I've Watched Baylor And TCU

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
I'm sorry. I'm not impressed, in the least, at all, by either.
If those two teams are good football teams, then there are no good football teams.
That simple. Go Bama....look like a champion!
Sip

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
I watched both the games also and I see where you are coming from. However, it's just the first week and I would be cautious of overreacting. I mean after the first week last year Kenny Hill was the heisman front runner, aTm was a top 10 team, and OSU had no chance to make the playoffs when Braxton Miller got injured. It's just the 1st game. Also have to remember that Baylor is without two of their best defensive players in this game..

Last edited:

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
Something tells me that the media love affair with TCU and Baylor is going to evaporate this yr. they both are Johnny come lately's and won't stand the test of time.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
Something tells me that the media love affair with TCU and Baylor is going to evaporate this yr. they both are Johnny come lately's and won't stand the test of time.
The fact that Baylor just put their second string QB in, in the 4th quarter, after trying everything in their power to run the score up, which they finally did, geez.
He comes in and throws a bomb.
Please.
How impressive. After all...you have to consider..SMU won one game last year.
What a joke game.
sip

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I watched both the games also and I see where you are coming from. However, it's just the first week and I would be cautious of overreacting. I mean after the first week last year Kenny Hill was the heisman front runner, aTm was a top 10 team, and OSU had no chance to make the playoffs when Braxton Miller got injured. It's just the 1st game. Also have to remember that Baylor is without two of their best defensive players in this game..
I agree with this, Game 1 isn't always the best predictor for an entire season. Let's see how we do tomorrow.

bamablood6

1st Team
Mar 27, 2006
First game for everyone....I'm not saying they are any good....I'm just saying it is everyone's first game. I'm hoping Bama don't stink it up, and shows enough to shut those talking heads up (Especially both QBs).

im4uainva

All-SEC
Jul 3, 2011
Charlottesville, Va
I agree with this, Game 1 isn't always the best predictor for an entire season. Let's see how we do tomorrow.
Yes, Sir. That's my approach. Even though I predicted a score that would have Bama winning easily, I'm still going to be biting my nails until I actually see how Bama performs tonight. As always, I'm excited, anxious, and apprehensive at the same time. I love Bama Football.

ROLL TIDE!

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
Too early to predict a season but TCU and W Virginia have yet to prove they can sustain Power Five conference titles. Baylor has sustained. So ..... I predict TCU will not sustain and lose more than once this year.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Not impressed by either, but wins still count. At the end of this weekend roughly half of the teams will have already been eliminated, and these two teams are not among them.

I just want Alabama and the Bucks to win this week and stay in the hunt.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

Alabama 39 Middle TN State 34

Followed by........nearly knocking off #1 on the road in Norman, OK.

Alabama 21 Bowling Green 7

Won the SEC West and with a little luck could have been in the hunt.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Too early to predict a season but TCU and W Virginia have yet to prove they can sustain Power Five conference titles. Baylor has sustained. So ..... I predict TCU will not sustain and lose more than once this year.
Baylor has only won twice in the last 10 years, and both were flukey. Tcu actually wins bcs and major bowl games so why are you higher on Baylor? They are both in the same boat, but tcu atleast has something that resembles a defense

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I'd rather peak in November with a rough start (2009) than peak too soon and lose in November (2011, 2012, 2013)

im4uainva

All-SEC
Jul 3, 2011
Charlottesville, Va
I'd rather peak in November with a rough start (2009) than peak too soon and lose in November (2011, 2012, 2013)
If you're going to lose, lose early. Check '78 when Bama lost earlier, USC lost later, and even though a lot of people still felt USC was the better team, Bama was stilled crowned Co-champs. Mainly because they won out and were strong in the Bowl game. Roll Tide!

BamaBuc

All-American
May 12, 2003
St. Pete Beach, FL
crimson-fan.neocities.org
Not impressed by either, but wins still count. At the end of this weekend roughly half of the teams will have already been eliminated, and these two teams are not among them.

I just want Alabama and the Bucks to win this week and stay in the hunt.
But, come Nov. 7th how much will these two games factor into just where the playoff committee ranks TCU & Baylor - Pot-Luck, all wins don't count the same!
The one loss for the Gophers might not hurt them, depending on how the rest of their season goes - look at osu last year!
SMU will be within the group you say has already been eliminated.
Michigan St. didn't look all that great last night but, how good might Western Michigan be?

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I question the conclusion Baylor has sustained.

Baylor's rise to the top two in the Big 12 coincides with some rather convenient departures from the conference. In point of fact, Baylor's success is no different than West Virginia suddenly getting "good" when all the other powers left the Big East. Baylor owes its entire 'success' to the following:

a) Colorado, Nebraska, Missouri and aTm all left the conference.

Baylor went 1-1 against the current SEC teams in 2011, that was the RGIII Heisman year. Wanna know what Baylor's record was against those four teams from 1996-2010? Can you even guess how bad it was? Try 5-31. They never beat Nebraska, even though they played the Cornhuskers when they were a shell of their former selves. When they have won those games, it's pretty much: a) always close and b) in a down year for Colorado (one of those wins was against a 2-10 CU team).

b) TCU and WVA came into the conference

The Bears are 3-2 against those foes IN CONFERENCE PLAY. I realize that's a small sample but there's a huge difference pct wise between 3-2 and 5-31.

c) Oklahoma and Texas are 'down' compared to their former selves

OU is still pretty good but this is a team that used to be in the top five almost every year from 2000-2008. They take a step back, Baylor goes 3-1 the last four years against OU and voila! Then, there's Texas, who apparently departed when Colt McCoy's arm did. Baylor is also 3-1 against Texas in the last four years.

d) The Big 12 went from an eight-game conference schedule to a ninth - guaranteeing Baylor gets to drill Kansas every year.

Baylor doesn't get Kansas from 2007-2009. The Jayhawks rotate on in 2010 and become an annual opponent in 2012. Baylor is 4-0 against them.

So you subtract AT LEAST TWO annual losses from the old Big 12 every year and ADD FOUR WINS and sometimes FIVE PER YEAR.....and voila! You're suddenly viewed as a national power. Throw in the fact that Okie State is inconsistent (10 wins one year, 7 the next). In some seasons, you're trading three losses out and five wins in merely because of the time it is. What happens when you do that? A four-win team becomes a nine-win team and a 7-win team becomes an 11-win team.

In all honesty, this is no different than Mississippi State suddenly looking real good 1997-2000.......while Alabama and Ole Miss were both serving crippling probations, LSU was rebuilding, and Auburn was dealing with the post-Bowden fallout. All of a sudden, the Bulldogs look pretty good. Look at the teams they played from the East during that time frame:

1998 - 1-10 S Carolina, Kentucky, Vandy
1999 - 0-11 S Carolina, Vandy, Kentucky
2000 - S Carolina, Florida, Kentucky

MSU's record against the East? 7-1, including a spanking of Florida (it was nowhere near as close as the 47-35 score suggests)

So you add wins over two teams on probation (7-3 against us and Ole Miss from 96-00; from 90-95? 3-9), which is 1-2 wins plus per year, three plus wins on the East side of the ledger guaranteed, catch Auburn during the fallout of Terry Bowden (MSU went 4-0 vs them, including the year Auburn won the West) - which is another win - and suddenly a 5-win team is now a 9-win team......ten if you can get one of those lucky bounces.

And the moment the schedule shifts off and they suddenly have to play Florida, Tennessee, Georgia (MSU record vs those teams in the next four years? 1-3), South Carolina (who they play every year) gets good under Holtz (0-3 from 00-02), Ole Miss comes off probation (1-3 in 01-04), and Saban turns LSU into a monster, and Tuberville gets his team in place at Auburn (MSU goes from 4-0 to 0-4)........MSU falls right back to being MSU.

And that's what's happening to Baylor right now.

I don't mean to sound like I'm diminishing them because they still have to win the games but really.......as large as Texas is, there's plenty of talent to go around, which is the answer to the objection, "But this doesn't happen for Iowa State!" Of course it doesn't - Iowa State is the #2 program in a much smaller state where the weather in the fall is NOT an attraction for a recruit.

Baylor will remain a 6- or 7-win team but their days are numbered where they are now.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
But, come Nov. 7th how much will these two games factor into just where the playoff committee ranks TCU & Baylor - Pot-Luck, all wins don't count the same!
At the end of the season, they will be comparing losses first. No losses, hard to get left out. That was really my point.

sanjosecrimson

Hall of Fame
May 18, 2007
San Jose, California
I question the conclusion Baylor has sustained.

Baylor's rise to the top two in the Big 12 coincides with some rather convenient departures from the conference. In point of fact, Baylor's success is no different than West Virginia suddenly getting "good" when all the other powers left the Big East. Baylor owes its entire 'success' to the following:

a) Colorado, Nebraska, Missouri and aTm all left the conference.

Baylor went 1-1 against the current SEC teams in 2011, that was the RGIII Heisman year. Wanna know what Baylor's record was against those four teams from 1996-2010? Can you even guess how bad it was? Try 5-31. They never beat Nebraska, even though they played the Cornhuskers when they were a shell of their former selves. When they have won those games, it's pretty much: a) always close and b) in a down year for Colorado (one of those wins was against a 2-10 CU team).

b) TCU and WVA came into the conference

The Bears are 3-2 against those foes IN CONFERENCE PLAY. I realize that's a small sample but there's a huge difference pct wise between 3-2 and 5-31.

c) Oklahoma and Texas are 'down' compared to their former selves

OU is still pretty good but this is a team that used to be in the top five almost every year from 2000-2008. They take a step back, Baylor goes 3-1 the last four years against OU and voila! Then, there's Texas, who apparently departed when Colt McCoy's arm did. Baylor is also 3-1 against Texas in the last four years.

d) The Big 12 went from an eight-game conference schedule to a ninth - guaranteeing Baylor gets to drill Kansas every year.

Baylor doesn't get Kansas from 2007-2009. The Jayhawks rotate on in 2010 and become an annual opponent in 2012. Baylor is 4-0 against them.

So you subtract AT LEAST TWO annual losses from the old Big 12 every year and ADD FOUR WINS and sometimes FIVE PER YEAR.....and voila! You're suddenly viewed as a national power. Throw in the fact that Okie State is inconsistent (10 wins one year, 7 the next). In some seasons, you're trading three losses out and five wins in merely because of the time it is. What happens when you do that? A four-win team becomes a nine-win team and a 7-win team becomes an 11-win team.

In all honesty, this is no different than Mississippi State suddenly looking real good 1997-2000.......while Alabama and Ole Miss were both serving crippling probations, LSU was rebuilding, and Auburn was dealing with the post-Bowden fallout. All of a sudden, the Bulldogs look pretty good. Look at the teams they played from the East during that time frame:

1998 - 1-10 S Carolina, Kentucky, Vandy
1999 - 0-11 S Carolina, Vandy, Kentucky
2000 - S Carolina, Florida, Kentucky

MSU's record against the East? 7-1, including a spanking of Florida (it was nowhere near as close as the 47-35 score suggests)

So you add wins over two teams on probation (7-3 against us and Ole Miss from 96-00; from 90-95? 3-9), which is 1-2 wins plus per year, three plus wins on the East side of the ledger guaranteed, catch Auburn during the fallout of Terry Bowden (MSU went 4-0 vs them, including the year Auburn won the West) - which is another win - and suddenly a 5-win team is now a 9-win team......ten if you can get one of those lucky bounces.

And the moment the schedule shifts off and they suddenly have to play Florida, Tennessee, Georgia (MSU record vs those teams in the next four years? 1-3), South Carolina (who they play every year) gets good under Holtz (0-3 from 00-02), Ole Miss comes off probation (1-3 in 01-04), and Saban turns LSU into a monster, and Tuberville gets his team in place at Auburn (MSU goes from 4-0 to 0-4)........MSU falls right back to being MSU.

And that's what's happening to Baylor right now.

I don't mean to sound like I'm diminishing them because they still have to win the games but really.......as large as Texas is, there's plenty of talent to go around, which is the answer to the objection, "But this doesn't happen for Iowa State!" Of course it doesn't - Iowa State is the #2 program in a much smaller state where the weather in the fall is NOT an attraction for a recruit.

Baylor will remain a 6- or 7-win team but their days are numbered where they are now.
Selma,

You need your own section on Tidefans. You are superb on your breakdowns. This piece is no exception! !!

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.