Jerry's World Half Full

asteele327

Jun 18, 2015
That's an expensive trip for them. 15+ hours to drive it vs. several hundred bucks to fly. I went to the Final Four in Indy this year and they really didn't travel all that well until they played Duke in the Finals, even though they had one of the shorter trips. When you can spend almost no money to watch it on TV, it tends to outweigh the trip in their minds.

MN-Tide

1st Team
Jan 2, 2007
Minneapolis, MN
I have heard that some Bama fans are staying away, because they plan to go to the USC game in Dallas next year. I guess that's what happens when you schedule the same team for the same venue two years in a row.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
If they cared about attendance, they'd do home and home games, not neutral site games. These games are way too expensive, and TV makes it a no brainer choice for the majority of fans.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Home and home is the way to go but I'm sure we'll get schooled as to why this is a good thing.
Yes, you are a bad fan for not agreeing with Saban on playing neutral site games every year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
If they cared about attendance, they'd do home and home games, not neutral site games. These games are way too expensive, and TV makes it a no brainer choice for the majority of fans.
Home and home is the way to go but I'm sure we'll get schooled as to why this is a good thing.
That's what I think too.

I think Saban values the national exposure these type games bring, played on a neutral field out of state, more than he values the Bama fans being able to afford attending the games. I like the way he recruits nationally, so his approach seems to be working very well. But I'm sorry to see the average fan priced out of attending more games.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Heck I've been priced out of attending regular home games against Sun Belt opponents. Most folks just simply can't afford this nonsense, and given the choice (since we do this every year), they are going to pick waiting to go to the USC game next year. Wisconsin fans made their choice to go last year to see the Badgers play LSU.

I get it. The schools will make money whether the stadium is empty or full. And that's all it is about, well I'm sure recruiting exposure doesn't hurt either. Yes, it is what it is, and I'll watch and enjoy the game. But seeing someone like Wisconsin run out onto the field at Bryant-Denny, or seeing Alabama play in Madison, would be far more intriguing.

Edited to add: Also, I saw where LSU was going to have a halftime show for a couple of games this year, a la a Super Bowl halftime show. No bands. They're killing the college football I know and love.

Last edited:

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
National exposure aside, it seems quite plausible that the guaranteed money for this game is worth more than 50% of a home game revenue for Wisconsin. Either way, I'm not buying that Alabama fans really wanted to travel to Madison, however the trip to Arlington is a pretty long one as well.

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006
There is a positive to a half empty stadium.... Beer lines and bathroom lines will be shorter as will the entry into to the stadium and traffic after the game won't be as bad!

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
National exposure aside, it seems quite plausible that the guaranteed money for this game is worth more than 50% of a home game revenue for Wisconsin. Either way, I'm not buying that Alabama fans really wanted to travel to Madison, however the trip to Arlington is a pretty long one as well.
Bryant-Denny to Jerry World....604 miles
Bryant-Denny to Camp Randall Stadium...867 miles

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Heck I've been priced out of attending regular home games against Sun Belt opponents. Most folks just simply can't afford this nonsense, and given the choice (since we do this every year), they are going to pick waiting to go to the USC game next year. Wisconsin fans made their choice to go last year to see the Badgers play LSU.

I get it. The schools will make money whether the stadium is empty or full. And that's all it is about, well I'm sure recruiting exposure doesn't hurt either. Yes, it is what it is, and I'll watch and enjoy the game. But seeing someone like Wisconsin run out onto the field at Bryant-Denny, or seeing Alabama play in Madison, would be far more intriguing.

Edited to add: Also, I saw where LSU was going to have a halftime show for a couple of games this year, a la a Super Bowl halftime show. No bands. They're killing the college football I know and love.
The college game I know and have loved for nearly 50 years is dead and gone never to be resurrected. It is what it was.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
Don't listen to the radio much, but earlier this week I heard a radio spot: "Get your tickets now, before they are all gone!" Did not hear that, when we played UM.

A bidnis associate (TxTech grad) went to that game and called it "the most miserable game experience I have ever been to." All of that was directed at Jerruh: tickets, parking, concessions way too expensive and too hot to be comfortable.

I seem to recall last year's game did not sell very well. Poor, poor Jerruh.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
Don't listen to the radio much, but earlier this week I heard a radio spot: "Get your tickets now, before they are all gone!" Did not hear that, when we played UM.

A bidnis associate (TxTech grad) went to that game and called it "the most miserable game experience I have ever been to." All of that was directed at Jerruh: tickets, parking, concessions way too expensive and too hot to be comfortable.

I seem to recall last year's game did not sell very well. Poor, poor Jerruh.
Trust me, Jerry's making money off of this. He probably had a guarantee of some sort. The worst venue in the nation for us to play is probably Texas. I don't think they like us very much.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.