CNS comment on QB last night on Hey Coach

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Knowing the starter for tomorrow doesn't mean he knows the starter for the entire season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame
I'll go on record to say that I believe Saban handles a new starting QB like this every time to take the pressure off of them. This is nothing new, folks. This happened with AJ/Sims in 2011 and with Blake/Coker last year. People were freaking out in 2011 and REALLY freaking out last year. I believe that Saban believes having guys with the mindset of "I am competing for this job." is better than going into unknown as "OMG, I am the starter!" and the pressure and anxiety that goes with it.

It is also worth noting than probably more people than not were wrong about the last 2 starting QB's.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
Absolutely nobody knows nothin for certainlol. Fan Duel has Bateman, Coker,and Morris, all with a salary of 5,900.00 for tomorrow night's fantasy league.
I think I might take a gamble on Coker because, I think it will ultimately be his position to lose and that is darn cheap for a Quarterback.
sip

bodiddle

All-SEC
May 14, 2006
Absolutely nobody knows nothin for certainlol. Fan Duel has Bateman, Coker,and Morris, all with a salary of 5,900.00 for tomorrow night's fantasy league.
I think I might take a gamble on Coker because, I think it will ultimately be his position to lose and that is darn cheap for a Quarterback.
sip
Sip I am going with you. The fact that you were right last year is good enough for me.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
Sip I am going with you. The fact that you were right last year is good enough for me.
I appreciate that Bo. This year is a little different. There's no fifth year senior involved. So there's no hint of a "loyalty factor", and no one who deserves, "at least one chance".
I'm just thinking Coker because he was the starter in the A-Day game.
Personally, I'd love to see Bateman get a chance, but since there's absolutely no info coming from Coach Saban, I'll take my chances on what "was", rather than "what might be".
Roll Tide Roll Bro!
sip

Roll Tide 57

1st Team
Oct 20, 2014
Plant City FL
I appreciate that Bo. This year is a little different. There's no fifth year senior involved. So there's no hint of a "loyalty factor", and no one who deserves, "at least one chance".
Personally, I'd love to see Bateman get a chance, but since there's absolutely no info coming from Coach Saban, I'll take my chances on what "was", rather than "what might be".
Roll Tide Roll Bro!
sip
As usual, great post! If Coker starts CNS did it for all the reasons you said. If someone else CLK pick em & coach went along & would explain delays.

We will see tonight!

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
And I don't follow OSU but maybe B1G can enlighten us: is there this much racket over Urban the Turban not naming a starter? Last I heard he hadn't named a starter either.
No, because we know that any one of them is good enough to win a championship. No anxiety, but we still chatter and wonder .

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
does anyone believe that a guy that has eaten the same exact breakfast (including the exact amount of time he microwaves his coffee) for the last 25 years doesn't know who his starting QB is the day before the opening game?
Yup, he's had a pretty good idea for awhile but just wanted to leave the door open for someone else to step up instead since they are close in abilities.

BamaBuc

All-American
May 12, 2003
St. Pete Beach, FL
crimson-fan.neocities.org
Roll Tide Roll Bro!
sip
Since enrolling at 'Bama, Coker has completed 64.4 percent of his passes (38-of-59) for 403 yards and four touchdowns ... had a passer efficiency rating of 144.16 ... did not throw an interception ... rushed seven times for 13 yards and took three sacks.
Taking the Sacks would be a concern for me, I'd sure be working with him on throwing it out of bounds!
Although it is a small sample size, and at mop-up time, the numbers aren't that bad...

Just Win

All-SEC
Dec 22, 2003
Alabaster, AL, USA
It doesn't really matter who starts at QB and who plays in the game today for us. Since when has an Alabama football team ever had the QB as the focus of what we do? All we need is a guy who's adequate, smart, knows the offense, and makes good decisions. We know they can all throw the football and play the QB position, otherwise they wouldn't have been successful high school QB's and wouldn't have been as highly recruited as they were. Good grief, Ohio State trotted out their 3rd stringer to beat us and win a national title. That just goes to show you that if a team is loaded all the way around, the QB doesn't have to be the center of attention. This topic about our QB is severely overrated and just fodder for talk radio, TV, and internet chatter. Once the lights come on tonight, hopefully this topic will be put to bed.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Think we may know the two guys referenced by Saban. At the beginning of Gameday, Herbstreit made a comment along the lines of "It's Jake Coker or Cooper Bateman. Fans wonder which one." I flipped over to SEC Nation a little bit later. Rinaldi interviewed CNS, and he made the same comment about two guys that he made on Hey Coach.

Herbie might have given us the two guys without realizing it. I can see him knowing because CNS probably mentioned them to him when talking in Dallas yesterday.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
Problem in naming a QB early is that sometimes the other QBs slack up. ALSO... Naming a QB early allows everybody to scheme for that one QB.
I expect to see Cooper then Bateman... (I was wrong once, but that was a long time ago...) ;) RTR.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
Think we may know the two guys referenced by Saban. At the beginning of Gameday, Herbstreit made a comment along the lines of "It's Jake Coker or Cooper Bateman. Fans wonder which one." I flipped over to SEC Nation a little bit later. Rinaldi interviewed CNS, and he made the same comment about two guys that he made on Hey Coach.

Herbie might have given us the two guys without realizing it. I can see him knowing because CNS probably mentioned them to him when talking in Dallas yesterday.
I guess I haven't been paying enough attention. I thought Batemen was in the doghouse and it was either Coker or Morris:conf2:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.