Would still like to see Cooper Bateman get some reps.

melvinm

BamaNation Citizen
Oct 12, 2013
Coker seems a little hesitant and doesn't have mobility. I know he's (Coker) got decent stats, but still.

Last edited:

russtang

All-American
Apr 11, 2007
Central Alabama
www.uniquetitanium.com
I thought CB looked much more relaxed, smooth, fluid and has a nice quick delivery.
JK had good stats but looks stiff, robotic, and has a slow deliberate delivery.
Since it appears to be down to two guys, more reps will help both. Especially with the long ball.
We will be ok with either I think.

Rush

All-American
Jul 5, 2011
Ontario, Canada
I thought CB looked much more relaxed, smooth, fluid and has a nice quick delivery.
JK had good stats but looks stiff, robotic, and has a slow deliberate delivery.
Since it appears to be down to two guys, more reps will help both. Especially with the long ball.
We will be ok with either I think.

"LIKE"

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Coker made some correctable mistakes...he wasn't throwing blind into coverage like Auburn's Johnson earlier today. He's just gotta get a bit better with his internal clock and feel for when the pocket is gone then make the decision to tuck it or throw it away. He's not played in too many serious snaps in his career, hopefully with some coaching and experience he can learn that feel.

He's not Blake Sims quick but he's not terribly slow either. His problems were mostly in not feeling the situation out and making the decision to abandon the pocket quick enough. He's quick enough to make teams pay if the pocket breaks down and they're all ran off in man coverage. Will there be a ton of zone reads called? Probably not, but he can get out of the pocket and make a few yards.

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame
Coker made some correctable mistakes...he wasn't throwing blind into coverage like Auburn's Johnson earlier today. He's just gotta get a bit better with his internal clock and feel for when the pocket is gone then make the decision to tuck it or throw it away. He's not played in too many serious snaps in his career, hopefully with some coaching and experience he can learn that feel.

He's not Blake Sims quick but he's not terribly slow either. His problems were mostly in not feeling the situation out and making the decision to abandon the pocket quick enough. He's quick enough to make teams pay if the pocket breaks down and they're all ran off in man coverage. Will there be a ton of zone reads called? Probably not, but he can get out of the pocket and make a few yards.
I agree. Both played pretty well, but things just seemed to click better with Coker after the few series. He under threw 2 long balls, but Stewart actually slowed down on a perfectly thrown one. He is a work in progress, but overall 15/21, 219 yards, a TD and no INT's is a great debut, especially against what is a supposed to be against a pretty good defense.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
He threw a bad ball, receiver made him look bad on another, but he didn't throw any at a guy in white much less have one interception. He made some early poor decisions in regards to handling pressure and throwing the ball away but he got better with that before exiting the game.

I like what Cooper Bateman demonstrated and would like to see him get more snaps with the first string next week, but overall I think Coker seems like the favorite. Bateman may have earned his shot mainly as a fall back if Coker flailed under pressure. If Coker couldn't settle in as a passer, they may have been planning on going zone read option with the "triple" threat of the quick flip passes out wide.

M2J

All-American
Jan 28, 2007
I would say Coker did a good job. I feel like much of the issues could be worked out, but I can definitely see what Coach was saying leading up to the season.

Someone (Coker) needs to be able to take lead of the team, and I don't feel he has. Cooper seems more like that type of player, but his reads weren't quite as....experienced.

I think that we'd be fine with Coker, but not sure how confident I would feel with him in an adverse situation. Cooper, I feel like he could be a star that can lead, but he just needs more experience.

With our schedule, and having 3 very tough games (including this one). I can see why coach feels more secure going in with the more experienced QB, while relying on our run game. However, I definitely think it's a great idea to groom Cooper just in case.

Another big test in 2 weeks.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Saban said so many positive things about Coker that I find it hard to believe he isn't a prohibitive favorite. I've never heard him say something like "he always threw it to the right guy" until tonight. He also said "he never put the ball in harm's way." That's pretty glowing as far as Saban is concerned with a QB. About the worse thing he said was "we missed some 50/50 balls but thats how it goes."

TheTradition

All-SEC
Nov 6, 2010
Alabaster, AL
Maybe I watched a different game than some of you guys, but I thought Coker was extremely impressive. Sure, it was a little bumpy the first few drives, but I didn't expect anything less. Actually, I was shocked by how good the offense was early on. He took a few sacks he shouldn't have and had the one deep ball that was way off, but other than that, he was rock solid. He was under a lot of pressure to play well tonight, and he delivered.

I liked what I saw from Coop as well. I'm sure he will get a ton of reps next week against MTSU. He can have some kind of role on this team.

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
I texted a friend on our second or third possession: "Pivotal series for Jake already?" And, of course, we scored and that was mostly that.

Got to say, I was impressed more and more with his reads as the game wore on, and I finally saw he straight-line speed some of y'all have been talking about on his scramble. Bateman looks like an excellent backup at this point, and we'll need it, I'm afraid. Our pass blocking was one of the dirty little secrets of an otherwise solid night. If it doesn't improve, Jake makes for a big target.

CRMSNtide

1st Team
Jul 4, 2011
Coker has some issues like the hitch in his delivery, but i thought he played well, made the correct reads.
Heck, the guy looked like he was on his way to a 300 yard game if we would have needed more points.

Bateman has quick feet and a pretty quick release, i think Coker will be the starter, but Bateman could be an interesting change up guy if they want to give him a package of plays.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
Maybe I watched a different game than some of you guys, but I thought Coker was extremely impressive. Sure, it was a little bumpy the first few drives, but I didn't expect anything less. Actually, I was shocked by how good the offense was early on. He took a few sacks he shouldn't have and had the one deep ball that was way off, but other than that, he was rock solid. He was under a lot of pressure to play well tonight, and he delivered.

I liked what I saw from Coop as well. I'm sure he will get a ton of reps next week against MTSU. He can have some kind of role on this team.
If we can loosen him up a little he'll be ok. He can flat out throw and he has pretty good mobility. The indecisiveness, however, needs to depart the arena.

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA
I agree. Both played pretty well, but things just seemed to click better with Coker after the few series. He under threw 2 long balls, but Stewart actually slowed down on a perfectly thrown one. He is a work in progress, but overall 15/21, 219 yards, a TD and no INT's is a great debut, especially against what is a supposed to be against a pretty good defense.
Both QBs and the receiver corps are all a little green. The one with the most experience out there is strangely enough OJ Howard (and the backs of course). Will be a work in progress and most likely get better as the season goes on.

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA
Coker has some issues like the hitch in his delivery, but i thought he played well, made the correct reads.
Heck, the guy looked like he was on his way to a 300 yard game if we would have needed more points.

Bateman has quick feet and a pretty quick release, i think Coker will be the starter, but Bateman could be an interesting change up guy if they want to give him a package of plays.
Yup and he could have supplied those if needed. Green and all. We could do a LOT worse than have Coker back there. He'll do fine as will Bateman when called on.

smokewagon212

All-SEC
Aug 28, 2003
Macon, Georgia

AGREED

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
It's easy to see what Coach meant when talking about his quarterbacks. Both are extremely talented and just need experience. Coker's biggest mistakes was on a couple of plays he took sacks. On one he kept running backwards instead of just going down. That can be fixed. Bateman looks like he may have a higher ceiling. When he learns to see the field better and recognize what the defense is giving him, he will be a great player. He missed seeing a wide open guy across the middle. That too can be fixed. I was very pleased with both for the most part.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
I would not be surprised if they have set package of plays for Bateman going forward through the season, much like the "change up" you see between Henry and Drake at running back.

I'm not saying they would use Cooper in that package every game, but if you "show it", it gives the other guys something else to prepare for.

Of course I don't get paid $6 million to coach, so I'll leave that up to the guy that does. He's done okay....

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.