Game Thread: Post-game thread: Bama defeats Wisconsin 35-17

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
As I have said before - trust in the QB whisperer. If Coker didn't impress anyone with his first half in his first college start, then those people just don't see the game the way I do. He just missed Ridley on a sure 6 and that will come with time since they didn't have spring together. CB will be fine as well, Bama is in good shape with two good potential starters.
The lines on both sides are nasty. Humphrey just missed a deflection by an inch, but the DB's do have to react a little better IMO. I loved to see that back folding up when RF had a bead on him. And SDH chased someone down and that was impressive.
Kicking game - sweet Jesus there's a problem and you have to start with the position coach. Both of these guys have immense talent, and this has been an issue with at least one phase ever since BW has been at Bama. I am going to be seriously disappointed if AG misses a game-winning 35-40 yd FG.
I saw some stupid penalties too, and that has to stop. Holding, etc are penalties that hurt but an open field block in the back is unacceptable, IMO. (on a side note I lost a little for Herbie on the PF call when the Wisky lineman hit JC in the face when he was down; and he only slightly backpedaled with the "slow motion" comment - the dang official was right on top of the play.)
I'd have to rate it as a B - B+ performance; great game for the first one against a quality opponent, great individual and overall efforts and plenty of teaching opportunities.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I see us as atleast 10 wins, probably more. Ole miss will let us know. Them, ATM, and arky are the biggest ?s on the season after last night IMO. I think we have a heck of a run defense that's why I think we matchup better against UGA, auburn, and lsu at the moment. But ole miss is going to be tough.

Oh mtsu can't be overlooked either, but I doubt it's interesting because I think CNS is done losing to teams like that. I hope we don't suffer injuries in it.

bama579

Hall of Fame
Jan 15, 2005
The Chukker or Archibalds
Late in the game I thought I saw a #7 playing in our defensive backfield. The only #7 on our roster is Cam Sims, and it wasn't ? him. Was it #27 - Shawn Burgess-Becker - and I need new glasses?

Anyone else?

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Late in the game I thought I saw a #7 playing in our defensive backfield. The only #7 on our roster is Cam Sims, and it wasn't ? him. Was it #27 - Shawn Burgess-Becker - and I need new glasses?

Anyone else?
Noticed the same. SBB doesn't have dreadlocks AFAIK. I'm not sure who that #7 was.

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame
I would characterize that news as the shocker of the night for me.

I follow the team as closely as I can from up here, and that is the first I'd heard of this...
But is Herbstreit right? I mean, wouldn't bad punting have been noticed during the media viewing period? Admiringly, I have no idea if they are punting at that point.
Noticed the same. SBB doesn't have dreadlocks AFAIK. I'm not sure who that #7 was.
I'm glad I'm not going crazy. With Ryan Anderson moving to number #22, I couldn't figure out who was wearing #7 on defense.

bama579

Hall of Fame
Jan 15, 2005
Last edited:

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
According to the participation thread you recently put up, Tony Brown is one of two #7s. I also noticed that the same report has Hand and Payne sharing #9, which seems strange because it means they can't be on the field at the same time. Same for Sylve and C Miller with #3.

http://www.rolltide.com/sports/m-footbl/stats/2015-2016/01ua-wis.html#GAME.PRE
You're right. It was Tony Brown. By changing his number, he and Henry can be on special teams together.

Notice on guys like Payne and Hand, there are varying letters after the number. That's why I said "sometimes questionable" in the other thread.

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame
I see us as atleast 10 wins, probably more. Ole miss will let us know. Them, ATM, and arky are the biggest ?s on the season after last night IMO. I think we have a heck of a run defense that's why I think we matchup better against UGA, auburn, and lsu at the moment. But ole miss is going to be tough.

Oh mtsu can't be overlooked either, but I doubt it's interesting because I think CNS is done losing to teams like that. I hope we don't suffer injuries in it.
Ole Miss is going to be tough no doubt, but I believe we are better equipped to run straight at them this year. That is the weakness of their defense and even though they dominated yesterday, they gave up several long runs to UT-Martin. UTM averaged 3.0 YPC and would have been more without sack yardage. UTM's top 2 RB's averaged 4.5 and 4.4 YPC, respectively. I say we pound, pound, and pound them some more in BDS! When Kelly went down last year, we got away from that, and IMO it is why we lost.

bama579

Hall of Fame
Jan 15, 2005
You're right. It was Tony Brown. By changing his number, he and Henry can be on special teams together.

Notice on guys like Payne and Hand, there are varying letters after the number. That's why I said "sometimes questionable" in the other thread.
Okay coach Saban . . . I'm thrilled you are our coach . . But WHY IS HENRY ON SPECIAL TEAMS? :wink:

We're a bit thin at RB, sir. :biggrin2:

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame

Yes, Payne wore 94 last night when he was on defense and the chart shows "9B". The chart shows the only "94" as Dakota Ball.

BamaSully

1st Team
Oct 13, 1999
Jackson, TN
Sip and Moro,

Please expound.

I had a few obnoxiously loud, swear-word laden, outbursts early in the game, but was finally able to breathe deeply and smile shortly after halftime. At this point, if you don't see Bama as easily one of the best teams in the country with as good a chance at the playoffs as anyone, please explain why.

By saying that we better improve quickly, I will assume you are referring to concerns about the Ole Miss game in two weeks. We traditionally DRILL Ole Miss at home and they give us trouble in Oxford. Are you saying that without significant improvement we stand to lose that game?

Disclaimer: I also believe we need to improve. It was the first game. That is normal. We are coached by THE MASTER when it comes to identifying the areas of needed improvement and driving for those improvements.

WE.

WILL.

BE.

FINE.

That is all

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
How did everyone like the fly sweep motion that we seemed to use all night on offense? Looks like it may be a permanent wrinkle in the offense considering how many times we used it. I personally really liked the added motion or "window dressing."

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame
How did everyone like the fly sweep motion that we seemed to use all night on offense? Looks like it may be a permanent wrinkle in the offense considering how many times we used it. I personally really liked the added motion or "window dressing."
I loved it! That motion is commonly used by teams to a manufacture a power running game, but we already have that. You, I, and every DC in the SEC knows there's all kinds of things that can be done out of that formation, so it's a "stack the box at your own peril" kinda thing!

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Sip and Moro,

Please expound.

I had a few obnoxiously loud, swear-word laden, outbursts early in the game, but was finally able to breathe deeply and smile shortly after halftime. At this point, if you don't see Bama as easily one of the best teams in the country with as good a chance at the playoffs as anyone, please explain why.

By saying that we better improve quickly, I will assume you are referring to concerns about the Ole Miss game in two weeks. We traditionally DRILL Ole Miss at home and they give us trouble in Oxford. Are you saying that without significant improvement we stand to lose that game?

Disclaimer: I also believe we need to improve. It was the first game. That is normal. We are coached by THE MASTER when it comes to identifying the areas of needed improvement and driving for those improvements.

WE.

WILL.

BE.

FINE.

That is all
I think we beat ole miss but it's going to be a huge fight. While there are more positives to say than negatives. Our negatives are the same as last year, an up and down pass rush and we don't cover recievers well. It might be because we were selling out for the run but with Kelly and treadwell coming we might need some Prilosec if we aren't improved in those regards. Also our oline MUST pass block better or else a Coker better become Ben roethlisberger before that game in terms of big man elusiveness.

We will be fine but it's just a game that you would rather have a week later.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Ole Miss is going to be tough no doubt, but I believe we are better equipped to run straight at them this year. That is the weakness of their defense and even though they dominated yesterday, they gave up several long runs to UT-Martin. UTM averaged 3.0 YPC and would have been more without sack yardage. UTM's top 2 RB's averaged 4.5 and 4.4 YPC, respectively. I say we pound, pound, and pound them some more in BDS! When Kelly went down last year, we got away from that, and IMO it is why we lost.
i think drake will have a huge game vs them

Tidetwin

All-American
May 15, 2006
Northeast Georgia
I'm pretty optimistic about this team. The OL has a lot better push on the interior than the past two years...which is great because getting Henry downhill is the recipe for success with him. CamRob had a disjointed night, some pass protection lapses but he showed out at times too. Overall, I think we're closer to getting back to physical dominance on offense today than any point in 2013 and 2014. Considering the offensive mix, a strong OL is critical and we might have one this year.

I see a lot of different guys in the passing attack that can make plays but no Cooper or Julio type that can create plays. Again, this kinda falls on the OL and run game to work the situations into our skill position player's favor in the passing game. This evaluation of mine is definitely subject to change. We probably saw a relatively controlled plan compared to what is likely to be used once they get confidence in the passing attack.

The offensive unit kinda reminds me of the 2009 or 2011 units. We're going to spread the ball around in the passing game and focus on running the ball. I kinda like an offensive balance between the run and pass where the passing numbers spread out between 3 or 4 guys. It makes tendencies hard to form because there is no clear receiver to stop but instead a group of guys who are all pretty good.
Our young wide receivers appear to have other worldly speed and potential. We didn't throw the deep ball well but when we do . . .

tidefan82

1st Team
Aug 16, 2000
Opp,Alabama,U.S.
Calvin Ridley looked really good! Impressed by several other receivers as well! Coker has to learn to roll out and throw the ball away instead of taking those long sacks!

That and the fact Drake got hurt. Bama really wasn't the same after that.

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus RTR

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Is anybody else as excited about seeing more of Calvin Ridley as I am? Wow. He just jumped off the TV screen at me. His cuts, the way he catches the ball (snatches it with his hands), the way he accelerates upfield after catching it. Wow once more. Coker underthrew him by a hair on the long ball, but go back and watch his route... his cut, his fluidity. Looked reminiscent of Cooper to me. I'm anxious to see more.
I thought the same thing, especially after seeing that cut which got him wide open. That's a heavy burden we are putting on Ridley, but as a true freshman, he's already showing some big time potential.

And what about Robert Foster finally having his breakout!?

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.