CNS comment on QB last night on Hey Coach

bamamc1

Hall of Fame
Oct 24, 2011
Haleyville, AL
Just to paraphrase he said "We've got 2 guys that have never played in a game before." Are we looking at Bateman and Morris as the 2?

AlistarWills

All-American
Jul 26, 2006
I didn't catch all the show. What was the context of that statement? Need more than 12 words to figure out what he meant.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Nick Saban says Alabama QB battle down to 2

Then there were two.

Nick Saban gave a little more insight into Alabama's quarterback competition on his radio show Thursday night. But it was cryptic.

Asked if he'd made a decision about the battle, Saban added some insight.

"Look, we have two guys that have really done a nice job in the last couple weeks that we have confidence in, that I believe in that can win the game and do a really good job with the quarterback position," Saban said.

He didn't identify either quarterback.

"Neither one of them have really ever done it in the game so to me, the final sorta proof in the pudding is who can go do it best in the game," Saban said. "So how do you know who can do that. You can only speculate, as a coach, how they did in practice."

AlistarWills

All-American
Jul 26, 2006
So the "really" part could mean Coker cause frankly, he's been in games, but never "really" been in the fire. I know he went in one game when Sims got hurt but didn't stay long. So this is all up in the air. I'm going with my gut and saying Henry is the starting QB by taking a direct snap in the Wildcat Formation a la Mark Ingram the year McElroy won the job.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
At this point I suspect that Coach Saban is just yanking our collective chains. In his job he has to make his own fun. ;)
I agree, I bet he's known for several weeks who would start, but sees an advantage in keeping everybody guessing.
From my standpoint, it has certainly ramped up the excitement of the season opening.

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
does anyone believe that a guy that has eaten the same exact breakfast (including the exact amount of time he microwaves his coffee) for the last 25 years doesn't know who his starting QB is the day before the opening game?

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
So the "really" part could mean Coker cause frankly, he's been in games, but never "really" been in the fire. I know he went in one game when Sims got hurt but didn't stay long. So this is all up in the air. I'm going with my gut and saying Henry is the starting QB by taking a direct snap in the Wildcat Formation a la Mark Ingram the year McElroy won the job.

^^^^This

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
And I don't follow OSU but maybe B1G can enlighten us: is there this much racket over Urban the Turban not naming a starter? Last I heard he hadn't named a starter either.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
And I don't follow OSU but maybe B1G can enlighten us: is there this much racket over Urban the Turban not naming a starter? Last I heard he hadn't named a starter either.
Well Urban is choosing between Superman, Hulk, and Iron Man. We have to pick between Larry, Moe and Curly, right?

Nolan

Hall of Fame
Jul 4, 2006
Oahu
does anyone believe that a guy that has eaten the same exact breakfast (including the exact amount of time he microwaves his coffee) for the last 25 years doesn't know who his starting QB is the day before the opening game?
Ha ha, well put. I'm gonna throw out a guess and we'll know soon enough - but I think the 2 final candidates are Coker and Bateman.

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
I agree, I bet he's known for several weeks who would start, but sees an advantage in keeping everybody guessing.
From my standpoint, it has certainly ramped up the excitement of the season opening.
I'm with you on this. I find it hard to believe the best coach that college football has seen in decades has no clue who the starter is.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.