Question: Hello, and now for my first question

Harmless

BamaNation Citizen
Sep 3, 2015
Franklin, TN
Good day from a new member. I am a lifelong Arkansas fan but was drawn to this board by its good content, our mutual dislike of Auburn, and my admiration for the Alabama football program.

My first question relates to the Bama quarterback situation. I have read many news stories about the QB competition. They left me confused. No one I found had much of an angle on what is going on. My guess is that the Tide has several similar players and is looking for any leadership differences. A couple of stories portrayed the situation as -- older players less talented, most talented = least experience.

Does anyone know the real story? Thanks.

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL
The real story is somewhere in between what you've read.

That being said, Jacob Coker will be Alabama's starter Saturday. And he, along with all the other QBs on the roster, only need to be good enough to turn around and hand it off. Aside from that, he can, in spots, make throws that leave you wowed. And on the other hand, he makes some not so good throws/decisions that wow you equally in the other direction.

I think a lot more has been made about the QB conversation than is necessary. Come Saturday night, Bama fans should feel comfortable...not cocky (as if we could be any more cocky), but comfortable. And the rest of the league....well....let's just say rumors of our demise have been greatly exaggerated

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
Bama has been known as Running Back U and Linebacker U for most of our history. We are starting to become D Line U. But QB U is not a moniker that applies to us so it's not really a surprise we haven't named one yet. Coker is your starter though - Roll Tide...Natty Champs or bust! Good luck with UTEP.

Bamaboda1

Suspended
Sep 1, 2006
Kathleen, GA
Hi Harmless...I think your insight is probably as good as anyone elses. My take is that all of the QBs are pretty good. Maybe not great this year, but who knows? A preseason assessment of college age men (as with most young men) is a real shot in the dark. One may show up and light up the board, or, just as likely one may break up with a girlfriend the night before the game and crawl in a hole. Coach Saban has said he is confident that any one of them can do the job, but, as you pointed out, he's looking for separation in leadership, ability or both. I think we have to take him at his word. Also, I have enjoyed watching the Arkansas teams over the years, and I really look for you guys to take a big step forward this year! Good luck on the season (except, of course, for one game in particular.) Welcome to the board.

Harmless

BamaNation Citizen
Sep 3, 2015
Franklin, TN
Thanks for the replies. I have been spending more time thinking about Bama, in part because I cannot figure out why ESPN talking heads are picking LSU to win the SEC. Everything they have appears to be a weak facsimile of what Alabama has.

FitToBeTide

All-American
Aug 19, 2001
St. Florian
Thanks for the replies. I have been spending more time thinking about Bama, in part because I cannot figure out why ESPN talking heads are picking LSU to win the SEC. Everything they have appears to be a weak facsimile of what Alabama has.
We love flying under the radar. Doesn't hurt our feelings. Let them pick away.

Nolan

Hall of Fame
Jul 4, 2006
Oahu
That's an interesting way to put it. Simply said, I think most experts want to predict someone, anyone, other than Alabama.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
That's an interesting way to put it. Simply said, I think most experts want to predict someone, anyone, other than Alabama.

I`ve never been a proponent of the existence of black helicopters, but I have to admit that sometime I do get that impression.

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame
Good day from a new member. I am a lifelong Arkansas fan but was drawn to this board by its good content, our mutual dislike of Auburn, and my admiration for the Alabama football program.

My first question relates to the Bama quarterback situation. I have read many news stories about the QB competition. They left me confused. No one I found had much of an angle on what is going on. My guess is that the Tide has several similar players and is looking for any leadership differences. A couple of stories portrayed the situation as -- older players less talented, most talented = least experience.

Does anyone know the real story? Thanks.
Welcome to the board, although I must say I'm a little disappointed in your username. You Hawgs usually have some entertaining usernames! ;)

gtowntide

All-American
Mar 1, 2011
Memphis,TN.
Welcome Harmless. You have chosen the best board to join. What is your take on the Hogs now that your #1 running back is out?

TideWatcher

All-SEC
Dec 11, 2006
newton county, ms
You are hinting at a lot of confidence in Bama this year. You making any predictions?
The real story is somewhere in between what you've read.

That being said, Jacob Coker will be Alabama's starter Saturday. And he, along with all the other QBs on the roster, only need to be good enough to turn around and hand it off. Aside from that, he can, in spots, make throws that leave you wowed. And on the other hand, he makes some not so good throws/decisions that wow you equally in the other direction.

I think a lot more has been made about the QB conversation than is necessary. Come Saturday night, Bama fans should feel comfortable...not cocky (as if we could be any more cocky), but comfortable. And the rest of the league....well....let's just say rumors of our demise have been greatly exaggerated

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
Loss to UGA or TAMU and that's it. At most. No more losses period.
Anything can happen and UGA has a lot of talent in every other phase of the game but why should a one-dimensional offensive team pose such a threat ?

Also, you don't seem to have the regard for AU that some have. Will you elaborate ?

I share your concern about A&M, though I don't think Chavis will have the same success as when he was somewhat protected by the power run game of LSU and UT.

Thanks

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL
My concern with A&M isn't as much about them as it is us. We go from a slug fest with Arkansas to having to fly around the field with them the next week (same as going from LSU to them in '12).

I'm not buying Auburn. I don't care that Muschamp is there. They can have good Xs and Os. They lack depth with Jimmies and Joes. From 1-11 om defense, they're stout but after that.....

And I've said this since Gus got there...this isn't even a football observation...it's common sense...if you're off the field in 4 minutes in real time (whether you score, turn it over or punt), your defense is going to get tired and wear down late. That offense just isn't conducive to having a dominant defense.

Same thing at A&M. Chief will make it more simple for the guys there and the one or two freak athletes on defense (like Garrett) will probably put up all American numbers, but unless you control the game in such a way that you can allow your defense to regroup and refresh , you better be scoring 55 points a game because they're vulnerable to give up 50

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.