Jerry's World Half Full

fundytide

1st Team
Oct 22, 1999
Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
That's an expensive trip for them. 15+ hours to drive it vs. several hundred bucks to fly...
Last year I attended my first Bama game in Tuscaloosa vs. MSU. My wife and I left home at 4:30am on Thursday to catch a 6:30am flight from Halifax to Toronto then 9:30am flight from Toronto to Atlanta. We picked up a rental car at the airport in Atlanta around 12:30pm and drove from there to our hotel in Hoover where we arrived at about 7 pm (Mrs. Fundy wanted to shop at the Summit on the way) that night.

We drove to campus from Hoover early on Friday to see campus then back to Hoover that night around 10pm and the same on game day. On Sunday morning we left Hoover at about 9am for Altanta to catch a 2pm flight to Toronto then a flight from Toronto to Halifax and were home around midnight before going back to work the next morning. Flights were about $1200, hotel was about $450, rental car $220 or so and probably a few hundred more on food and Bama gear we brought home with us. Boo Radley was kind enough to give us two tickets to the game at no charge despite our efforts to pay him at least face value. We very likely would not have made the trip without his help and generosity- just too expensive.

So, we traveled about 15 hours each way and spent about $2,000 for the trip. I've been a Bama fan for 30 years and had been longing to go to see a game in Bryant Denny for a very long time but with that kind of expense involved, I could always find a financial reason not to do it in those years when it was even financially possible.

Needless to say, it was a thrill of a lifetime and worth every penny. We would love to go to a game this year but its just not in the cards this year. But in my limited experience there is simply no comparison at all between watching at home on TV and being there live. Maybe it gets old after awhile (I'd love to find out for myself) but I still get chills just remembering being there.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Don't listen to the radio much, but earlier this week I heard a radio spot: "Get your tickets now, before they are all gone!" Did not hear that, when we played UM.

A bidnis associate (TxTech grad) went to that game and called it "the most miserable game experience I have ever been to." All of that was directed at Jerruh: tickets, parking, concessions way too expensive and too hot to be comfortable.

I seem to recall last year's game did not sell very well. Poor, poor Jerruh.
i went to the bama-um game at jerry world and hated it (the venue, that is). will never go back. it was an assault on the senses.

HMM

All-SEC
Sep 1, 2007
I've seen maybe a hand full of Wisconsin fans here. And a bunch of the good guys in crimson. We will at least represent tomorrow. It was an expensive trip and likely my only one this year unless we go to Atlanta. Which last year wasn't full so we were able to move to better seats. Being able to do the same tomorrow would be okay with me!

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
If they cared about attendance, they'd do home and home games, not neutral site games. These games are way too expensive, and TV makes it a no brainer choice for the majority of fans.
Yep. I went out there for the Michigan game a few years ago, but these games aren't rare and/or special when you play in them every year. Most folks, myself included, can't rationalize spending that much money every year. I have other things that I prioritize as much more important, especially when I can watch it for free in a more comfortable chair with friends, food, and drink.

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006
I've seen maybe a hand full of Wisconsin fans here. And a bunch of the good guys in crimson. We will at least represent tomorrow. It was an expensive trip and likely my only one this year unless we go to Atlanta. Which last year wasn't full so we were able to move to better seats. Being able to do the same tomorrow would be okay with me!
I have a feeling anyone in the upper deck will be able to move down... I also think the stadium will be about 85% BAMA although while showing some friends around in the West End and Victory Park areas today Wisconsin folks out numbered BAMA folks 3-1. That surprised me a little..

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
Home and home is the way to go but I'm sure we'll get schooled as to why this is a good thing.
The university makes a profit on these games--they break even on h/h's. When you simplify it that's what it comes down to. Not saying I agree with it, but that is the school of thought behind this trend.

Last edited:

bama579

Hall of Fame
Jan 15, 2005
The Chukker or Archibalds
The university makes a profit on these games--they break even on h/h's. When you simplify it that's what it comes down to. Not saying I agree with it, but that is the school of thought behind this trend.
How do you get to that statement? [boldface] I'm betting the home/home is profitable, too. Maybe break even on the the visiting leg of home/home, then rake in the $$ on the homestand is what you mean . . . ? The series is still profitable to Alabama.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
The major difference between these games and a home and home is that conferences own the home game rights for the respective teams. So, Alabama can't sign a deal to make money off the TV rights of a home and home any more than the other team can.

At a neutral site, from what I understand it gets treated like a bowl game. The rights do not belong to the conference, so Alabama can basically sell those rights, or in this case agree to compensation. This means Alabama not only gets tickets to sale but they also get guaranteed up front money in the millions. It's certainly lucrative, but I can't say for sure how that compares to a home and home. However, on the road on a home and home they will be getting practically nothing but a travel bill.

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
I'd have to see the figures on that one. My feelings and loyalty are with the school and the fans and not the almighty dollar. I've never been to the Georgia Dome or Jerry world and see no reason to. Bryant-Denny to me is the Holy Land of College Football.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
I'd have to see the figures on that one. My feelings and loyalty are with the school and the fans and not the almighty dollar. I've never been to the Georgia Dome or Jerry world and see no reason to. Bryant-Denny to me is the Holy Land of College Football.
Nick explained this several yrs ago on his coach's show. When you factor in travel expenses, h/h's do not make a financial profit for the university( or an acceptable amount of profit). Otoh, marquee games on neutral fields guarantee a huge financial payoff for the school and--according to Nick and not me--enhance recruiting efforts in key metro markets. I assume that the DFW area is one of these markets, along with Atlanta and others.

I miss the classic h/h match ups too--but again, this is the rationale behind this new trend according to our head coach.

Last edited:

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
If you want what's best for the program wouldn't that include wanting the program to make money? The more they make the more they can reinvest into the program right? Ultimately if we want a good "product" on the field that starts with wanting Alabama to have as much ammunition in the form of money as possible. I'm sure that's not the only thing Alabama gains from a neutral site game though.

I just want the program to be successful, honestly my concern for the fans in a particular area being able to watch the game live falls well below that. Besides, it's one game a year. I can't feel too much sympathy for people that get to be so close to so many Alabama games, they can live with one being further away.

Last edited:

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
Last year I attended my first Bama game in Tuscaloosa vs. MSU. My wife and I left home at 4:30am on Thursday to catch a 6:30am flight from Halifax to Toronto then 9:30am flight from Toronto to Atlanta. We picked up a rental car at the airport in Atlanta around 12:30pm and drove from there to our hotel in Hoover where we arrived at about 7 pm (Mrs. Fundy wanted to shop at the Summit on the way) that night.

We drove to campus from Hoover early on Friday to see campus then back to Hoover that night around 10pm and the same on game day. On Sunday morning we left Hoover at about 9am for Altanta to catch a 2pm flight to Toronto then a flight from Toronto to Halifax and were home around midnight before going back to work the next morning. Flights were about $1200, hotel was about $450, rental car $220 or so and probably a few hundred more on food and Bama gear we brought home with us. Boo Radley was kind enough to give us two tickets to the game at no charge despite our efforts to pay him at least face value. We very likely would not have made the trip without his help and generosity- just too expensive.

So, we traveled about 15 hours each way and spent about $2,000 for the trip. I've been a Bama fan for 30 years and had been longing to go to see a game in Bryant Denny for a very long time but with that kind of expense involved, I could always find a financial reason not to do it in those years when it was even financially possible.

Needless to say, it was a thrill of a lifetime and worth every penny. We would love to go to a game this year but its just not in the cards this year. But in my limited experience there is simply no comparison at all between watching at home on TV and being there live. Maybe it gets old after awhile (I'd love to find out for myself) but I still get chills just remembering being there.
That is awesome that you got to do that. I'm surprised we have such dedicated fans in Canada! Games are fun to watch on TV but it is hard to beat being there with the pulse of the crowd.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
From the web, one poster in particular. Bama will make ~ $15.5 mil from the next 3 neutral site games and would have made ~$12 mil from the same 3 h/h series. So, that is $5.5+ mil per game vs $2 mil per game. That seems to fit with what I have seen from more formal reports that Bama would make $4.5 mil for Wisc and $6 mil for USC. That would leave $5 mil for Louisville.

Over 6 years that would be $21,000,000.00. That would be a lot of money to turn down.

Along with other pros that have been mentioned, supposedly the players really like the ns games. They have a "bowl atmosphere".

tattooguy21

Suspended
Aug 14, 2012
Hey, come out to sherlocks tomorrow, just up the street from the stadium. We'll represent Bama in strength, numbers being what they are.....

I was here years ago for the UM game and enjoyed it. I'm mid 30s, and recently moved back to Bama. Fact is, I'm gonna go to the games for the experiences. As much as I love watching at home it in no way compares to being at the game. It's like a hug from a hot chick vs a hug from your mom.

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
From the web, one poster in particular. Bama will make ~ $15.5 mil from the next 3 neutral site games and would have made ~$12 mil from the same 3 h/h series. So, that is $5.5+ mil per game vs $2 mil per game. That seems to fit with what I have seen from more formal reports that Bama would make $4.5 mil for Wisc and $6 mil for USC. That would leave $5 mil for Louisville.

Over 6 years that would be $21,000,000.00. That would be a lot of money to turn down.

Along with other pros that have been mentioned, supposedly the players really like the ns games. They have a "bowl atmosphere".
Don't forget we play FSU before Louisville.

'15 Wisconsin (Dallas)
'16 USC (Dallas)
'17 FSU (Atlanta)
'18 Louisville (Orlando)

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
Don't forget we play FSU before Louisville.

'15 Wisconsin (Dallas)
'16 USC (Dallas)
'17 FSU (Atlanta)
'18 Louisville (Orlando)

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
Thanks for the correction. It actually makes more sense that Bama would receive $5 mil for FSU rather than Louisville which seems more like a $4 mil type game. But anyway thanks again - I just forgot about FSU.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Madison is a beautiful city and a great place to watch a college football game. Dallas - not so much. I get it, but would never attend one of these games.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
I have come to accept the big money aspect of college sports. It is not so much about the fans. It is about the marketability the program, your brand.

Games are moved to off site locations and game times are changed to meet the demands of television. It's not about putting "fannies in the seats' anymore. It is about viewership and expanding the appeal of your program.

The good? Larger revenue streams leading to state of the art facilities, a larger recruiting base, and the ability for many to watch the game without leaving the comfort of their homes.

The bad? Travel costs and ticket prices that are rapidly becoming out of reach for the grassroots fan. What "average joe" can afford a trip to Dallas, then the possibility of the SECCG in Atlanta, then, if things fall your team's way, possibly two trips for the CFB playoff?

I remember the simple joy as a kid in the 60's and teenager in the 70's of sitting in the stands at Legion Field or, at that time. Denny Stadium, and just watching the game. The rare tv appearance once or twice a year was a treat only if you weren't going to game. And everything about going was "manageable" from ticket prices, to travel, to concessions. It is what made me a die hard Crimson Tide fan.

I guess they those day are rapidly disappearing or already gone.

Of course, I also remember when World Series games were played in the afternoon....

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.