Maybe teh people that watch and run all of the practice's see something that we don't know about.

mrusso

1st Team
Apr 17, 2006
Maybe teh people that watch and run all of the practice's see something that we don't know about.
Pfffttt. Whatever! You act like the coaches know more than about the players than we do. HA! Please take your common sense talk somewhere else.

dayhiker

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Dec 8, 2000
Pell City, AL
Pfffttt. Whatever! You act like the coaches know more than about the players than we do. HA! Please take your common sense talk somewhere else.
How dare you imply that the on the field professional coaches have more information than I do from behind my computer monitor. Heretic.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Probably mistaken, but didn't he return a few kicks or punts as a freshman?

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.